DVDVR Message Board

CEO card Daytona Beach 6/29

Jenalysis

Taichi won’t just enter the G1, he’ll win, after every main eventer drops due to injury. Minoru and Okada going for 30 in a monsoon, now Kota and Naito killing themselves to get the show over at the last. And I mean... it seemed like it worked? It did on me, at least. The downside of a house show card, though, was that it really had to.

(I’m assuming that was brilliant selling by Naito, and that he isn’t paralyzed.)

Just got back myself.

Yeah the smarky crowd sucked (FGC part of it was fine, it was the other wrestling fans who were bad).   Didn't mind the stalling, Chase Owens is a great , great house show wrestler and it showed.

The main event was insane, and everyone was massively over in the main, and Liger was over as well.

Hopefully I'm up in time to get mauled in Tekken tomorrow.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, alstein said:

Just got back myself.

Yeah the smarky crowd sucked (FGC part of it was fine, it was the other wrestling fans who were bad).   Didn't mind the stalling, Chase Owens is a great , great house show wrestler and it showed.

The main event was insane, and everyone was massively over in the main, and Liger was over as well.

Hopefully I'm up in time to get mauled in Tekken tomorrow.

Nice, glad you enjoyed it. The main event was great, Ibushi looked like he kind of messed up on the sunset bomb, that was ugly. 

Guest Edwin

Alright, just got back home... 

Firstly, the venue staff -- what a fiasco. They didn't even have ticket scanners and just let anyone in who would show them a ticket. Also, given the amount of seats and fans, anyone could sit anywhere. The event was scheduled to start at 8:30 PM EST and it started at 9:05 PM.

The dark matches sucked. I like Nakazawa's Nuru Nuru gimmick as I think it can be entertaining. His promo was one of the highlights of the show. Him saying Japanese wrestlers are better than American wrestlers got a pop because y'know, these are super hardcore loyal kewl Nu Nippon fans who's opinion is anything Japan > anything American.

Liger vs. Romero was OK and one of the reasons I went -- the novelty of watching Liger live. Liger was way over.

Tonga & Loa vs. Robinson & Finlay was pretty bad. Neither side does anything for me and I find Robinson particularly awful. Tonga and Loa were over, however. There was this creepy male fan who spent the entire match screaming at Tonga to throw him his tank top... Yikes...

Cobb vs. Owens was a tad better than the previous two matches, but again, nothing special or memorable. I'm a big Cobb fan, but I've enjoyed his matches I've seen of his in MLW more than this one. The same fan asking Tonga for his tank top endlessly kept on ragging on Owens and he even mocked his physique even though the fan himself y'know wasn't really a body builder...

Lee & Taguchi vs. Sho & Yoh was not good, but Lee busted a crazy huracanrana over the top rope. Taguchi was over too.

Omega & Ibushi vs. Naito & Takahashi this wasn't particularly a great match, but it was easily MOTN. Some gross bumps by Ibushi and Naito in the finishing run. Both teams were really over with the fans.

I thought this was a really underwhelming show and not worth the 1:30 drive and not worth the $150+ I spent on 2 tickets for my wife and me.

Also, not trying to be THAT guy, but just some general thoughts -- if you attend an event, please have some common courtesy. Don't try and make the show about you and don't scream if you're talking to the person beside you as no one really needs to hear or care about your personal conversation. Cheer and chant all you want, but don't make the show about you because it's not about you and there's a very high chance that the majority of your banter isn't funny. I don't follow current New Japan product and I find their fanbase to be super annoying. Just the thought of the All In show being flooded with these types of fans turns me away from it.

A lot of fighting gamers, especially older ones in that crowd as well.  Liger was over because of his WCW tours and because he's Liger.

FGC crowd also loves more comedic guys- so Taguchi was going to be over.  Taichi was the most popular wrestler in the Fire Pro exhibit in the booth.  (Not sure if that means anything, but I saw more Taichi used than Omega or Naito)

Sho and Yoh weren't over with the crowd at all.

and yes, those fans were annoying, and I'm pretty sure the guy doing this was there just for the show tonight and not the event in general.  I am worried about Ibushi being sore after last night- I got the impression in the main that everyone in the ring was a bit jacked up by the crowd treating them like All Japan Women.   Ibushi was over, and the other three were as over as Hogan in Hulkamania over with that crowd.   I've never seen people that over personally- they could have gone 60, did a 70s style match and the fans would have loved every minute.

They really need to bring Taichi and Yano next time they do one of these shows.

• Like 3

Ibushi also messed up his connection flight, ended up in Washington DC; so Kenny joked(?) that he had to go get him, and no one got to sleep until like 5am. (Hence the quip, post show, that he hates flying, I think.)

