DVDVR Message Board

NJPW G1 Climax 28, LIVE AT THE BUDOKAN! 7/14-8/12

Raziel

?

(Totally agree we get Omega/Yano for the title. Like, if you wanted to ask "Given his leverage with the company, what title matches would Kenny most want to angle for?" I think you'd arrive at defenses against Yano, Ishii, and Ibushi. So...)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, sevendaughters said:

they've sold that show out on the Kenny-Ibushi match, it would be like the Vader-Inoki riot if they screwed that one up. 

I'm only at Goto/Zack at the moment but I do find it interesting that the Omega/Ibushi show sold out and the Tana/Okada show hasn't. Run it at the Dome, Gedo! 

Jyusu/Ishii was good fun but there were moments in those signature Ishii quick strike exchanges that Juice struggled to keep up with. Yokohama crowd is kind of poo.

Edit: LOVED the ending of Zack/Goto. I was wishing for that ending to keep those beautiful pinning combinations strong. 

Unreal, Page wasn't wearing his boots for the save. 100% commitment to character achieved!

The reaction to the result in that match was perfect and I was right there with them. Yano vs. Omega is going to rule. Excellent setup for it too. 

• Like 1

Ibushi has to be the one that turns on Kenny, because they telegraphed Kenny being the one that turns so much that he's gonna snap and go full Megapowers Explode eventually.

Basically, since Ibushi almost cost Kenny his win over Okada with shitty advice about jumping off the top rope, you'd expect Kenny to turn.  No.  Ibushi did it on purpose.  He was plotting against Kenny all along.  He just wanted them to be a tag team.  He had to go win the top singles title.  He wants to wear his skin for his birthday now.  We just don't know it yet.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Oyaji said:

I'm only at Goto/Zack at the moment but I do find it interesting that the Omega/Ibushi show sold out and the Tana/Okada show hasn't. Run it at the Dome, Gedo!

Well everyone had opportunity to see Tanahashi/Okada 4 months ago while Omega/Ibushi is fresh match that in theory might never happen again due to them actually not turning on each other or crippling themselves during the match. And I assume having Naito in semi-main doesn't hurt either.

If I recall correctly 2 years ago Naito/Omega sold more tickets than Tanahashi/Okada as well. Which is a bit funny considering that Omega at the time was much smaller (in terms of star power) than he is now.

Another thing... earlier this year team Tanahashi vs team Okada elimination match also sold less tickets than team Naito vs team Suzuki which resulted in Okada saying how nobody wants to see Tanahahsi. So yeah, while this match up has produced many classics... probably a case could be made that it hasn't actually drawn that much considering that these are top two pushed wrestlers of the company.

Man, they had me 100% on board with Omega/Yano until the flat finish. That sucked! I wanted straight up Yano shenanigans ftw.

@Archibald, Omega/Ibushi is still outdrawing the current ace and the old ace. That's huge. I do remember that empty lookin' Korakuen crowd for the elimination match. Okada of course blamed Tanahashi but he's clearly not the draw he ought to be relative to his push. I think you can run Omega/Ibushi as the headline match with Jericho/Tanahashi and Naito/Okada beneath and sell as many tickets as this year's show if not more. You can do it without splitting up the GL too, but... ?

8 hours ago, sevendaughters said:

yeah for sure. i was fantasy booking and it coloured my expectations.

This definitely doesn't feel like it's the right time for an LIJ implosion what with the BC and Chaos strife currently ongoing. SANADA still feels like he's finding his feet in big matches and EVIL is talking about breaking down the idea of faction leader. Let that marinate. 

Main event was very good but like others I was left wanting more. Naito hasn't had the super tournament I was expecting from him given the block's strength. 

I'm gonna die inside when Naito beats Zack. 

3 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Man, they had me 100% on board with Omega/Yano until the flat finish. That sucked! I wanted straight up Yano shenanigans ftw.

@Archibald, Omega/Ibushi is still outdrawing the current ace and the old ace. That's huge. I do remember that empty lookin' Korakuen crowd for the elimination match. Okada of course blamed Tanahashi but he's clearly not the draw he ought to be relative to his push. I think you can run Omega/Ibushi as the headline match with Jericho/Tanahashi and Naito/Okada beneath and sell as many tickets as this year's show if not more. You can do it without splitting up the GL too, but... ?

The Friday A Block show always draws less than the Saturday B Block show. 

2015:

Styles/Tanahashi (A Block) - 5,658

Okada/Nakamura (B Block) - 7,557

2016:

Okada/Tanahashi (A Block) - 6,598

Omega/Naito (B Block) - 7,477

2017:

Naito/Tanahashi (A Block) - 7,495

Okada/Omega (B Block) - 7,591

I really think the attendance for the final block shows has more to do with the day of the show than the draws on the card.

