DVDVR Message Board

MITB 2018 POST SHOW THREAD

RIPPA

Who'd have thought that the worker that could put Nia over best as a classic monster heel would be Ronda fucking Rousey?  I went into that match thinking I would hate it and it turned out to be one of the best matches on the card.  I'm hoping they'll keep the Rousey / Jax program going on for a bit even though Alexa is now the champ for reasons I cannot even begin to fathom.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Alexa Bliss had her revenge on Nia Jax. #AlexaWasRight.

That’s the problem though: she’s a heel who is always right, beating (basically always cleanly) every babyface challenger whom she insisted wasn’t good enough for precisely the reasons she insisted they weren’t good enough. She finally lost to Nia, but Jax’s immediate bully heel pivot allows people to say Alexa was right all along, and now yes, she has her “revenge”.

It would be more satisfying to me if the gap between her presentation and in-ring performance wasn’t so large, but it... is.

There are obvious differences, but I wonder if this might end up being a Rollins cash-in scenario, a tremendous moment where hindsight nonetheless will say doing the “obvious” thing and putting over the company’s anointed face would have been smarter. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, DreamBroken said:

Dying at when Coach tried to explain how Ronda could get some rest in while Nia put her in a bearhug and Cole screamed him down "REST? WHAT DO YOU MEAN REST SHE'S GOT HER ARMS WRAPPED AROUND HER!!"

What's the deal with Coach's one word for each hour? They never really enforce that. He just keeps speaking.

So Alexa cashed in and Braun is likely to get rid of his case in the near future? Best MITB ever!

1 hour ago, EVA said:

Bryan/Cass kinda reminded me of one of those random Bret Hart title defenses circa 94-95 where he would just take apart the Berzerker or some other big guy for 15 minutes.

Big, big difference in terms of quality between The Berzerker and C*ss. A closer comparison to Colin Cassidy would be Papa Shango. 

...and just because this features the classic John Nord shirt

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Norwegian Rudo said:

Alexa's needs don't really enter into it; she's just the one they wanted Ronda to chase until Summerslam. She's the best heel and the best talker so it makes sense.

I get that, and if her entire role is to transition the title to Ronda then that’s fine. But imagine that same cash in scenario with Sasha and I’m way more interested. It’s just preference really. I guess Sasha has her “feud” with Bayley while Alexa wasn’t really doing anything.

I feel like Becky falling off a ladder and landing on her face while Alexa climbs the ladder and wins the title is a pretty fitting summary of the women's divisions since Alexa's megapush began.  As a bonus, they managed to make both Becky (can't figure out how to unhook briefcase) and Asuka look dim-witted (apparently has no idea that other people can wear masks).

Mostly disliked women's matches.  Mostly thought men's matches were average.  AJ/Nakamura had some good stretches, but wasn't a classic match between them, most of the other matches were forgettable.  Braun is basically a primer on how not to handle a monster.  They don't really know what to do with him, and letting him run through everybody really doesn't help any of them.

Coachman tackling about resting while in a bearhug certainly killed that move dead.  He's had broadcasting jobs outside of WWE.  I guess no one wanted to rehire him.  I guess he couldn't get another mainstream job.  I don't recall him being this mind-numbingly bad before.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Keep Calm, Akira Hokuto On said:

I feel like Becky falling off a ladder and landing on her face while Alexa climbs the ladder and wins the title is a pretty fitting summary of the women's divisions since Alexa's megapush began.  As a bonus, they managed to make both Becky (can't figure out how to unhook briefcase) and Asuka look dim-witted (apparently has no idea that other people can wear masks).

Mostly disliked women's matches.  Mostly thought men's matches were average.  AJ/Nakamura had some good stretches, but wasn't a classic match between them, most of the other matches were forgettable.  Braun is basically a primer on how not to handle a monster.  They don't really know what to do with him, and letting him run through everybody really doesn't help any of them.

Coachman tackling about resting while in a bearhug certainly killed that move dead.  He's had broadcasting jobs outside of WWE.  I guess no one wanted to rehire him.  I guess he couldn't get another mainstream job.  I don't recall him being this mind-numbingly bad before.

