DVDVR Message Board

NJPW Kizuna Road 2018 - Farewell Super Strong Machine and The Return of Tomoaki Honma (and Jeff Cobb)

Raziel

Kizuna Road is loaded this year, with the SSM Retirement match, Honmamania returns!  Oh, and they booked Cobb again.

6.15 has a couple good elim tags

6.17 has the G1 Participant announcements and is mained by Elgin/Goto for the NEVER belt.

6.18 has the Block announcements and mained by a Takahashi/Despy Jr. TItle match!

6.19 the G1 Main Announcements is the SSM Retirement match with SSM Ace (Tanahashi), SSM Buffalo (Tenzan), SSM Justice (Nagata), SSM No 69 (Taguchi) and SSM Don (Nakanishi) w/SSM himself vs. LIJ

6.23 is the Honma return match, with Honma, Makabe, Tanahashi, Henare, and Taguchi vs. LIJ.

• Like 1

I ended up liking Elgin/Goto more than I expected and it was much better, in my opinion, than Elgin/Ishii that we got earlier in the year. Weird that Elgin got the win at Dominion and now lost to Goto. I half wonder if Elgin didn't win simply so that Omega could talk about how gaijins are totally dominating NJPW. Either way he is going to have strong G1 most likely since usually people drop lower tier belts so that they could be presented as credible potential winners.

Interference in the middle was weird and I suppose whole point was to remind that Taichi is still there and Cobb is alive too. Next is Cobb, but I'm a bit whatever on that since in my unpopular opinion Cobb is inferior to Elgin in very way (well obvious exception being that he is not an asshole, or at least we are not aware of that, yet) so I'm already ready for Goto/Taichi singles, probably at Destruction shows.

On 6/12/2018 at 2:49 AM, alstein said:

Cobb I believe was taking bookings during G1, but he is booked for the CEO show in Orlando.  My guess is they still like Cobb but have nothing for him right now.

Looking like Cobb's gonna challenge Goto, so there ya go.

EDIT: This post was redundant. It was also superfluous, and repeated previously stated information. Lastly, it was redundant.

• Like 1

Yeah, I kinda hope that we won't get obvious outcome with him winning G1 since it would immediately brush that aside. On other hand when he got in the ring with Tanahashi my first reaction was "they aren't done, are they?" and I'm ready for him to move up something else.

Short recap:

1. Sanada walked out on Naito during their usual post match fist bump ceremony due to both being in the same G1 block.

2. White continues to torment Juice.

3. Jr. heavyweight title match got similar intro to heavyweight title match where all previous champs are shown. It was shorter (if I'm not mistaken heavyweight title shows each champion separately while here they showed 4 at a time), but it was pleasant surprise.

4. I liked Hiromu/Desperado from BotSJ more, but this was still great match. Weirdly enough highlight to me was how casually Desperado put his mask back on after Hiromu pulled it and didn't even pretend to hide his face. Its like I don't give a shit about anything, but beating you. I think he wasn't even phased for a second once he got his mask pulled.

5. If I got it right Dragon Less is next.

2 hours ago, Archibald said:

Short recap:

1. Sanada walked out on Naito during their usual post match fist bump ceremony due to both being in the same G1 block.

2. White continues to torment Juice.

3. Jr. heavyweight title match got similar intro to heavyweight title match where all previous champs are shown. It was shorter (if I'm not mistaken heavyweight title shows each champion separately while here they showed 4 at a time), but it was pleasant surprise.

4. I liked Hiromu/Desperado from BotSJ more, but this was still great match. Weirdly enough highlight to me was how casually Desperado put his mask back on after Hiromu pulled it and didn't even pretend to hide his face. Its like I don't give a shit about anything, but beating you. I think he wasn't even phased for a second once he got his mask pulled.

5. If I got it right Dragon Less is next.

Is that you, Michael Buffer?! 

watched the SSM retirement show live. from a wrestling standpoint it was just fine (the Jay & Juice bits interesting) but the main event was a lot of fun. the ceremony was rightfully the highlight with a lovely set of video packages, a touching reunion of Black New Japan (ft. Kazunari Marukami and Katsuyori Shibata!), and then a beautiful oration that I understood few words of but SSM was tearful under his mask. He was talking about how his wife passed away from cancer in the last few years. Not a dry eye in the house nor at home either.

• Like 3

I watched post match interviews and stuff with Taichi was interesting. I'm not sure if this thread is more appropriate or G1, but maybe it makes sense to post it here since most likely nothing concerning G1 will come out of it.

Basically if I got it right NJPW got a bit of shit from fans for including Yoshi-Hashi into G1 instead of Taichi and Taichi called bullshit on that saying how company isn't putting fans first and are just playing favourites again. He didn't actually name Yoshi-Hashi, but looking at Japanese comments it is clear who he is talking about.

Sure, Taichi is heel and all that so he talks shit, but Yoshi-Hashi has been rapidly approaching jobber status for a year now and I kinda wonder if he won't start getting booed due to all these circumstances.

Yeah. Someone in an interview (Jericho, I think?) brought up Shibata, and Owens insisted he had no time to watch other wrestling, and no desire to. But then, he also tweets about Ilja Dragunov, so it's pretty hard to take that seriously.