DVDVR Message Board

MITB 2018 POST SHOW THREAD

RIPPA

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Probably wishful thinking believing this show will end at 11:15

Shows what you know!   

Poor dead Kevin Owens. Also, congrats to future murder victim Alexa Bliss. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Rick said:

say what you want about Ronda having the benefit of practicing her matches beforehand (I mean, doesn't everybody else at the PC?) but her selling is top notch. I mean, 200 matches deep top notch. She's 2/2 in show stealing matches so far.

Ronda Rousey's selling was....astounding to me given what I expected from her.  From the moment of that powerbomb she genuinely looked surprised and terrified and kind of helpless. Even in her comeback she seemed unsure and there was this tension that it would go sideways at any moment. They had a narrative, that this was the first time she was feeling the power of a real "pro wrestler" "for real" and she played it perfectly. I mean in some ways it boiled down to a very typical monster vs. technician WWE match, but the story they layered over it and her acting made it a lot more dramatic.

It ended up being one of the more interestng match narratives in recent memory.

• Like 8

The state of the women's division on both brands,  garbage.  Alexa and Carmella both need A LOT of work in the ring.  I don't think Alexa took one bump during the ladder match and it wasn't part of the story, it's legit because she doesn't know how to bump.   Asuka....   going nowhere...     the Ellsworth thing is beyond played out.  

That said,   Ronda looked great again and her and Nia were having a pretty good match.  

Styles/Nakamura was pretty damn good.  

Rest of the show was ok.  

• Like 3

I turned the show on late, in the middle of the snoozefest, er, match between Nak and AJ. I need to go back and watch some stuff. 

But Ronda v Nia was far, far better than I expected. I have never seen Nia look like such a monster, and Ronda for the second time has impressed the hell out of me. The Bliss cash-in was a great way to keep Ronda from a decision. (and I like Bliss, so I am good with her winning the belt) 

The Men's ladder match was terrific. Anytime Kevin Owens gets murdered is okay by me, and it happened a bunch of times tonight. Joe looked tough, the crowd was behind Kofi, and Rusev got a nice comedy spot. 

• Like 1

hey guys, you know it was "too hard to book Asuka" when she was undefeated, so we had to end her winning streak so that we can more easily execute quality booking without that getting in the way. So, now that we've got that albatross off our necks, watch this!

• Like 6
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, piranesi said:

Ronda Rousey's selling was....astounding to me given what I expected from her.  From the moment of that powerbomb she genuinely looked surprised and terrified and kind of helpless. Even in her comeback she seemed unsure and there was this tension that it would go sideways at any moment. They had a narrative, that this was the first time she was feeling the power of a real "pro wrestler" "for real" and she played it perfectly.

It ended up being one of the more interestng match narratives in recent memory.

Falling out of the ring didn't hurt. I think that was accidental, but Nia really capitalized with the ragdoll shots to the barrier. 

Might be the best match I have ever seen from Nia. I am wicked impressed. I hope she keeps watching Aja Kong, Awesome Kong, and Vader tapes. And maybe a little Mark Henry.

• Like 4

Elias/Rollins was really good though the ending was stupid.

I didn't have high expectations for Rhonda/Nia but it wasn't bad at all and while I wasn't a fan of Alexa winning the MITB match, her cashing in was the best possible way to end the title bout.

The men's MITB match was fun and one of the right guys won.  Hopefully they finally pull the trigger on Strowman.

Bryan got what he could out of Cass but that match was twice as long as it needed to be.

Rest of the card was forgettable to bad.  The Smackdown title match....woof.  I don't know what was worse, Carmella's lack of selling and getting way too much offense or Asuka just standing there for two minutes looking blankly at Ellsworth.

I would’ve bet the farm on someone from SDL winning the MITB. Not sure what winning the briefcase really does for Braun though. I do like that the top two contenders for Brock’s title are people he’s beaten multiple times easily.

The crowd being hot for Kofi might be a good sign if they don’t want to go AJ/Joe for SummerSlam

• Like 1

Both ladder matches were good. The finishing stretch of Nak/AJ was good. The crowd was hot. Probably the best main roster ppv this year so far, which is somewhat a low bar...

Bryan vs. Cass was a surprisingly good match. It helped that the crowd was molten for Bryan and he was on point throughout the whole match, but props to Cass (who I can’t stand) for keeping up and having th me best match of his career so far.

Aj vs. Nakamura finally had a satisfying match in WWE, that finishing stretch with the scary Styles Clash, the low blow heard around the world and the picture perfect forearm through the table were beautiful.

Ronda is a natural and I love all the little things she gets right in the ring. The way she applies submissions and the way she tries to get out of holds looks so so good and much better than the rest of the roster who usually just scream and crawl to the ropes. I wish her style of doing this would be used more.

Both ladder matches were OK but forgettable compared to others MITB matches, the best bit was Miz’s facial expression to Braun staring at him.

Overall an enjoyable show and the best WWE PPV since the Rumble, but it still can touch the quality of the Takeovers.

• Like 1

I tuned in late because I went to Yankees Old Timer's Day. I managed to get a ball for a kid who was celebrating his 10th birthday. Onto MITB, I'm up to AJ/Nakamura, but I don't think I'm going to finish the show. I skipped Roman/Jinder and Asuka/Carmella. The Ellsworth spoiler was a crushing blow. I was so glad after he was released. His act ran its course so fucking fast. Asuka will eventually win the title after her buzz has completely died. I liked the women's MITB, but Alexa again? I get it. She's blonde and hot as fuck, but that's not what I watch women's wrestling for. Did Braun need to win the MITB to go after Brock at Summerslam? AJ/Joe was right fucking there. The only money WWE is getting out of me is for nxt/205 Live/UK guys; everything that has nothing to do with Raw and Smackdown. I should have gone with my gut reaction and not even bothered with this show. Fuck it all, burn it down.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Overly Critical Man said:

Speaking of Big Cass, whose bright idea was to let one of the least coordinated guys on the roster attempt a Burning Hammer on a man with a history of concussions and neck problems. Holy hell, people

Probably DB's idea...

• Like 1

Go to hellsworth.

Why was Asuka just standing there like a mystified idiot?  Like a mystified mystic idiot. Like Ultimate Warrior talking to his hands and almost getting himself counted out against Savage at WrestleMania VII. Does the mask represent some diety that she thought suddenly materialized into a man? When Ellsworth revealed himself, why didn’t she immediately punt him in the nuts instead of just standing there like she saw her dead uncle who used to clean himself like a cat at the dinner table? Ellsworth should’ve glued on some chin balls like Butters in the Freak Strike episode. 

About the time that Ronda was screwing around on the top rope, I knew she wasn’t going to win. It just seemed like random match filler to forestall some twist ending. Then about five seconds later it popped into my head that Alexa was going to cash in.  Ronda flying around for Bliss looked as ridiculous to me (to be fair, Daneil Singh posting Roman looked equally silly) as whatever the hell I imagine Cornette gets so worked up with over Kenny Omega working with children and inflatable dolls even though that’s just a goof. Hell, at least she’s over though unlike the inexplicable Carmella garbage. Speaking of goofs, them making a big deal out of Asuka’s streak now seems like some big rib on the audience.  Everything that’s went down with the Smackdown Women’s Title post WrestleMania is borderline fingerpoke of doom foolishness.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3