B Block has the advantage of their final on a weekend which is a big factor in the attendance.

I think if Okada/Tana was on Saturday and Omega/Ibushi was on Friday, that there would be a very different narrative.

• Thanks 2

On 8/2/2018 at 11:07 AM, sevendaughters said:

the DAVEs are in for the last few days

DAY 8: Goto-Yano 2, Naito-Tama 3.5, Sabre-Ishii 4.5, Omega-Juice 4.25, SANADA-Ibushi 4.75
DAY 9: Suzuki-Elgin 3, EVIL-Page 3.75, Fale-White 1.5, Tanahashi-Makabe 3.25, Okada-Yoshi 4.5
DAY 10: Sabre-Tama 1.25, Juice-Yano 1.75, Ibushi-Ishii 4.75, Naito-Goto 3.5, Omega-SANADA 4.75
DAY 11: Fale-Makabe 0.75, White-Page 3.25, Suzuki-EVIL 3.5, Tanahashi-Yoshi 3.75, Okada-Elgin 4.5
DAY 12: Tama-Ishii 3, Juice-SANADA 3.5, Naito-Yano 2.5, Omega-Sabre 4.5, Ibushi-Goto 4.5

in 2013/2014 me and Dave would never be more than a quarter-star away from each other but in the last few years we're barely hitting the same thing!

DAVE UPDATES for days 13-16

DAY 13: Elgin-Fale 2.75, Page-Makabe 3.5, White-Yoshi 3.25, Tanahashi-EVIL 4, Okada-Suzuki 4.5
DAY 14: SANADA-Yano 2.5, Goto-Tonga 1.75, Sabre-Robinson 3.5, Omega-Ishii 5.5, Ibushi-Naito 4.75
DAY 15: Yoshi-Fale 2.25, Page-Suzuki 3.25, White-Makabe 3, Tanahashi-Elgin 4, Okada-EVIL 4.25
DAY 16: Ishii-Juice 4, Sabre-Goto 3.75, Tonga-Ibushi 3.75, Omega-Yano 2.5, Naito-SANADA 4.25

Man, he described Naito/SANADA as "very good". 4.25 is the new NJPW very good. 

I'm angrier about the block b bullshit today than I was yesterday and not in a good way. There's just about zero chance Zack beats Naito for a second time this year. Naito looks beat-up and isn't having blow away matches. Has he had one match this tournament that exceeded expectations? 

Meltz also suggested White may get Okada at the Dome. I could see that if Okada isn't winning the G1.

NJPW without swearing isn't the NJPW I want. Juice's promos are amplified like 100x over with swears. 

God knows I've been on the Ibushi hype train for... a while... but I haven't given up hope. Sabre could do it! He won't. But... he could. They wouldn't do a dual draw, would they? (I'd actually like that.) Kenny winning the whole thing, then challenging Ibushi might make more sense than Ibushi beating him once, then getting the chance to do it again.

Naito, I'd be happy enough with (if he beats Okada), though you're right that he's been... well, there's been no shortage of people who have criticized a lot of his work, this year. I can't find it now but one pretty prominent wrestling twitter person called his performance against Suzuki the worst a New Japan main event has seen in years, shameful, etc. (I thought the match was a bit of a dud, though I don't think it was all that dreadful; and in any case, MiSu's often looking his age, finally.) Others have speculated he's a bit checked out, having been denied the top-tier status his popularity probably deserves. But I'm not sure I'd agree to that either, otherwise why would he be taking insane headbumps in every big match? That certainly doesn't suggest someone who is coasting. But he's also absolutely been bettered by Omega, Ibushi, and Ishii (and fuck, I'd listen to a case that Yano and maybe even Goto have been better too) in this year's G1, which is... well, it's not nothing.

As for Okada/White, I'd like that. A grudge match for no title would feel like less of a step down for Okada than challenging for or defending anything else would, and of course Jay's been angling for this since his Chaos presser.

• Like 1

Suzuki had that stinker against Elgin last year too, but yeah... That Naito/Suzuki match was not good. You mentioned nobody sells a lengthy submission better than Naito. He IS great at it usually but not so much against Suzuki, whereas Tanahashi succeeded there numerous times and has even outdone Okada in this regard too. 

I've never been as high on Naito as most though I get his appeal mostly. But he's not having a banner year for great matches or even elevating talent around him. I think you're right that it's unfair to say he's not giving it a go when he's killing himself with some of these bumps but something is definitely off. Even going back to the dome main event, it didn't live up to the admittedly insane expectations we all had for it. 

Okada's "what am I without balloons?" comment when noting the Budokan doesn't allow balloons slayed me.

