DVDVR Message Board

UFC 225: Whittaker vs. Romero II (6/9/2018) - Chicago, IL (United Center)

Elsalvajeloco

48 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

That's not really a reason.

Well, no shit.

Plenty of money sunk has been sunk in appeals and courts for lawsuits that have taken years to resolve. I don't see why this is any different. If it was WWE that was bankrolling it and they say no, then fine. If this is enough is enough to stop Amann from doing it himself, then fine. Was just asking a question about the possibility.

But his main point still stands. What came out during this whole process that could possibly point to Amann's favour in an appeal? It would be a waste of resources, regardless how unlimited they may be. Dude was basically just found guilty of being a bitch with hurt feelings. He should cut his losses and go back to administering z-paks like they're candy and it's Halloween.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

I don't see why this is any different. 

He didn't have a case. Not even remotely close to one. That's why it is different.  Also, there might be other ways to fuck with CM Punk that are not complete deadends.

The WWE thought they caught CM Punk in a lie. Turns out he was telling the truth or worst case scenario for Punk, he embellished a little but there was no witness really in opposition to his defense so it didn't matter anyway. The tube of toothpaste ran out of toothpaste. You can't roll it up for the last little bit anymore. Just go to the store and buy another one for a dollar fifty. Throw the old one away in the trash. That's what this case was.

29 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

But even though Amann didn't have a case, the judge still allowed it to go to trial instead of tossing it out. 

The fact that the actual trial didn't take long...that's basically the equivalent of being tossed out. It's not like they were in court for months on end. Punk missed one day of media obligations. That's it.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Mike Jackson is an okay/semi-competent kickboxer, but if he got subbed by CM Punk, I don't think that would be the craziest thing ever to happen. Dude is a photographer and journalist and only fights for fun (FWIW the betting lines reflect that). Punk is still robotic in terms of striking from the little footage out there but I mean Mike Jackson ain't Jose Aldo or anything like that. How hard would it be for Punk to go in for a clinch, trip, and somehow land in side control on Mike Jackson? If that isn't his strategy, then I really wonder what the hell Duke Roufus has been conjuring for the past few months.

It's possible that Punk might manage to make this happen, but no way is his head fully into the fight.  He had to put so much into the trial and of all weeks for it to happen it was ending this week.  Even though he won it distracted way too much from his fight.  So unless he figured out Mike way before he stepped into a courtroom then I don't like his chances.

11 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Chris Amann.

By that logic, Amann should never have sued them at all, especially considering he couldn't prove any financial hit he took as a result of this "defamation" other than fans being mean on Twitter.

Dude, you just fucking love to argue.

EDIT: For whatever reason I'm reminded of epwar and his tin foil hat. I don't know what the equivalent is, but that's at least what you always arguing reminds me of.

1 hour ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Even though he won it distracted way too much from his fight.  

Based on what though? By the time he had to break camp for the trial, camp was pretty much over.

Now if this had carried over a span of weeks to the point where he had to run back and forth from Milwaukee to Chicago while altering his training schedule, there would be no reason to be optimistic.

Win or lose, I don't think Punk should have a built in excuse for his performance knowing this is his last at bat for MMA essentially. You booked a fight knowing what was going on and it is still scheduled to go forward. You have to deal with that. Mark Hunt is ACTIVELY in a lawsuit with the UFC. Guess what? Still main eventing and co main eventing UFC cards. It probably does affect his performance. Now to the point where it is a detriment to his overall performance? Not really.

I worry about this stuff with high level fighters in their prime or remotely close to it. For guys who only have one foot in the sport and one foot in their other hobbies/outside interests, their performances are largely going to be dictated by their level of opposition. Punk is fighting Mike Jackson. He doesn't really to have to bring in Glory kickboxing and Lumpinee stadium champions to train for Mike Jackson. If he can't beat him, Punk wasn't really going to win anyway. If Mike Jackson is carving up Punk on the feet and Punk can't get it to the floor, it wasn't because Punk spent weeks wondering how the trial would turn out. Prerequisite fighting skills don't magically appear when you have no stress. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

Dude, you just fucking love to argue.

EDIT: For whatever reason I'm reminded of epwar and his tin foil hat. I don't know what the equivalent is, but that's at least what you always arguing reminds me of.

No tin foil hat here. I was just asking a question about the lawsuit. 

