DVDVR Message Board

Super Show-Down - 10/6/2018

Web Conn

Main event was incredible. So bad it was captivating. I loved it. I was half asleep for everything else and it was a bunch of stuff. House show comment was spot on. 

Edit: oh man, that hole in Shawn's jeans at the end there following the saddest chokeslam through a table... Perfection! 

I kinda liked the main event, and I'm someone who hated both of their Mania matches. It wasn't technically good, but as a load of old men smoke'n'mirror nonsense, it was fine. Then again, I thought Styles/Joe was a load of plodding nonsense that was only saved by AJ bumping like a boss, so opinions may vary.

The ending at least made a modicum of storytelling sense, in that Taker was ultimately pissed that he wanted to settle the last round of this fight with zero bullshit and HHH took the cheap way out. It just took forever and a day to get there. 

It was fun if you are big fans of all of them, nostalgia purposes, etc. but I have seen Undertaker and Hunter's entire careers pretty much and we've seen them have great matches with each other.   This dragged in spots and just didn't hold my interest.  I don't want to see a tag match between the four either.  

Everyone who says "glorified house show" yeah that's what this was.  Still,  AJ/Joe was good,  Cedric/Murphy was very good and The Shield vs. The Pack was solid.   You don't need to go out of your way to watch the rest. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, FlaeBlazer said:

WTF, I went on Wreddit and the consensus is that main event was pretty good. The word that I keep seeing is “fun”. 

It seemed all the wrestling review sites were in agreement that it was terrible.

Now I'm a little embarrassed I said that here myself. I just felt like it exceeded my extremely low expectations, and was pleasantly surprised I enjoyed it. I think in context it was pretty good for what it was. It's like going to Burger King or something and being really excited they didn't fuck up your order. I never expected a steak house.

• Like 2

AJ/Joe was solid though I'm not sure what they do with either guy (especially Joe) from here.

I dug the Shield/Pack match, but the teasing a Shield split up or a double turn is really stupid and because this is WWE they'll probably make it happen. Drew is still my pick for next guy to hold the Universal title.

Main event was basically what you'd get if say, Jerry Lawler and Bill Dundee wrestling eachother at a flea market somewhere in Tennessee had big production values. Taker is one of my favorite wrestlers of all time but he's been so slow and plodding in his last few outings it's hard to watch.

Speaking of people past their sell by date, Cena needs to hang it up. Part of that is me having absolutely no interest in him (I've never been a big fan, but he had a run of very good matches in the past few years) but he doesn't seem to want to be there at all and ever since Survivor Series last year he's been mailing it in big time.

38 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Now I'm a little embarrassed I said that here myself. I just felt like it exceeded my extremely low expectations, and was pleasantly surprised I enjoyed it. I think in context it was pretty good for what it was. It's like going to Burger King or something and being really excited they didn't fuck up your order. I never expected a steak house.

It thought it was gonna be better than it actually was lol. I thought they were gonna have enough smoke and mirrors to hide that Undertaker can’t go anymore but they didn’t even try to hide it. They had this guy dominate a 30 minute match and it was embarrassing. This was worse than his performance in the Reigns match because at least then it was a huge part of the story of the match and it was supposed to be his “retirement”. That match was supposed to be sad, this was supposed to be “epic”. Here he was terrible and there is no end in sight. And Shawn Michaels is gonna come back and tarnish his legacy for this shitshow of a program.

I’m assuming all that huge space on the floor was from unsold seats?

How well did this show actually draw? WWE claimed 70,000 which means that it was legit probably 60,000 which definitely isn’t close to a sellout in a building this humongous. It looked great on TV and I didn’t really see any empty seats from the TV broadcast. WWE claimed it was a capacity crowd which is obviously bullshit. 

About how much of the building was actually full?

I love the Riott Squad (I'm the other Liv Morgan fan here) but I can't be bothered with Rousey or the Bellas so I skipped that match and the slower parts of the main event (most of it), but the rest of this show was pretty good. I felt like something was off in AJ/Joe that kept it from getting next level, the finish of Becky/Charlotte was lame, and Bryan/Miz going 5 minutes was a little disappointing, but overall solid action throughout.

Really nice moment for Buddy Murphy and a great way for WWE to reward a guy who really stepped it up when he could've easily gone by the wayside. Cool win for the IIconics too.

Cena literally only doing the Five six moves of doom and getting the win was perfect.

Murphy and Alexander got to go all out on a ppv, so that was cool.

Shield/BraunZigDrew was chaotic and all over the place awesome. The timing on the barricade spear was incredible.

I gave up at 8 am though. So I have seen the last two matches.

35 minutes ago, FlaeBlazer said:

It was pretty good but had a bad finish. So, typical WWE PPV fare.

Huh? The finish made perfect sense... Becky gets caught in the Figure 8, can't make it to the ropes, yet she has the belt in reach so might as well use it and get the DQ'd and lose the match, but retain the title.

Makes perfect sense and allows them to continue building the feud.

