DVDVR Message Board

NJPW G1 Climax 28, LIVE AT THE BUDOKAN! 7/14-8/12

Raziel

On 6/13/2018 at 8:54 AM, Niners Fan in CT said:

Shouldn't ZSJ be in this?  He had a huge run in the NJ Cup and a solid match with Okada.  He's well known and a legitimate treat to anyone in the field. 

I'm hoping he will be - low-impact bouts for his opponents, singles submission school for the young'uns, style deviation for the fans and I'd imagine a booker's dream when it comes to pulling off random-ass G1 results. It's been a while since they've had anyone in the Nishimura role.

• Like 1

YOSHI-HASHI is in it..meh...

IWGP Heavyweight Champion Kenny Omega
NEVER Openweight Champion Michael Elgin
IWGP US Heavyweight Champion Jay White (Climax Debut)
Hiroshi Tanahashi
Togi Makabe
Juice Robinson
Kazuchika Okada
NEVER Openweight Champion Hirooki Goto
Tomohiro Ishii
Toru Yano
YOSHI-HASHI
Bad Luck Fale
Tama Tonga
Hangman Page (Climax Debut)
Tetsuya Naito
EVIL
SANADA
Minoru Suzuki
Zack Sabre Jr.
Kota Ibushi

• Like 1

Omega Elgin Jay White Tanahashi Makabe Juice Okada Goto Ishii Yano YOSHIHASHI Fale Tonga Hangman Page Naito EVIL SANADA Suzuki ZSJ Ibushi

No real surprises, would have rather had Cobb over Elgin or Fale. Page is an interesting choice. I'm sure Cody's busy with other bookings. WE NEED NAKANISHI.

I wonder if we'll get Okada/Omega V in the G1 Climax or not? Does it happen like Okada/Tanahashi wrestled in singles match in 2013/2016 including the G1 Climax that year or we get a break from it? Okada/Tanahashi at Wrestling Dontaku 2018 was their first match since the aforementioned G1 Climax bout in 2016. I'm thinking we won't get them in the same block.

I see I was right about there not being many spots for fresh faces this year.  And of the NJPW guys who could’ve reasonably beeen in it that were left out there, Page is...not necessarily worse than any of them.  If nothing else, you know he’s going to work hard in every match.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Natural said:

I wonder if we'll get Okada/Omega V in the G1 Climax or not? Does it happen like Okada/Tanahashi wrestled in singles match in 2013/2016 including the G1 Climax that year or we get a break from it? Okada/Tanahashi at Wrestling Dontaku 2018 was their first match since the aforementioned G1 Climax bout in 2016. I'm thinking we won't get them in the same block.

I feel like their book should be closed for now, yeah. Take a step back and let the story breathe a bit.

• Like 1

Really only blah about yoshihashi making it. G1 needs guys who can take a lot of losses; but it needs them to stay over despite those outcomes piling up. Practically, that usually means younger guys or older guys—Kojima and Nagata were amazing last year—whereas yoshi is at his rather low ceiling.

Tacos is a perfectly serviceable and sometimes good if a bit boring wrestling with way too much hair. I'm fine with him being in there. Gotta have a guy who can win the IWGP Title in September convincingly after he beats Kenny after all.

• Like 1

On 6/12/2018 at 11:20 AM, John E. Dynamite said:

Cody needed this to prove he could hang in NJPW singles matches. He had the most to gain. I think this is a very bad look for a guy who may not realize how much leeway he gets for his lackluster in-ring work. If Cody's not in than who knows what's up with the Bucks, they should have never won the tag titles in the first place. I think loading up the gaijin with belts for San Fran is going to keep a lot of title holders out of the G1 and the announced field is going to be resented.

Who knows what's gonna be up with the bottom rung. Kitamura should have been a factor in this. Honma should not be working a G1 schedule. I have nothing to say about YOSHI-HASHI other than he should be fired in January. Thank God for Taichi, who's going to be very important as a fall-or-fluke guy. Maybe David Finlay and Chuckie can get in there and eat some pins. KUSHIDA would be great.

As far as the potential winners it's the same as it always is + a bit more emphasis on Kota. Jay White needs a big run with a finish near the top of his block. There' no point in exposing Jericho with a run and he probably wouldn't come cheap. NJPW could use an out-of-towner pretty bad this year, a Marufuji/Nakajima/Rush/Whatever, but I guess they're keeping with the isolationist thing.

Hasn't Cody Rhodes already done that with the likes of Okada and Ibushi? IMHO Cody Rhodes doesn't really need to do anything. 

Well I think you can pencil Okada into the final cause I don't see anyone else possibly taking Block A also Yoshi, Elgin, and Makabe in the same block? well I know three matches I'm probably gonna skip. Sad that Yano and Suzuki are in different blocks. Block B looks interesting for sure.

Kenny/Ibushi is... yeah. I can’t wait, but I’m also not ready. It also seems a great candidate to end in a draw, sending Naito to the finals on the last night. I’ll write way too much about the implications regarding every match these three have; Okada, on the other hand, looks really a strong favorite in block a. (Almost too strong?)

Of course, lots of other interesting matches. Two that stand out to me because of a similar yet contrasting dynamic are Okada/White and Naito/SANADA. (I don’t think Jay’s been needling Okada since debuting for no reason.) And I’ll never complain about Okada/Suzuki and Omega/Ishii. Also really curious to see what Kenny/ZSJ looks like.