On 6/5/2018 at 8:48 AM, J.T. said:

What in the world is Cláudia Gadelha vs. Carla Esparza doing on the prelim card? 

That is close to a fucking main event anyplace else.  I'm glad it's on free television but holy shit, matchmakers.

I love the history of it all

January 2013: Originally set to main event Invicta 4 before Gadelha breaks her nose in training
July 2013: Esparza pulls out of her title defense due to injury, Gadelha is the one to replace her at Invicta 6
December 2013: Finally set to main event Invicta 7 when Gadelha ends up hospitalized cutting weight and the fight is canceled.

2014 it looks like they'll both be on the Ultimate Fighter but Claudia ends up not on it in the end.
2016 they have their twitter war with Claudia accusing Carla of turning down fighting her.

Now here we are. 5 years in the making, looking forward to it for sure.

Was Claudia not on that season of TUF because making weight repeatedly in six weeks was tough for her or the language barrier? Because I remember watching an interview of her prior to a fight in Canada IIRC and it's not like she struggled through the interview. She had a very good grasp of English even then.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Was Claudia not on that season of TUF because making weight repeatedly in six weeks was tough for her or the language barrier? Because I remember watching an interview of her prior to a fight in Canada IIRC and it's not like she struggled through the interview. She had a very good grasp of English even then.

I always thought it was the weight issue. I think Carla also referenced that in their back and forths, saying she was too big for the division.

• Like 1

Anderson must be in the middle of her weight cut because she was ginormous at the open workouts last night. According to Brett Okamoto, she walks around at 175 and looked every bit of that based on her physique. 

Apparently, I missed some wild shit while I was away from the computer. 

But based on what I'm hearing, I'm not sure if weighing in early or late would have helped Romero or not. The commission started the early weigh in at some arbitrary time. Then Romero came in at 186 and allowed two hours to get down to 185. He is with a physician and gets down to 185.2 (in Montreal, that's a make!) before the commission intercedes to stop that particular cut due to medical concerns. So was that extra two hours contingent on how well Romero looks as the cut goes on? I mean you can just give him one hour and say that's all he gets. That makes way more sense than go as far you can go on another torturous cut until you're possibly on the verge of death before we step in.

Or you could just make the weight you agreed upon for the biggest fight of your entire life when you wrote on your contract 185.000 pounds and had 16 weeks to make the weight and didn't start cutting until Tuesday and stop making excuses.

Doesn't look like he was doing good after that weight cut.

14 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Or you could just make the weight you agreed upon for the biggest fight of your entire life when you wrote on your contract 185.000 pounds and had 16 weeks to make the weight

In a world where Dana is working to go back to afternoon weigh-ins and the fighters seem vehemently to be against go back to that, the commissions are about to play a larger part in this. California just had a big meeting concerning weight cutting the other day. That's California where they routinely have big MMA and boxing shows all the time. Illinois seems to not have good grip on this and when you're running random places like Boise and Lincoln that have even less notable experience with combat sports, you're asking for a lot of shit to go wrong even under the best possible conditions. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

In a world where Dana is working to go back to afternoon weigh-ins and the fighters seem vehemently to be against go back to that, the commissions are about to play a larger part in this. California just had a big meeting concerning weight cutting the other day. That's California where they routinely have big MMA and boxing shows all the time. Illinois seems to not have good grip on this and when you're running random places like Boise and Lincoln that have even less notable experience with combat sports, you're asking for a lot of shit to go wrong even under the best possible conditions. 

The fighters are the ones who are abusing the system and constantly missing weight. This is becoming a routine issue every event. Mackenzie Dern was basically a whole weight class off against Amanda Cooper. Darren Till didn't make weight and almost died cutting weight against Stephen Thompson. 

The only thing that went wrong here is Yoel Romero. He should've been ready on the first try. They gave him extra time, and he still couldn't hit the mark. The shit that went wrong is Yoel Romero. Cut him loose. It's called professionalism. 

Just now, TheVileOne said:

They gave him extra time

They gave him extra time when he probably shouldn't cut again ANYWAY in terms of health, took that time away while a physician was with him, and now letting the UFC decide whether he can fight even though he was in bad shape weighing in.

This is a week after New York pulled Jessica Aguilar cold from a card after what may or may not have been an unconfirmed herpes flare up. We're talking vastly different policies as it relates to fighter health and safety whether it's NYSAC, Illinois, or CABMMA.