Just finished the show. Watched everythign but Taker/HHH since I never had interest in it in the first place.

New Day vs. the Bar was good while it lasted which is expected of them.

The women's tag matches were both fun. I'm actually digging Asuka and Naomi as a team and hope they bring up a women's tag titles so they can get a chance to do more with them. This was probably Brie's best match since returning. She was never in too the ring too long and managed to not really fuck anything up. Meanwhile Nikki seems to look better each match. Ronda's hot tag at the end was great along with the finish. That said, it is sad to see Riott Squad killed dead though not surprising after they wasted Ruby/Ronda on Monday. Actually though Riott Squad looked a little weaker here than normal, particularly Logan.

Charlotte/Becky was fairly good. Still, I thought it was a little short considering the build though I suppose it makes sense with the finish.

Cedric/Buddy was good and easily the most over a cruiserweight match has been probably in a year. I like that WWE didn't even try to force Buddy and IIconics to be heels in their matches. It just wouldn't have worked with this crowd.

AJ/Joe was good, but definitely missing something to put it on the next level.

Not sure why Miz/Bryan was so short. Feels like they should have played that one differently with that short a time. It just left the crowd and me confused.

Shield vs. Braun/Drew/Dolph was great and easily MOTN.

Not a bad show at all in all.

4 hours ago, FlaeBlazer said:

WTF, I went on Wreddit and the consensus is that main event was pretty good. The word that I keep seeing is “fun”. 

It seemed all the wrestling review sites were in agreement that it was terrible.

272 posts and the overwhelming majority mention Wreddit. We get it..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4

the IIconics rule. Cena actually winning with the moves of doom without being reversed was great. Thought Styles/Joe was pretty good and a definitive ending to their rivalry. Rousey looked badass and on point here with all her throws and moves looking killer, then the finish was awesome. Figured Bryan had to get a win here and they'd set up a Bryan/AJ 'dream match' scenario for Crown Jewel, didn't think it would be in 2 mins. Thought the main event was fun and about what would be expected from those guys at this stage. The Australian Curtain Call was amusing and didn't expect what almost felt like a double turn afterwards but I guess that sets up the potential Crown Jewel main event. First half felt very house show, second half took it up a notch.

2 hours ago, FlaeBlazer said:

I’m assuming all that huge space on the floor was from unsold seats?

How well did this show actually draw? WWE claimed 70,000 which means that it was legit probably 60,000 which definitely isn’t close to a sellout in a building this humongous. It looked great on TV and I didn’t really see any empty seats from the TV broadcast. WWE claimed it was a capacity crowd which is obviously bullshit. 

About how much of the building was actually full?

It would’ve drawn  over a legit 50k easy. About a 6th of the seating capacity was tarped off (so from maybe 100k down to around 60-70k in the grandstands), yet the only patchy spots in any of the grandstands where from the middle/back of the top deck and the last 5-10 rows of the bottom grandstand level. 

LWPs Super Show-Down Super Recap - 

4:50pm - We arrive and make the climb to find our seats. I'm with my wife; a casual watcher who prefers Divas/Bellas, my mum; Attitude era fan who watched every week until about 2005. Eddie's death then the Beniot incident just about ended her love of this. Also my uncle; an 80's fan & Undertaker mark who stopped watching around the time of 'The American Badass' and just followed Taker's Mania streak once the Deadman returned.

We are sitting in the top tier, about a 3rd of the way back just right of the hard camera. Perfect view. The ring is surprisingly big, even from this distance. 'Woo' chants echo around like monkeys in the jungle...

5pm - A 1 hour coundown clock appears on the screens around the arena. The few people already in their seats cheer.

5:02pm - The kids in the arena come up with a fun game. Every time the countown clock gets to the last 10 seconds they do a countdown and let out a huge 'Woooo'.

5:08pm - I fucking hate this game...

5:30pm - The clock is gone & some hype videos play. They run a promotion for a fan to get upgraded to front row seats & the crowd pretty quickly locks in on a guy with a foam finger in his mouth. The production people get a boo/yeah chant going as they show finger guy (yay) then someone else (boo). The crowd boo 2 kids trying to get the upgrade. Finger guy wins.

6pm - Showtime!

The Bar v The New Day - As a punk rock guy from the 80's my uncle loves Sheamus' mohawk and is instantly cheering for them. The crowd goes wild for the New Day intro and stay pretty hot right through. A solid opener but nailed it big time on that finish which looked awesome.

Becky v Charlotte - Yeah, no way they can save Charlotte as a face here. She is well and truly turning into the lady Roman. Pretty good match but the finish had the crowd booing for all the wrong reasons. The 'hits' with the title looked weak as anything and several people around us complained that the ref shouldn't be DQ'ing someone for that. Not sure what the post match beatdown was meant to achieve as Charlotte started it then get suplexed on the floor...

