DVDVR Message Board

Super Show-Down - 10/6/2018

Web Conn

I've waited over 25 years for a show at the G, there was no way I wasn't going, despite how meh I was to the card.

It didn't disappoint. It didn't wow. It was every bit what I expected. 

Buddy/Cedric was MOTN. Everything else was phoned in, I wish I'd been to the MCW show beforehand which apparently kicked all sorts of ass.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, L_W_P said:

Ugh at the caption calling that a German Suplex...

And they are claiming over 75,000 fans when the WWE attendance was just on 70? And they name drop Orton as part of the show? "fans lapped up every fake punch" Who the fuck wrote this?

*checks*

Fuck you Alecks Devic... whoever you are.

That's from the Herald Sun, which is a garbage newspaper anyway. If they're not talking about football or pushing Rupert Murdoch's political agenda they're barely interested.

• Like 2

I watched this since I could not sleep. 

Beyond Joe/AJ, this was a very uninspired show. 

What is the deal with New Day and the pancakes? Their gimmick gets worse every year.

Could not finish main event. Felt awful for Taker and Hunter has become his fear of being a forty something overstaying his welcome. 

Braun breaking the triple power bomb with a spear was sweet. But I still don't care. 

Renee is really bad on commentary. She sounds like a lady Art Donovan. She is about as bad as Coach. Wish it was Cole and Grsves. Corey kinda sucks, but is tolerable. 
Cole's reputation has grown in my eyes. He can do passable commentary in that shit environment. 

The Iconics are not good. Their match seemed like one of those tryouts they would run in the old days. Them and Buddy are so low on the totem pole, Vince forgot to job them. 

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Victator said:

Could not finish main event. Felt awful for Taker and Hunter has become his fear of being a forty something overstaying his welcome. 

That match was a terrible idea. It was Heroes of Wrestling level bad, which at least had the comedic value of drunk as fuck Jake Roberts. Someone close to Taker needs to beg him to stop. We know he's not hurting for money. I just looked it up and found an article from earlier this year that says he's still doing real estate. He's end of career Ken Griffey, Jr. or Alex Rodriguez level sad.

7 hours ago, Jamal said:

I liked both women's tag matches. Really great and well deserved moment for the IIconics. You could tell that they were over the moon. Sorry to see the Riott Squad lose though as this win would have been great for them. 

This match probably is the exception that proves the rule for it.

There's a number of cases where you have someone who's a great face/heel, but when they turn, they end up being a really bad worker in the other disposition. Through the indy work of the IIconics (where they usually worked face), there was always that question "are they bad, or are they merely playing out of position as heels?"

Considering it was notably one of their better matches and this was the first time they came close to working face in WWE, I think that's a slight enough sample size to say that they merely just might be better faces than heels.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

He's end of career Ken Griffey, Jr. or Alex Rodriguez level sad.

FWIW, I'd much rather watch Griffey or A-Rod at the end of the careers than the Oldertaker.

I can't imagine buying a house from a heavily tatted-up ex-wrestler.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, offspring515 said:

I’m really confused seeing the tepid response to Joe/AJ. I thought it was probably a MOTY contender for WWE. Everyone else seems to think it was bland to bad. 

The problem with Joe vs AJ was that the match didn't fit the storyline.  I mean Samoa Joe was actually stalking AJ Styles family that was so over the line that AJ had to beg Paige not to fire him.   So you have the ultimate fight and while it was really good it didn't seem to have the same level of hate as the last match.   the only difference was a table and a couple chair shots.   It was like most no DQ matches at house shows to me. 

I mean it wasn't Triple H vs Randy Orton WM Houston level of the match not fitting the story line but it just needed a lot more hate 

1 hour ago, Player One said:

FWIW, I'd much rather watch Griffey or A-Rod at the end of the careers than the Oldertaker.

I can't imagine buying a house from a heavily tatted-up ex-wrestler.

Oh yeah, Griffey and A-Rod weren't as painful to watch at the end.

10 hours ago, JonnyLaw said:

AJ at least came out without doing his normal pose and they went straight at it.

I loved Joe waiting in the aisle for AJ. That was a nice touch. Rather Joe tapping out, they should have had him pass out from the pain. Then, Joe can say "I took everything you had and you couldn't make me tap out." and he looks like even more of a badass.