So everyone—and Ibushi most of all—probably had that weird stoked/exhausted cocktail going on, and the crowd’s adulation might’ve more easily pushed them. 

9 hours ago, Edwin said:

Also, not trying to be THAT guy, but just some general thoughts -- if you attend an event, please have some common courtesy. Don't try and make the show about you and don't scream if you're talking to the person beside you as no one really needs to hear or care about your personal conversation. Cheer and chant all you want, but don't make the show about you because it's not about you and there's a very high chance that the majority of your banter isn't funny. I don't follow current New Japan product and I find their fanbase to be super annoying. Just the thought of the All In show being flooded with these types of fans turns me away from it.

All of this.  Basically every crowd nowadays.  I don't care about the obnoxious chant you thought of specifically to get yourself over.  I don't care that you need to let everyone else know you know someone's prior gimmick name.  I don't care about your conversation on what happened on Being The Elite this week.

I don't know if things have really gotten worse or I'm just getting older and have less tolerance, but it really feels like the IWC has spilled over and crowds nowadays are just another forum for people to hold court (with a captive audience) on the same shit they'd be spouting on reddit and twitter, as if it's a sideshow unto itself during the actual show you paid money for.

Knock it off, and also get off my lawn.

• Like 2

Regarding the dark match participants, Kenny’s tweeted a pretty long (and frankly, too defensive for his own good) explanation, the gist of which is that he didn’t so much as google who was gonna be in that match, much less book it, and so he’s “gutted”, and will... not be that hands off again, I guess. 

Weird time for Kenny, finally wins the big one and immediately stuff about racism and sex offenders starts.

But I'm unsure about whole situation to be honest. Should registered sex offenders be black listed from wrestling? I understand black listing them from work around children, but wrestling? Because if they are black listed from wrestling then I honestly don't see much reason why they couldn't also get black listed from working at McDonalds either.

Basically where I'm going is... what should be done with registered sex offenders? Should they be jailed for life? Because it looks like nobody really wants them around. And yeah, probably not appropriate topic for this thread.

How many people even knew about Rance being a sex offender before Bix tweeted it out?  I don't feel like this was common knowledge, and it's not like Kenny was ever a regular on the Florida/southern Indy scene to really know much about who Rance was to begin with, so I don't see how it's reasonable to be too hard on him for this.  It's just something that slipped through the cracks.  Not like there are  criminal background checks for Indy shows.

32 minutes ago, Archibald said:

Because if they are black listed from wrestling then I honestly don't see much reason why they couldn't also get black listed from working at McDonalds either.

McDonald's company policy (as of 2006) is that they will not hire sex offenders.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, EVA said:

How many people even knew about Rance being a sex offender before Bix tweeted it out?  I don't feel like this was common knowledge, and it's not like Kenny was ever a regular on the Florida/southern Indy scene to really know much about who Rance was to begin with, so I don't see how it's reasonable to be too hard on him for this.  It's just something that slipped through the cracks.  Not like there are  criminal background checks for Indy shows.

It's common knowledge online, and I would assume even more so among people actually in wrestling. Kenny might not, but aside from the Japanese guys I would say everybody else backstage would know.

Yeah, I mean, I guess everything's relative, but I would qualify this as fairly esoteric knowledge.  I doubt there are many people wasting valuable memory space on the criminal history of D-list Florida indy dudes.

He's a lot more than D-list Florida indy dude. He is/was Santana Garrett's boyfriend (aka the reason she is never getting signed), runs one of the best known wrestling schools there and has at various times had people like Scott Hall and Larry Zbysko living at his house. Like it or not he is one of the best known guys there to anyone who has even the slightest "inside" knowledge.

Guest Edwin

I live in Florida, near Orlando, attend numerous events (mostly MLW shows and NXT every so often) and I don't even know who Chasyn Rance is.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

After playing fire pro with Ibushi, Kenny put together a non-threaded statement:

Short version: Didn’t know; should have; anyone who felt badly in person can get a refund; he’s sorry; will do better in the future.

• Like 1

I know about him, but I have a good memory. I don't blame Omega for every last little thing that can ever go wrong, but it's good he knows who it is now. Maybe Kenny doesn't pay attention to the inner machinations of the US indy wrestling scene and doesn't care to. FTR, Rance basically used to be what I guess you'd call Teddy Hart's glorified drug mule, so that's fun.

5 hours ago, Archibald said:

Should registered sex offenders be black listed from wrestling?

The answer is yes. However, I would be interested in a thread on what does/does not get you blackballed in today's wrestling environment. Some of people's reactions to Austin having the gall to put Enzo on his show bothered me.