I think it's pretty great that there are so many permutations for the finals with these last two days. That's definitely one thing I like about it. However, there was a clear narrative on the table for Ibushi and it doesn't seem like they're going to pull the trigger. Sure, him getting fucked over by Kenny wanting to have his cake and eat it too is a fascinating set up for a Golden Lovers match, but it's not exactly the story his G1 and bigger New Japan arc needs, particularly after beating Naito. I kind of hate the idea of a big 3 or 4 when there are legit talents ready to break through. 

Ok, so Tanahashi is still alive, he was my original pick and I’m sticking with that. 

1) I think Evil beats Jay. Please can we call him Scythe Pervert?

2) I think White then costs Okada. Not directly, because Tana’s too pure to accept that, but he’ll cause *wait for it* Chaos. The crowd won’t care because their forever ace wins. 

3) I would laugh for years if White just straight attacked Tana like five minutes into the match, getting Okada DQ’d. THEN Meij walks out and restarts the match, and declares that Jay is BANNED from using cutlery. Maximum fuckery.

4) Chris Charlton is back on English commentary. I think he’s been nice. 

5) Kenny and Kota are gonna fight. I’m not ready.

6) I really am, though.

7) Also kinda stoked for Page/Yoshihashi, which is a sign I should stop. 

• Like 1

Finally caught up just in time for the block finals. Its been a fun tournament thus far. Ishii has been MVP overall easily. Tana, EVIL and Page have brought the goods in block A  and block B has been outstanding outside of Tama. Maybe I’ll post more thoughts tomorrow when I’m less tired.

DAY 17 INSTATHOUGHTS

ELGIN-MAKABE Elgin came dressed as a big Christmas Cake for some reason. Don't see the point in these two pretending to have a wrestling match for five minutes before throwing bombs. Just get out there and go hard for six minutes, it'll be MUCH better. Ending was good. ***

YOSHI-PAGE was ticking along nicely but they really pulled me in with the Buckshot and the Destroyer (even though this is a stupid move). Whatever the world saw in Adam Cole, I see in Page. ***1/2

SUZUKI-FALE fuck right off. not even the run-ins made sense with Desperado just standing there. -*

EVIL-WHITE think they tried for the big semi-final performance to pick things up but the same old routine at the end leaves this with a ceiling of ***1/2.

TANAHASHI-OKADA not their best but brilliant all the same. ****1/2

change in perception (mine) after the tournament

120px-Green_Arrow_Up.svg.png PAGE, YOSHI

120px-Arrow_Blue_Right_001.svg.png EVIL, MAKABE, TANAHASHI, WHITE

120px-Red_Arrow_Down.svg.png SUZUKI, FALE, OKADA, ELGIN

• Like 2

I was kinda hoping for Jay White related fuckery in the main, before it started, but don't regret the lack of Maximum Bonkers when Tanahashi and Okada do that. They're great, can't be anything less, and the crowd... the swelling shrieks and cascading stomps was borderline orchestral. I love how much certain crowds love Tanahashi; it's impossible to resist getting wrapped up in it (not that I try). Every bit a main event worthy of the building. And I love that Okada isn't all the way back, that Tana actually had him beat--maybe, probably. Credit to the English announce crew, also, for hitting the right story beats throughout. Charlton noting Tana's neck control(?) as being reminiscent of the famous wrist control moment was especially nice.

So, where to now? I think Tana advancing essentially eliminates Naito. I could absolutely see Ibushi getting his moment of absolute ascendance, beating the god his finisher names for the G1; and I could also see Kenny getting that win after a draw with Ibushi. He won't beat Okada's record reign, but he can do something the Rainmaker never did, and win the G1 while champion.

Anyway, Page and Yoshi delivered on what I hoped, and Ibushi and Omega actually did not fight. Crucially, Kota looked more than a little annoyed at having to deal with this bullshit again. It ain't happening, but Kota going Black Tights and turning Kenny's own gun against him would feel earned.

• Like 4

In my head I see an angle to get the Tongans out of the picture before Omega/Ibushi hook up (like getting trapped in their locker room or otherwise ejected out of the building by the Elite), only for someone else to run in and cost them. Ishimori or Hikuleo returning, a heel turn (Henare?), etc. Either way, 100% guarantee we get main event fuckery.

1 minute ago, Pete said:

In my head I see an angle to get the Tongans out of the picture before Omega/Ibushi hook up (like getting trapped in their locker room or otherwise ejected out of the building by the Elite), only for someone else to run in and cost them. Ishimori or Hikuleo returning, a heel turn (Henare?), etc. Either way, 100% guarantee we get main event fuckery.

The size of the lampshade they're throwing over it means you might be on to something: