DVDVR Message Board

A General RIP Thread

RIPPA

• 1 month later...

Surely all of those GOP senators who insisted the voters decide who got to pick the next SCOTUS judge after Scalia passed in 2016 will maintain their previous stance, no?

*crickets*

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

It's kind of pointless even trying to parse out their hypocrisy. It knows no bounds and it won't stop them. They routinely laugh among themselves because they can't believe Obama ate that shit. They said you can't do the thing they're about to do. 

Edited by Andy in Kansas
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, Andy in Kansas said:

None. Because they're spineless and Biden might still "lose." Or even outright lose. 

You just wait until they call the Republican senators hypocrites tho! That will win the day for them. 

1 hour ago, Andy in Kansas said:

Sorry for your loss, America. 

I've got more alarmist things to say. But I'm not sure anyone paying attention needs to hear them. 

Or hasn't been thinking them all along.

Fuck.  fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck.

Now VOTE, people.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jiji said:How many more justices are the Democrats going to pack in next year?

This is the same Tom Cotton that wanted to bomb protestors with American planes, right? Cool.

It’ll depend on how many seats the Democrats gain in November, if it ends up 50-50 I can’t see an expansion of the court due to Joe Machin thinking about his own hide and siding with the Republicans. If it ends up 51-49 or 52-48 the either of these will most likely happen. 

If the GOP waits until after the election and confirms someone during the lame duck the Democrats will add 2 to the court in 2021. 

If the GOP lightspeeds someone in before the election(sadly they’re going to do this) the Democrats will add 2 and it’ll be one of the first things Biden will sign as President, they’ll also make DC a state before the midterms. 

I think an expansion of he court is inevitable since the GOP is going to use the current calls for it to justify expansion if they keep the White House and Senate this year and god help us hold the Senate and win the House in the 2022 midterms. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mister TV said:

If the GOP lightspeeds someone in before the election(sadly they’re going to do this) the Democrats will add 2 and it’ll be one of the first things Biden will sign as President, they’ll also make DC a state before the midterms. 

I just want to state that it's nuts that the crux of their arguments against DC and PR statehood are "there'll be two new senators who won't be Republican in perpetuity." How can you possibly speak that weak nonsense out loud? At least fucking pretend. Their posturing that there needs to be a balance between these two parties forever is absurd when you consider that, putting aside your crumbling union, it's clear that both of these parties are withering and dying. Demography and popular sentiment is against them both. But you can't admit new states because it'll throw the balance off in the senate? I don't know how Republicans walk around with balls that big. It's obscene.

And if we're really going to get into this: Yes, vote. But they've been approving judges like it's going out of style because they know they can't outright win elections for much longer, and they want to preserve their will through the courts. So voting is important, but it's far from your most potent remedy. Direct action, shutting shit down and making demands is necessary to push an ineffectual opposition where they need to go, but I'm not American so it ain't up to me. I just know I'm not super pumped to be living next to a heavily-armed Christian theocracy (or wherever this is going), and I'm not excited to see what American political refugees will do for the discourse here.

Anyway, make sure you get out before they start rounding up dissidents into Dodger Stadium. I assume these are the alarmist thoughts @Contentious C was endorsing. If not, sorry for tagging you in my paranoid shit. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

For real though. We've been so programmed to think only assholes and crazies on the political fringe strike and striking is such a perverse, even immoral act in North America (Protestant-based nations? France strikes like a motherfucker and they're not alone in that regard on the continent) when it's really the best way to create change. It's the clearest way to say the system as is does not work and it's not okay. It alone isn't enough and voting certainly isn't, as that's a battle people have been losing for a long time now. I feel complicit in a lot of the bullshit and I want to stop, but it's hard to do as an individual. Collective action is such a chore for us. Ours is not quite as individualistic as American culture presents, but we're not that far behind in Canada (pro-assault guns and anti-mask marches in the same week so solidarity of a different kind). And we too have a tonne of racist and unjust policies and realities that need addressing ASAP. 

Anyway, I hope you're right, @Mister TVand that the Democrats actually play the game as it is being played instead of how it ought to be played (and even then, there's a shit load of Democratic corruption and hypocrisy. Most of them are paid for by lobbyists and big donors too). I'm a little cynical regarding that though.  They still haven't shown that they've learned the lessons of 2016 truly.

There's talk of Romney, Murkowski, and Collins abstaining but the anti-democratic whip may get them in line when it matters. Collins is getting trounced in the polls and it looks very likely that the senate will flip unless the polls are way off. Anyway you slice it, I agree with AiK, that this two party system y'all have going for you is on its last legs. I feel like AOC and her generation may detach themselves from the rotting corpse of the Democratic Party in the next decade or so. I have a hard time seeing the establishment supporting her despite her popularity and ability. 

