DVDVR Message Board

Super Show-Down - 10/6/2018

Web Conn

Every week, 205 Live starts out and mostly plays through to the end to a dead crowd. When Buddy Murphy is in the main event, his matches have gotten the crowds to light up and generate chants and really get in to the matches. That can't have gone unnoticed in the back. Cedric is not generating this same interest with the crowd. I can totally see them putting the title on Buddy Murphy in his backyard for his hard work over the last several months.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dewar said:

I think Murphy is going to win, and the Iconics heeling on the MCG will be outstanding.

I enjoyed the then-Iconic Duo's heeling at the 2016 Sydney NXT show. In their hometown, they turned the audience against them by disowning Sydney in favour of Orlando. ?

1 hour ago, RIShane said:

I enjoyed the then-Iconic Duo's heeling at the 2016 Sydney NXT show. In their hometown, they turned the audience against them by disowning Sydney in favour of Orlando. ?

And now they can tell everyone in Melbourne how great the Sydney Swans are. I like it!

8 hours ago, Dewar said:

I think Murphy is going to win, and the Iconics heeling on the MCG will be outstanding.

I dont think it will.

They tried to heel up on the Melbourne NXT show back in 2016 by talking about how great it was to be from Sydney rather than Melbourne & that both cities sucked compared to living in Orlando.

We still (mostly) cheered them because they are 'ours'.

Honestly, the big thing that puts people off is how high they ramp up that Aussie 'twang' in their voices. Very few people actually speak with that thick an accent.

Thinking about it; I expect this crowd to be way less smarky than the NXT show so it'll probably get a decent mixed reaction.

4 hours ago, muhammedboehm said:

Or its going to be Charlotte/Sasha 2.0. Charlotte wins on the ppvs but loses on Raw/SD

I actually don't think its going to play out that way. While there's a strong chance that Charlotte retains at HIAC, I suspect when Charlotte loses the title, Becky will successfully retain and Charlotte won't win a title again until at least Mania. They presumably set up her equaling Trish so it creates higher stakes for her Mania match, most likely with Ronda.  The question for me is whether Becky wins the title in Melbourne or at Evolution--I'm just happy they're getting a strong singles match in Melbourne. The other women's matches announced so far have just been tags--interestingly nothing has been announced for Alexa/Sasha/Bayley.

2 hours ago, RIShane said:

I actually don't think its going to play out that way. While there's a strong chance that Charlotte retains at HIAC, I suspect when Charlotte loses the title, Becky will successfully retain and Charlotte won't win a title again until at least Mania. They presumably set up her equaling Trish so it creates higher stakes for her Mania match, most likely with Ronda.  The question for me is whether Becky wins the title in Melbourne or at Evolution--I'm just happy they're getting a strong singles match in Melbourne. The other women's matches announced so far have just been tags--interestingly nothing has been announced for Alexa/Sasha/Bayley.

My point is if Charlotte retains at HIAC but drops the title in Melbourne then Becky is Sasha 2.0 because she cant beat Charlotte on the big stage. And it is also the problem with having these shows so close together and lots of rematches. Who ever wins at HIAC is just as likely to lose in Melbourne, or it gives the writers the out for not changing the title till Melbourne.

20 hours ago, MonteCarl said:

Every week, 205 Live starts out and mostly plays through to the end to a dead crowd. When Buddy Murphy is in the main event, his matches have gotten the crowds to light up and generate chants and really get in to the matches. That can't have gone unnoticed in the back. Cedric is not generating this same interest with the crowd. I can totally see them putting the title on Buddy Murphy in his backyard for his hard work over the last several months.

It depends on the opponent with Cedric. Cedric is not delivering bad matches and he is obviously trying. The past few times it was Cedric that pops the crowd for one instant and then whoever is his opponent(Hideo, TJP, Gallagher, Kendrick Gulak) immediately puts on restholds and takes the crowd right out. With Buddy who plays heel, but isn't a technical heel nor is he a meticulous heel, Murphy just turns it up and goes move for move against a Face who does the same. He does not slow the match down at all and only seems to up the intensity which makes his matches more crowd engaging. Almost every Buddy Murphy match, he has involved the announcer table or got innovative with the ringside. The top three guys on 205 are Cedric, Mustafa, and Murphy. Those guys generate pops with the Lucha House Party being used for spectacle. Those technical guys sans Gulak need to do something different because that shit kills crowds that are already too tired after a high-octane Smackdown. No one wants to follow AJ Styles and Samoa Joe or Daniel Bryan and Almas, but it hard enough to as it is with a babyface like Cedric who has the moveset and ability of an aggressive heel.

Not entirely absolving Cedric because he needs to change his demeanor as a squeaky clean babyface when his finisher is hoisting guys way above his head and crashing them five and a half feet on their backs. Cedric dropped a nasty sheer drop brainbuster on TJP the other night and he is supposed to be playing underdog babyface? He needs to be more like Buddy and less like Gargano. He needs to be more like Neville after joining 205 Live and less like NXT Adrian Neville. He is the most physically imposing athlete on 205 Live and one of the most gifted wrestlers in the entire WWE roster. He needs to act like it. And I think that is the story of Cedric's entire wrestling career. 

23 hours ago, muhammedboehm said:

My point is if Charlotte retains at HIAC but drops the title in Melbourne then Becky is Sasha 2.0 because she cant beat Charlotte on the big stage. And it is also the problem with having these shows so close together and lots of rematches. Who ever wins at HIAC is just as likely to lose in Melbourne, or it gives the writers the out for not changing the title till Melbourne.