12 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

That match was a terrible idea. It was Heroes of Wrestling level bad, which at least had the comedic value of drunk as fuck Jake Roberts. Someone close to Taker needs to beg him to stop. We know he's not hurting for money. I just looked it up and found an article from earlier this year that says he's still doing real estate. He's end of career Ken Griffey, Jr. or Alex Rodriguez level sad.

If they kept it to a under ten minute spectacle it could have worked. But most likely Hunter wanted to do an epic. The Rusev and Cena matches showed Taker can at least do squashes. 

The promotion wanted us to think this was an epic rivalry. But nobody thinks of them as rivals, beyond younger fans who came of age during the two Mania matches. But at this point wrestling is mainly hardcore fans willing to spend more money.

12 hours ago, SorceressKnight said:

This match probably is the exception that proves the rule for it.

There's a number of cases where you have someone who's a great face/heel, but when they turn, they end up being a really bad worker in the other disposition. Through the indy work of the IIconics (where they usually worked face), there was always that question "are they bad, or are they merely playing out of position as heels?"

Considering it was notably one of their better matches and this was the first time they came close to working face in WWE, I think that's a slight enough sample size to say that they merely just might be better faces than heels.

I always thought Billie Kay was an excellent underdog babyface on the indys, though I have enjoyed her heel work when given time but I'm one of the few who have found them extremely entertaining as characters and hilarious on the mic as well.

29 minutes ago, D.Z said:

Shawn vs Undertaker is next right? Not really sure how's that gonna play out in the ring. 

Reportedly it would be DX vs. The Brothers of Destruction in a tag at Crown Jewel, there's been rumors of Shawn/Taker following that or a possible Survivor Series match if Shawn doesn't want to work singles. There's an interview from earlier this year with Shawn where he talks about almost coming out of retirement for another Taker match in 2014 that really intrigued him creatively but ultimately turning it down as well a match with AJ offered last year but at that time he was insistent 'one more match' was not going to happen.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Victator said:

If they kept it to a under ten minute spectacle it could have worked. But most likely Hunter wanted to do an epic. The Rusev and Cena matches showed Taker can at least do squashes. 

The promotion wanted us to think this was an epic rivalry. But nobody thinks of them as rivals, beyond younger fans who came of age during the two Mania matches. But at this point wrestling is mainly hardcore fans willing to spend more money.

I hate WWE's forced epic matches with a passion. Once again, they can't let anything develop organically. We have to be betean over the head with how epic it is, what a moment, and yada, yada, yada.

The real moments out of this show were the receptions the IIconics and Buddy Murphy. I was shocked that neither heeled on the crowd or jobbed, especially the IIconics. HHH must have bound and gagged Vince and threw him in a storage closet somewhere in the bowels of the arena.

On ‎10‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 11:45 PM, RolandTHTG said:

272 posts and the overwhelming majority mention Wreddit. We get it..

Ehhh, there's a long board tradition of one person on the DVDVR board repeatedly trying to discuss something that nobody else on the board is interested in. Sometimes there's something that only two people on the board like, and they'll both mention it multiple times a day. Sometimes one person is obsessed with something nobody else is into, and they actually get other board members into it, for a while. But look how little Scottish talk there is in the Soccer thread now Mag7 is gone.

The Daniel Bryan/Miz finish was so flat. I liked that they went with it, but in a company where flash pins like that are extremely uncommon, and the announcers sell that they aren't even sure what happened, it just goes over like it was almost a mistake. Not the way you wanna do that kind of finish, in my opinion. 

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, AxB said:

Ehhh, there's a long board tradition of one person on the DVDVR board repeatedly trying to discuss something that nobody else on the board is interested in. Sometimes there's something that only two people on the board like, and they'll both mention it multiple times a day. Sometimes one person is obsessed with something nobody else is into, and they actually get other board members into it, for a while. But look how little Scottish talk there is in the Soccer thread now Mag7 is gone.

I wonder what that could be.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, #BlueJustice said:

The Daniel Bryan/Miz finish was so flat. I liked that they went with it, but in a company where flash pins like that are extremely uncommon, and the announcers sell that they aren't even sure what happened, it just goes over like it was almost a mistake. Not the way you wanna do that kind of finish, in my opinion. 

A company that plans in advance would have had Bryan pick up wins with the small package to get over he can beat anybody with it rather than have him continuously look like an idiot against Miz. I'd be perfectly fine with Bryan winning in five minutes if there was a story behind it that Miz can't keep up with Bryan when it comes to pure wrestling. I'm more than happy Bryan won cleanly, but it should have been a convincing win.

• Like 1