DVDVR Message Board

CEO card Daytona Beach 6/29

Jenalysis

I'm as far as a wrestling insider as one can get, and I've heard about Rance several times over the years. Running a criminal background on everyone involved with a show on this level should have been a given.

Omega may not have known or forgotten over time or trusted someone else to make sure the school helping them set up was clean. In any case, it shows how careful anyone with this kind of money and publicity on the line needs to be. I don't think Omega should be cast into a lake of fire, but it's a bad look compounded by how he handled the situation at first. Our tolerance for sex offenders should be low as possible, but that's another topic for another time.

On a side note, my friend used to work for Rance's cousin and family. To say they were shifty and crooked would be a minor understatement. Also, no matter what someone does in wrestling, they will find someone to book them if that person thinks they can make money off of them. It's the nature of the sleazy business that this is.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JohnnyJ said:

The answer is yes. However, I would be interested in a thread on what does/does not get you blackballed in today's wrestling environment. Some of people's reactions to Austin having the gall to put Enzo on his show bothered me.

Well SCSA isn't an angel himself.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

That's the thing that bothers me. If you want to have purity in pro-wrestling, fine. But don't pick and choose who you wish would be excommunicated. 

I believe in redemption for most everything, but this is a tough one.

• Like 2

Was there any reaction to Rance on the night or is this a case of people overcompensating after learning about something in hindsight? Obviously he shouldn't be in the business but it reeks of sanctimony to me. Wrestling is full of ne'er do wells from Vince downwards. 

47 minutes ago, sevendaughters said:

Was there any reaction to Rance on the night or is this a case of people overcompensating after learning about something in hindsight? Obviously he shouldn't be in the business but it reeks of sanctimony to me. Wrestling is full of ne'er do wells from Vince downwards. 

From what I saw on the Twitch feed, a ton of commenters knew about it and were laying into him while their match was going on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sevendaughters said:

I thought he was a rather generic douchebag opening match heel.   The 1st dark match was pretty dreadful to me, way below the standards of what I'd see from a NC indy. 

There is some sanctimony going on, my politics are to the left of ZSJ and I think some of what is going on is too much.  Kenny and Jebailey deserve some criticism for lack of diligence (Even if it's understandable) but some folks are going way too far, and in a sense, are the equivalent of the douchebag fans who try to get themselves over.

• Like 1

I have no idea who Rance is. I may have seen the name pop up once or twice, but I couldn't tell you any more about the guy. The stuff that popped up over the weekend was the first I saw.

I'll also add that I think Bix is the most annoying and insufferable person who writes about wrestling now. He basically outlined everything Kenny should do to make good, Kenny does those things and more, and Bix is immediately like, "nah, not good enough." So, what then, you can't move on because not having the axe to grind means you have nothing to write about? Maybe this is a misread, I don't know, but that's how Bix came across to me.

• Like 2

As much of annoying pitbull Bix can be on a topic I would rather have him pushing the "Omega should have done everything possible to prevent associating with registered sex offender" line instead Meltzer who basically passed it off as wrestling being full of scumbags so it is no big deal.   Although given who was responsible for the show his opinion on this is completely not surprising. 

Short of gymnastics, is there any activity that under age kids frequent that is more "Oh well" in using people with horrible histories toward underage children than wrestling

• Like 1

I wonder if Kenny is going to catch some blowback from the New Japan office for this.  Whether he knew or not, I can't imagine they'd be thrilled to have their honor so publicly besmirched in America at a crucial time for them.  That said, it's tough to gauge how far this story is resonating outside of the wrestling sleaze bubble.  The Elgin stuff obviously didn't, but this is different because it involves the company name directly.

This is tangential, but I was reminded of the fact that Bix and Omega had a twitter argument once before, back when EVIL was concussed--or not--in the G1. Bix was probably the most vocal in reporting that he was, based on a backstage source; Kenny @'d him, said he wasn't, suggested that only a very small handful of people would know for sure, and none of them were sources, so who did he talk to? Bix kinda walked it back, saying his source didn't know--not a doctor, not office, etc.--but saw the match, was backstage, and c'mon. Whether Bix planned one or not, there never was an article about it, and he actually apologized to Kenny for getting ahead of himself and reporting one opinion as fact.

Not to say Bix has an axe to grind--I actually think his kinda pedantic muckraking is a valuable service for wrestling, when so many would-be reporters would rather be insiders and friends--but it'll be interesting to see what does come of this. Probably a Deadspin article, for what that's worth. SI and various other mainstream publications have already done their relatively fawning write-ups, and made no mention of the controversy; so I'd be pretty shocked if this becomes a real "thing" that damages Kenny. But, if he wants to be a mainstream star in a mainstream promotion, he's gotta stop getting Mad Online so damn easy. He's almost universally adored within his field, and still manages a hater complex that would put most teenagers to shame.

• Like 1

Unfortunately for Bix, in his craven desperation to usurp DAVE on Daddy's death, he is such a miserable missing-forest-for-trees type that he doesn't get that he needs to let certain things slide to break bigger stories and have the ears of people inside the curtain down the line. DUD.

Saw the show. One for neck-haters.

• Like 1

Agreed. Bix comes off as the pettiest of people who will absolutely pick and choose on whom to grind his axes depending on several factors, first being have they been mean to him at any point in his life. Some (most?) of the posters at the Observer forum make the ECW mutants come off as enlightened souls but they're mostly spot on about Bix. 

• Like 2

I know EVA pointed out how the Elgin stuff didn't involve NJPW's name directly, but NJPW was and is the promotion that Elgin most prominently wrestled for. There was still a major scandal attached to Elgin, people in the back apparently didn't like Elgin, and yet, Elgin was and is getting pushed by NJPW. I just don't think NJPW gives a shit and it would take a lot for them to care.

One last thing about Bix, someone on Reddit posted the audio with Bix grilling Bischoff with the dumbest questions about an angle running in WCW. I think it had to do with someone getting arrested and Bix asking why wouldn't Bischoff get arrested for doing something worse. Bix just wouldn't let it go. He must have asked 3 or 4 questions and took up so much time harping on this one thing. Bix was a teenager at the time (and part of me wonders if he posted about the experience back on the OLD board), but I listened to that and thought, yep, he hasn't really changed much. Not to put words in his mouth, but Bix just comes across as the type where he will push an agenda until someone fully admits guilt and wrongdoing before firing themselves off into the sun.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, hammerva said:

As much of annoying pitbull Bix can be on a topic I would rather have him pushing the "Omega should have done everything possible to prevent associating with registered sex offender" line instead Meltzer who basically passed it off as wrestling being full of scumbags so it is no big deal.   

Ethics have never been Dave's strong suit.

In the past journalists would sit on facts until they lined everything up and then report a story. Today everything happens in real time. So a story breaks and facts can continue to trickle out for some time. In a story such as this where interest is not particularly high by day 4 you're just coming off as an ass even if you're still doing good investigative work.

On 7/2/2018 at 10:57 AM, EVA said:

I wonder if Kenny is going to catch some blowback from the New Japan office for this.  Whether he knew or not, I can't imagine they'd be thrilled to have their honor so publicly besmirched in America at a crucial time for them.  That said, it's tough to gauge how far this story is resonating outside of the wrestling sleaze bubble.  The Elgin stuff obviously didn't, but this is different because it involves the company name directly.

The fans seem to have accepted Kenny's explanation for the most part.   I don't think this will be anything more than a minor scandal, Kenny's previous good reputation is helping him out here.