DVDVR Message Board

NJPW G1 Climax 28, LIVE AT THE BUDOKAN! 7/14-8/12

Raziel

Hah, you'll love Naito's post-match comments from today, Archibald. He said Zack's a better wrestler than Suzuki and that's who interests him, not O-sama/King. Hilariously dismissive and disrespectful.

Okada's split with Gedo was 100% amicable, so if you were expecting anything from that, you'd be disappointed. I know I was taken aback how boring it was.

Tanahashi said Ibushi has surpassed him in all things but heart in his post-match comments. He then said the responsibility of leading everyone may be too much for Kota and that's something Ibushi needs to get comfortable saying. It's interesting and I recommend watching it. I'll post it below.

Lip quivers at the Ibushi portion. Uplifting in the end tho.

I think it's likelier Tanahashi breaks the loser streak at WK than it is he loses the contract to this Okada. That is, unless Okada really wants to be embraced as a privileged jerk off who the crowd resents 100%. Then at that point, it would be rather funny.

I've seen little of the G1 Climax but from what I have, I'd go:

1. Tanahashi vs. Ibushi. G1 Climax Finals.

2. Tanahashi vs. Okada. A Block Finals.

3. Ishii vs. Omega.

4. Ibushi vs. Omega.

5. Sabre Jr. vs. Naito.

6. Yano vs. Omega.

It's really tight between #1-2. I'm not sure if I have them in the right order.

10 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Hah, you'll love Naito's post-match comments from today, Archibald. He said Zack's a better wrestler than Suzuki and that's who interests him, not O-sama/King. Hilariously dismissive and disrespectful.

I really found it weird how on finals day they switched from Evil/Suzuki and Naito/Zack to Suzuki/Naito and Evil/Zack. Naito kinda addressing that in his comments makes it look slightly better. I guess they are going to run with another LiJ/Suzuki-Gun program till WK. As long as we get Naito/Zack IV from it I'm happy. Bonus points if it somehow leads to Suzuki/Zack at WK.

I'd like to see SANADA vs. Suzuki again. I remember thoroughly enjoying their G1 tilt last year and SANADA keeps on improving, though some of his athletic spots may be difficult for Suzuki to keep up with.

Man, you want Zack vs. Suzuki already?! They haven't even held the tag straps and you want to have them face off with one another! That is the one thing I feel like NJPW really lacks. They treat tag matches as cameos and sneak previews for big singles matches the large majority of the time. Serious tag matches where the guys go all out would be entertaining as hell and could add depth to the singles feuds like it did with the All Japan greats from the company's inception to NOAH's golden days. Additionally, the IWGP tag belts would certainly get a prestige bump should somebody from the top of the card hold them when they're not a major singles title holder. EVIL/SANADA was the closest we've gotten to that recently and it worked really well. Gedo would have to get over his indifference of tag wrestling though.

15 minutes ago, Archibald said:

I really found it weird how on finals day they switched from Evil/Suzuki and Naito/Zack to Suzuki/Naito and Evil/Zack. Naito kinda addressing that in his comments makes it look slightly better. I guess they are going to run with another LiJ/Suzuki-Gun program till WK. As long as we get Naito/Zack IV from it I'm happy. Bonus points if it somehow leads to Suzuki/Zack at WK.

I’m really not looking forward to Suzuki/Naito. Their IC Title match this year was legitimately bad.

When Dave Meltzer with his inflated ratings, only gives a 2018 NJPW main event match 3 stars, you know it’s trash.

18 minutes ago, FlaeBlazer said:

By the way, how the hell do you post tweets and videos.

I can only attach links.

I’m on my phone by the way.

Just paste the link to the tweet without the "check out blah blah blah" and it should convert it for you. Same thing with videos and images.

Pretty sure it's "dance, dance, beat, beat." Kenny said it was something about ex-lax. 

5 minutes ago, FlaeBlazer said:

I’m on phone and there is no “check out blah blah blah”.

y7AsG9h.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 8/13/2018 at 8:28 AM, The Natural said:

I've seen little of the G1 Climax but from what I have, I'd go:

1. Tanahashi vs. Ibushi. G1 Climax Finals.

2. Tanahashi vs. Okada. A Block Finals.

3. Ishii vs. Omega.

4. Ibushi vs. Omega.

5. Sabre Jr. vs. Naito.

6. Yano vs. Omega.

It's really tight between #1-2. I'm not sure if I have them in the right order.

Just watched Tanahashi/Ibushi and Tanahashi/Okada back to back. Both in the right positions . ***** for Tanahashi/Ibushi and possibly for Tanahashi/Okada as well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Man, you want Zack vs. Suzuki already?! They haven't even held the tag straps and you want to have them face off with one another! That is the one thing I feel like NJPW really lacks. They treat tag matches as cameos and sneak previews for big singles matches the large majority of the time. Serious tag matches where the guys go all out would be entertaining as hell and could add depth to the singles feuds like it did with the All Japan greats from the company's inception to NOAH's golden days. Additionally, the IWGP tag belts would certainly get a prestige bump should somebody from the top of the card hold them when they're not a major singles title holder. EVIL/SANADA was the closest we've gotten to that recently and it worked really well. Gedo would have to get over his indifference of tag wrestling though.

Normally I'd be okay with waiting for Suzuki/Zack, but I'm not sure how much wrestling Suzuki still has in him so I'd rather it happen early than it happening when Suzuki is like Tenzan.

If Tanahashi loses the main event to Okada... like, I don’t think it’s happening. But man. If? Normally I might just root for the most insane thing, but not in this case, because the building might not survive, and I really want to see Omega/Ishii.

It really seems like Omega and Tana are happy to start feuding already, though:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Boy, seeing them do a lucha Star (Estrella) hold in New Japan is weird. During the entire '80s lucha set that was only on THERE maybe twice even, three times at most

It's an old Southern spot Chase Owens has brought into New Japan for the tag matches- remember seeing the rowboat done plenty of times in Crockett.

5 hours ago, FlaeBlazer said:

By the way, how the hell do you post tweets and videos.

I can only attach links.

I’m on my phone by the way.

When you paste a link into the post editor, a box will pop up at the bottom that says it was posted as “rich text” and will ask you if you want want to post as plain text instead.  You do!  Click on it, and that will embed whatever you’re trying to post.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Okada's split with Gedo was 100% amicable, so if you were expecting anything from that, you'd be disappointed. I know I was taken aback how boring it was.

This all but torpedoes my hopes for a Jerry Krause/Michael Jordan dynamic where Gedo's view of himself as The Rainmaker...maker leads him on a quixotic quest to reinvent YOSHI-HASHI as Rainmaker v2. Boo.

Also I'm probably going to mainline so much Block B action in the next few days I may come out the other side with vicarious CTE.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Beech27 said:

If Tanahashi loses the main event to Okada... like, I don’t think it’s happening. But man. If? Normally I might just root for the most insane thing, but not in this case, because the building might not survive, and I really want to see Omega/Ishii.

It really seems like Omega and Tana are happy to start feuding already, though:

I mean, now it's a question of IF we get it, but if we do indeed get it... It? It is gonna be sooo good. 

Will we get a subtitled version of the 30 minute press conference? I know it took them forever to translate the G1 press conference if they did it at all, so I don't have high hopes. 

rewatched the final with English commentary. good enthusiasm, Chris Charlton slightly overdid it as local knowledge guy but he also did seem legit excited to be calling it.

lot of details that I forgot to recap yesterday, like Tanahashi doing the Shibata corner stomp and then nodding to him outside. don't know why I'm stalling on calling this 5*, it really was extraordinary.

• Like 3