Becky would only be Sasha 2.0 if they started trading the title back and forth, and that seems very unlikely to me. HIAC is going to be interesting because there's obviously a lot of fan demand for Becky to win the title right away, but I love this character dynamic they have going on with Becky being utterly obsessed with destroying Charlotte while Charlotte is determined to win but clearly still misses their friendship (note her still calling Becky by her 'Bex' nickname even during their promo on SDL), and would be happy to see it go on for longer before Becky gets her moment.

• 2 weeks later...

So the Miz vs Daniel Bryan is now a winner gets a world title shot at I guess TLC but maybe the Rumble.    

Oh man can you imagine this scenario.  Miz beats Bryan again (seems really likely).  Miz actually beats AJ Styles for the title.   Daniel Bryan wins the Royal Rumble and faces the Miz for the world title at Wrestlemania  OR Daniel Bryan puts his career on the line and faces the Miz for the world title at Wrestlemania

The scenario seems too obvious for it to happen but imagine the reaction if the person that breaks Styles 300 - 400 some day streak is the Miz.   And it was all built around Daniel Bryan winning the title back at Wrestlemania.   Talk about awesome 

Now watch none of this happens 

• Like 2

On 8/30/2018 at 12:10 PM, Dolfan in NYC said:

Okay, re-opening because matches are being announced and they actually appear to be building.  The Card so far:

NO DQ, NO COUNT-OUT MATCH FOR THE WWE CHAMPIONSHIP, THERE MUST BE A WINNER - AJ Styles (c) vs. Samoa Joe

FOR THE SMACKDOWN WOMEN'S CHAMPIONSHIP - Becky Lynch (c) vs. Charlotte Flair 

FOR THE WWE CRUISERWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP - Cedric Alexander (c) vs. Buddy Murphy

FOR THE SMACKDOWN TAG-TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP - The New Day (c) vs. The Bar

"LAST TIME EVER" (lol) - The Undertaker vs. HHH

FOR THE #1 CONTENDER SPOT FOR THE WWE CHAMPIONSHIP - The Miz vs. Daniel Bryan

"HOW LONG WILL IT TAKE NIKKI TO TURN" SIX PERSON TAG TEAM MATCH - Ronda Rousey/The Bellas vs. The Riott Squad

The Shield (Rollins/Ambrose/Reigns) vs. The Pack (Strowman/Ziggler/McIntyre)

Kevin Owens & Elias vs. John Cena & Boring Lashley

The Iiconics vs. Asuka/Naomi

Card updated. 

14 hours ago, hammerva said:

So the Miz vs Daniel Bryan is now a winner gets a world title shot at I guess TLC but maybe the Rumble.    

Oh man can you imagine this scenario.  Miz beats Bryan again (seems really likely).  Miz actually beats AJ Styles for the title.   Daniel Bryan wins the Royal Rumble and faces the Miz for the world title at Wrestlemania  OR Daniel Bryan puts his career on the line and faces the Miz for the world title at Wrestlemania

The scenario seems too obvious for it to happen but imagine the reaction if the person that breaks Styles 300 - 400 some day streak is the Miz.   And it was all built around Daniel Bryan winning the title back at Wrestlemania.   Talk about awesome 

And AJ can take a small break from the title scene and be in the MMC final at TLC.

On 9/19/2018 at 11:58 AM, hammerva said:

Would be fairly consistent for AJ to turn heel after Mania and be Bryan's first challenger too.

On 9/18/2018 at 7:58 PM, hammerva said:

Even with Survivor Series being brand vs brand, I doubt they're holding off Bryan or Miz's title match till mid-December. I'd be stunned.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Even with Survivor Series being brand vs brand, I doubt they're holding off Bryan or Miz's title match till mid-December. I'd be stunned.

Agreed, guessing it's gonna be at Crown Jewel, and I kinda feel like Bryan/Styles is a match they'd throw on there. With Miz up 2 already in this feud, I'm thinking Bryan wins here to set that up, then everything else goes as fantasy booked with Miz being the one to end AJ's reign a little later on.

From saturdays 4FW Online daily update

Super Show-Down will then air live on Saturday morning, and the Network schedule lists it as starting at 5 a.m. Eastern time and running until 10 a.m. Eastern. A pre-show for the event isn't included on the schedule.

There have been 10 matches announced for Super Show-Down, which is being held at the Melbourne Cricket Ground in Melbourne Australia. The card is listed below:

The Undertaker (w/ Kane) vs. Triple H (w/ Shawn Michaels)

Roman Reigns, Seth Rollins & Dean Ambrose vs. Braun Strowman, Dolph Ziggler & Drew McIntyre

WWE Champion AJ Styles defending against Samoa Joe in a no DQ, no countout match

Ronda Rousey & The Bellas vs. Ruby Riott, Liv Morgan (if she's able to wrestle) & Sarah Logan

SmackDown Women's Champion Becky Lynch defending against Charlotte Flair

John Cena & Bobby Lashley vs. Kevin Owens & Elias

Daniel Bryan vs. The Miz (winner gets a future shot at the WWE Championship)

SmackDown Tag Team Champions The New Day defending against Cesaro & Sheamus

Asuka & Naomi vs. Peyton Royce & Billie Kay

WWE Cruiserweight Champion Cedric Alexander defending against Buddy Murphy