DVDVR Message Board

Happy Pride Sonya! - SDL - 6/5/2018

Dolfan in NYC

This was a pretty good show tonight.  

Sonya Deville is going to be a good one.  She had a solid match with Naomi and brought it to Asuka tonight.  I was fearful of her getting lost with Ronda signing.  

How great is Rusev and Samoa Joe as a team?  Holy shit they were just wrecking shit.  

Contract signing was cool.  

There were quite a few little things you don't see anymore that popped up tonight.  The contract signing was around an office table I haven't seen that in forever and Big Cass interview was done from the Superstars stage placement.  I like it.  

Nice little backstage segment with Zelina/Almas and Sin Cara too.  

• Like 1

Joesev would be a great team.

Good show tonight, especially after that Raw. I marked out for Becky's win too. She's one of those wrestlers who can go from losing regularly to believable title contender in one match.

Cass' suit seemed a little better?

I laughed my ass off at the camera angle used to make Cass seem like he's actually 7 feet tall. 

I'm thinking Cass only owns one suit and it's still ill-fitting. It's eerie how similar WWE is to Seinfeld, both shows about nothing.

• Like 5

Quite enjoyed tonight's episode, that's the most time the women's division has gotten in a long time, and they had good matches and got strong crowd reactions even in Corpus Christi--even Carmella got better reactions than she has of late. I suppose you could argue that Charlotte/Becky didn't have a feud progression, but it was still a quality TV match with a nice ending and some cute friendship spots.

Cass's promo would have been more effective if it was a little shorter (pun intended), but after Raw's festival of filler and lack of logic, that episode was a breath of fresh air. And Almas's first proper match next week! Good times.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, The Green Meanie said:

The funniest part of tonight was Cass constantly mentioning "little men" whilst in Corpus, that had me rolling out of my chair with laughter.

Holy crap did Dean Malenko look old! I suddenly felt sad and old at the same time.

Malenko is one of those guys that has always looked like a middle-aged man.

10 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Malenko is one of those guys that has always looked like a middle-aged man.

He has, but tonight he progressed to old man.

Also,

Spoiler

Was it a slip of the tongue, or possible spoiler with Corey saying Bayley was in the MITB erroneously in place of Nattie?

3 minutes ago, The Green Meanie said:

He has, but tonight he progressed to old man.

Also,

Hide contents

Was it a slip of the tongue, or possible spoiler with Corey saying Bayley was in the MITB erroneously in place of Nattie?

I caught that, too. I'm thinking we get Bayley vs. Ruby on the pre-show for Nattie's spot in the match.

Everything involving the women tonight was nice. It was good seeing them get half of the show. The handicap match was the best Mandy and Sonya have look on the main roster so far. Carmella wasn't on commentary either. The mixed tag had some fun moments. Charlotte/Becky was good stuff though I'm surprised Becky won here since she won their last singles match.

The contract signing was fun for Nakamura. The man looks so sleazy and devious. I just love how he takes every chance he can to fuck with AJ.

• Like 1

Cass saying "Look how high you have to reach up to talk to me" (or words to that effect) had me snickering since the obvious comeback is "Yep, almost as high as she has to reach to talk to Braun, Big Show, Kane, etc."

Speaking of giants, Sin Cara looks Cass-sized when it's in the same frame as Zelina Vega.  Maybe they should pair her with Cass to get him over as a big man.

• Like 1

Asuka vs. Sonya and Mandy was awesome. As much as I don't care for Sonya/Mandy losing almost all the time since coming to SDL, everybody involved looked great here. That whole sequence with Sonya's spear from eating Asuka's kick to the face first to the exchange on the mat leading into the finish was the best. Easy highlight of the show for me, Sonya rules. With Charlotte now tapping out clean to Becky, I still think Carmella cashing in on Asuka would've been the better choice in hindsight with everything else playing out the same.

• Like 1

I don't know if this is a take or what but I don't think it's crazy to say Sonya/Mandy are better than the Iconics. I give Peyton and Billie credit for their mic work but it's one note and they've done a good job of milking that one note but in-ring I don't see it with either of them.  Sonya/Mandy are getting good in a very short period of time.  

• Like 2

Neither are as good as the IIconics in the ring, like even close. I can seen Sonya getting there with time, but to suggest it now is just crazy talk/preference of gimmick. They are way less annoying than the IIconics on the mic, but that is about it.

53 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I don't know if this is a take or what but I don't think it's crazy to say Sonya/Mandy are better than the Iconics. I give Peyton and Billie credit for their mic work but it's one note and they've done a good job of milking that one note but in-ring I don't see it with either of them.  Sonya/Mandy are getting good in a very short period of time.  

The Iconics haven't really been given the chance to show much on Smackdown. I like all four, but Mandy and Sonya aren't as polished in the ring yet. That shouldn't be surprising given they spent a lot less time in nxt.

Bryan is gonna go old school on Cass and hook him. 

When Rusev and Joe did that double team move, I was like "oh god...they would be the greatest big man team ever". A new Smackdown 6 with them, Sheamus/Cesaro and The Bludgeon Brothers would be the stuff of legend.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

And that's why looking at the camera is way better than not.

Either guys have decided no one watches the Exclusive videos or someone finally realized that they don't have to look awhile all the time since The B Team were talking directly to the camera too on their exclusive video after RAW

• Like 1