Becky already looked a bit silly trying to overkill Lana with a suplex while Naomi had her hands the briefcase.

I figure Braun cashes in the moment Reigns goes over Lesnar so that they can continue the 'Reigns is getting screwed' angle.

Don't have much else to add - think everyone here kinda nailed it. Decent show other than that silly Alexa thing.

The only logical angle for Braun is to make it so Brock is obviously afraid to show up at any show because he knows Braun will IMMEDIATELY walk out and cash in right to his face. Eventually he is ordered to appear but Heyman hires hundreds of goons to keep Braun from getting to the ring.  The first two hours of RAW are then a live-action remake of Streets of Rage. Then 20 minutes of Braun dribbling Heyman like a big beach ball and 40 minutes of Braun pummeling Brock while dollar amounts float out of his body.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4

The cash-in has to take place inside a WWE ring, doesn't it?  I mean, it's not like the old hardcore title where you could cash in anytime anywhere 24/7.  

It that's the case, Brock may have a foolproof plan to hang on to the title.  There probably aren't many places on Earth you're less likely to find Brock Lesnar than in a WWE ring.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Keep Calm, Akira Hokuto On said:

It that's the case, Brock may have a foolproof plan to hang on to the title.  There probably aren't many places on Earth you're less likely to find Brock Lesnar than in a WWE ring.

1) A Toni Morrison-themed book club meeting?

2) A LAN party?

3) A Vampire: The Masquerade LARP session?

4) A Tacocat concert?

1 minute ago, Curt McGirt said:

I like how everybody is acting like Alexa already has the belt when she just has the briefcase

Um, it seems you may have missed part of the show.  I’m afraid I have some bad news...

• Haha 10

4 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I like how everybody is acting like Alexa already has the belt when she just has the briefcase

10 Alexa Bliss defeated Nia Jax (c) Singles match for the WWE Raw Women's Championship[36]
This was Bliss' Money in the Bank cash-in match
0:35
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, piranesi said:

1) A Toni Morrison-themed book club meeting?

2) A LAN party?

3) A Vampire: The Masquerade LARP session?

4) A Tacocat concert?

All of the above.

47 minutes ago, piranesi said:

The only logical angle for Braun is to make it so Brock is obviously afraid to show up at any show because he knows Braun will IMMEDIATELY walk out and cash in right to his face. Eventually he is ordered to appear but Heyman hires hundreds of goons to keep Braun from getting to the ring.  The first two hours of RAW are then a live-action remake of Streets of Rage. Then 20 minutes of Braun dribbling Heyman like a big beach ball and 40 minutes of Braun pummeling Brock while dollar amounts float out of his body.

I'd say Final Fight is a teeny bit more apt, since Braun is a shave away from being Mike Haggar. 

220px-Haggar.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The Alexa spot should have been Natalya. They have been building this "friendship"  since Natalya jumped from SD (as a heel) to RAW and now was suddenly a face and "best friend" with Ronda. Seems to have obviously been set up to have Natalya turn on Ronda. Her winning the case and doing the cash in exactly how Alexa did would've been a much better story. 

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, MonteCarl said:

The Alexa spot should have been Natalya. They have been building this "friendship"  since Natalya jumped from SD (as a heel) to RAW and now was suddenly a face and "best friend" with Ronda. Seems to have obviously been set up to have Natalya turn on Ronda. Her winning the case and doing the cash in exactly how Alexa did would've been a much better story. 

Natayla turning on Ronda is one of those "Wrestling Booking 101" things that makes a lot of sense but is too "wrasslin'" for Vince's tastes, so he'll never do it.  I'm kinda skeptical he'd ever give Natayla that good a spot, but i would have said the same thing about pairing her with Ronda in the first place.  Besides, Alexa's megapush must continue.  Based on last night, Ronda appears to already be better in the ring than Alexa by a large margin.  I can't imagine what the matches are going to be like, especially if Alexa gets booked to go over (which wouldn't surprise me).

I didn't mind Ellsworth's return, but there doesn't seem like much upside to letting Carmella hang onto the belt, especially since she's basically Alexa's mini-me in terms of gimmick and skills.  Lol, anyone remember the six months Carmella rarely got booked on TV?