5 hours ago, Jiji said:

For real though. We've been so programmed to think only assholes and crazies on the political fringe strike and striking is such a perverse, even immoral act in North America (Protestant-based nations? France strikes like a motherfucker and they're not alone in that regard on the continent) when it's really the best way to create change. It's the clearest way to say the system as is does not work and it's not okay. It alone isn't enough and voting certainly isn't, as that's a battle people have been losing for a long time now. I feel complicit in a lot of the bullshit and I want to stop, but it's hard to do as an individual. Collective action is such a chore for us. Ours is not quite as individualistic as American culture presents, but we're not that far behind in Canada (pro-assault guns and anti-mask marches in the same week so solidarity of a different kind). And we too have a tonne of racist and unjust policies and realities that need addressing ASAP. 

Anyway, I hope you're right, @Mister TVand that the Democrats actually play the game as it is being played instead of how it ought to be played (and even then, there's a shit load of Democratic corruption and hypocrisy. Most of them are paid for by lobbyists and big donors too). I'm a little cynical regarding that though.  They still haven't shown that they've learned the lessons of 2016 truly.

There's talk of Romney, Murkowski, and Collins abstaining but the anti-democratic whip may get them in line when it matters. Collins is getting trounced in the polls and it looks very likely that the senate will flip unless the polls are way off. Anyway you slice it, I agree with AiK, that this two party system y'all have going for you is on its last legs. I feel like AOC and her generation may detach themselves from the rotting corpse of the Democratic Party in the next decade or so. I have a hard time seeing the establishment supporting her despite her popularity and ability. 

Last night the Salt Lake Tribune reported that Mitt Romney’s name is being tossed around for Sec. of State in a Biden administration, if we see Susan Collins name pop up as a potential a Sec of Homeland Security and Lisa Murkowski’s name mentioned for Sec. of Energy we’ll know if the Democrats are playing the same kind of ball as the GOP.

If AOC and others like her walk the Democrats will just absorb moderate Republicans like the ones behind the Lincoln Project and change their overall strategy, sorta like the Nixon and the Republicans taking in the Dixiecrats after the Civil Rights Act and starting the Southern Strategy. 

26 minutes ago, Mister TV said:

Last night the Salt Lake Tribune reported that Mitt Romney’s name is being tossed around for Sec. of State in a Biden administration, if we see Susan Collins name pop up as a potential a Sec of Homeland Security and Lisa Murkowski’s name mentioned for Sec. of Energy we’ll know if the Democrats are playing the same kind of ball as the GOP.

If AOC and others like her walk the Democrats will just absorb moderate Republicans like the ones behind the Lincoln Project and change their overall strategy, sorta like the Nixon and the Republicans taking in the Dixiecrats after the Civil Rights Act and starting the Southern Strategy. 

BF6-A94-C9-EEBC-4-D64-AE08-2-CA0-FDAD7-A

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, Andy in Kansas said:

I just want to state that it's nuts that the crux of their arguments against DC and PR statehood are "there'll be two new senators who won't be Republican in perpetuity." How can you possibly speak that weak nonsense out loud? At least fucking pretend. Their posturing that there needs to be a balance between these two parties forever is absurd when you consider that, putting aside your crumbling union, it's clear that both of these parties are withering and dying. Demography and popular sentiment is against them both. But you can't admit new states because it'll throw the balance off in the senate? I don't know how Republicans walk around with balls that big. It's obscene.

And if we're really going to get into this: Yes, vote. But they've been approving judges like it's going out of style because they know they can't outright win elections for much longer, and they want to preserve their will through the courts. So voting is important, but it's far from your most potent remedy. Direct action, shutting shit down and making demands is necessary to push an ineffectual opposition where they need to go, but I'm not American so it ain't up to me. I just know I'm not super pumped to be living next to a heavily-armed Christian theocracy (or wherever this is going), and I'm not excited to see what American political refugees will do for the discourse here.

Anyway, make sure you get out before they start rounding up dissidents into Dodger Stadium. I assume these are the alarmist thoughts @Contentious C was endorsing. If not, sorry for tagging you in my paranoid shit. 

Don't worry about it.  As a diabetic, I should probably be living somewhere where they haven't jacked up my medication prices three- to five-fold in the last decade, and I ought to avoid *literally working for the asshat* (Alex Azar, I guess technically my boss's boss's boss) who was partly responsible for it.

Plus, Myrtle the Turtle knows that the one (non-voting) member of Congress that represents Puerto Rico is...drumroll...a Republican. He's just throwing red meat to the dupes who don't know that, because if they aren't scared, they aren't in line.  PR would stand a decent enough chance of being a split in the Senate if it were a state.

• Like 2