DVDVR Message Board

A General RIP Thread

RIPPA

The fact that within hours this settled simply into "The pedophile left did it!" vs. "The pedophile right did it!" is pretty much all the evidence you need that we're cooked already.

We have a crossfire framework of mental inertia so strong that even this just blends right into it without so much as causing a ripple toward changing anyone's minds about anything.

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I was wondering if she would go in the TV obit section or the general one. 

She's a well respected and legendary radio and television journalist and a best selling author author so the General one is fine, IMO, since the Reading and Television threads don't do justice to the entire scope of her work..

RIP.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Larry Kramer, playwright, gay rights activist, AIDS activist, founder of Gay Men's Health Crisis, and one of the key figures in ACT UP has passed away at age 84.  

Kramer saved countless lives with his advocacy and even 84 is too young to lose him.

RIP

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

God, I could write and write and write about Larry Kramer and what he meant to the AIDS-ravaged queer community.  I could tell you what his actions did for a generation of kids who, myself included, grew up watching those just a little older than us dying at a catastrophic rate.  I could tell you how his voice not only meant a change in how America viewed this virus, but also protest in general.  I could say he was a superhero.  But he was just a man.  A good man who simply wanted the privilege to die with dignity.  Well he did so today. 

Here's a story about a guy who lived in his building who happened to be Mayor of New York:

EZCTRbVXkAI96df?format=png&name=large

The world is a lesser place with him gone.   Rest in power.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

I was just coming back to post that Ed Koch anecdote.  Kramer was a real one.

I really gotta call my mom and thank for teaching a little kid growing up in Kansas about this stuff.

• Like 1

Christo, the conceptual artist known for creating monumental, colorful installations around the world with his late spouse Jeanne-Claude,  has died.  He made the world a little weirder and more  colorful and I appreciate that.

Surrounded Islands has always been a personal favorite of mine:

thats-a-wrap-7-defining-works-by-christo

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/31/2020 at 6:11 PM, Zimbra said:

Christo, the conceptual artist known for creating monumental, colorful installations around the world with his late spouse Jeanne-Claude,  has died.  He made the world a little weirder and more  colorful and I appreciate that.

Surrounded Islands has always been a personal favorite of mine:

thats-a-wrap-7-defining-works-by-christo

Yeah those were cool... until they started to degrade and cost the city of Miami  a bunch of money to clean them up.  ?  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, J.T. said:

One of my heroes is gone.  A man of quiet strength and conviction.  RIP John Lewis.

You beat me to it, bro... One of the worst things about growing old is that you see your heroes pass before you do. John Lewis was one of my heroes, RIP.

• Like 1