Elias/KO v Lashley/Cena - House show match but the crowd didnt care. Elias was perfect before the match dropping a reference to last weeks Grand Final finish, which most of the crowd cheered. Hot tag to Cena who hit the "Five... er Six Moves of Doom". His post match speech felt very much like it was the last time we would see him in Australia. I was waiting for Lashley to spear him but no such luck.

Asuka/Naomi v IIconics - We love Peyton and Billy for being Aussie but holy shit the twang they put on their accents is horrific. Wife loved the Glow entrance and mum even got into it by the time they hit the ring. Not much of a match but crowd popped for the Aussie girls. Feel bad for Murphy. Surely they wont have the Aussies sweep.

AJ Styles v Samoa Joe - Comment from my uncle: "For a No DQ match it's a bit of a snooze." Crowd took a while to get into it. This was a really good technical match with some insane bumps by AJ but there was no reason to make this No DQ/Must be a winner etc. Why not make it a submission only match with Joe claiming that AJ tapped before so he will tap again? Finish looked a little botched too as AJ took a while to lock in the Calf Crusher. I expected better.

6 woman tag - It was all about Ronda & why not? She is insanely over. Probably the most over non Aussie on the card not named Undertaker. Some tension with Nikki and Ronda to start but nothing more (planting the seeds?) but the finish was great and everyone perked right back up.

Alexander v Murphy - This match. Oh man this match. It was fast, hard hitting, high flying and holy fucking shitballs they made the right call on the result. Blew away all 4 of us with the pace they went with. Having not seen either guy before my mum & uncle wanted to know why more guys werent doing that kind of stuff. Place exploded when Buddy kicked out of the Lumbar Check and then again when he won.

For me, the rest of the night no longer mattered.

Im the same age as Buddy Murphy. We grew up in the same area, started our training at the same wrestling company (PCW in south east Melbourne) & I have basically lived through this guy since his debut. I dont regret the path I took. I have a gorgeous wife, 4 great kids & a job I love. But when that 3 count fell I admit to tearing up. I was so jealous/proud/happy... everything!!!

If you had told me 15 years ago that an Australian wrestler would win a WWE championship, in front of 70,000 people at the MCG I would have laughed at you. If you had of told me again 5 years ago that wrestler would be Buddy Murphy I still would have laughed.

Buddy Murphy made history last night. It might not mean a heap in the grand scheme of things but for this night and in this moment it's the best I've ever felt watching a WWE show.

6 Man Tag - Ok we need a breather. Braun is massive but Drew is right there with him. How long until we get Drew vs Roman for the title? Otherwise can we get Drew over to SDL in the post Mania shakeup to fight AJ, Joe, Almas, Bryan etc?

Shield entrance was great. The face masks looked really cool. You can see why these guys have the company built around them because the whole match was laid out really well and made everyone look great. A few fans are taking the bait Dean turning tonight. The barricade spear had everyone going nuts and the timing was just perfect.

Biggest takeaway from this match was how over Ambrose is. This might be another failed heel turn ala Becky if they try to have him go against Reigns.

Bryan v Miz - The match my wife was looking forward to the most & I swear she has a psychic connection with Miz at times. After the first sequence & pinfall she started on a rant about how useless the early pins in a match are, we know they have to it their finishers a couple of times, how nobody believes the match is going to end on a random cover or roll up...

Then that small package happened.

I really don't know what to make of it. I assume the show was running long and so these guys had their time cut but I could also see it being a massive botch with Miz not hearing the count to kick out? Not sure. Was a little deflating but the Main Event was coming up.

Triple H v The Undertaker - We knew it would be slow. We knew it wasnt going to be pretty but for the most part we didnt care. There were enough smoke and mirrors here to distract from how bad Taker is looking these days. HBK on the outside was pretty funny stooging for Kane as he walked around the ring.

There was a scary moment when they went into the crowd. Once they got a few rows deep everyone ringside was up out of their chairs and just swarming on them. I'm pretty sure security told them to head back to the ring because there was a stretch with the two of them just holding each other and making a bee line for the time keepers area. Was crazy seeing how fast a couple thousand people moved to try and touch them or get a picture.

The finish was the right one but a few people around me were pissed. I was stunned at the number of people who made a break for the aisles as soon as the 3 count happened. Why not take some time to appreciate that we will probably never see these guys again?

I was waiting for the Taker retaliation but when they set off all the pyro and did the curtain call I assumed that it was done. Then the Tombstone landed, big pops as the Brothers made their way backstage and we locked in the tag match for Crown Jewel I guess.

??? - I have no idea what time it is but I'm in the bathroom taking a leak next to a guy dressed like Randy Savage.

12:20am - Dropped off my mum & uncle. Wife can drive the rest of this trip. I'm stuffed.

Nothing was actively bad. The WWE title match was a bit meh given the stip and I thought the Cena tag could easily have been replaced with something involving the US title or Finn Balor (no preshow match?), but regardless of what else happened on this show Buddy Murphy won the Cruiserweight title in his home city so that instantly makes this an A+ in my book.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2