DVDVR Message Board

UFC 225: Whittaker vs. Romero II (6/9/2018) - Chicago, IL (United Center)

Elsalvajeloco

Before I forget, I would add early Joanna Jedrzejczyk to the above list. Not so much recently where she was amped up and kinda way into herself than she should be. However, she was damn good when she first showed up in the UFC.

57 minutes ago, Craig H said:

No, Black Beast is the right answer. He's such a goldmine. It's almost like what if Earthquake (the comedian, folks) were a pro fighter.

I'm 99% sure Colby is the racist piece of shit he portrays himself to be.

I know Jordan Breen use to bring this up (and I disagree with Breen on a ton of stuff like this), but the concern is always that Derrick will always go over the line. The problem here is someone like McGregor goes way over the line and gets away with it. Granted, he is a mega draw so obviously more room. Some of the stuff Conor said on those first few tour stops of the Mayweather press tour was just way out of line. Derrick is wild and probably one day will say a little too much, but he clearly knows how to straddle the line and not step over. The last one where he brought up Jimmy Smith being with Bellator was hilarious because if this was WWE, he would get reprimanded so hard for dropping the name of a competing brand. However, it's Derrick Lewis so you expect him to say shit like that. I don't think Derrick knows about the taboo nature of breaking the fourth wall.

With Colby, it's obviously a ploy and maybe he does believe some of this shit. I mean we already had some hardcore right wing folks like Jacob Volkmann and Josh Thomson. However, it's understood that MMA brings on folks like that. I mean Rod Salka wore boxing trunks with a wall painted on it while fighting a Mexican fighter in Francisco Vargas. Vargas beat his ass accordingly, but that's boxing where the fanbase is more diverse and someone probably put Salka up to that. I mean I don't follow Rod Salka on Twitter since he's no one in terms of boxing so that probably is his stance. But to me it's like Joy Villa rocking a MAGA dress at the Grammy's as a black woman or Afro Latina or whatever she identifies with. You're a nobody who was probably apolitical and just crave attention and spotlight. I don't put much weight on the political stances of celebs and pseudo celebs. So I believe the same with Covington. He still annoys the shit out of me. Don't get me wrong. However, I understand it's in context of trying to attention whore so he isn't on the prelims fighting random welterweights like his career prior to the Maia fight.

• Like 1

the only offensive thing Colby said IMO is that Chicago-style deep dish pizza sucks.

the whole "local sports team sucks" thing is cheap heat 101 and he found that the pro-Trump supporting thing seems to be working, so whatever.

4 hours ago, DreamBroken said:

I loved Dominick Cruz in trash talk, during his last run especially. He and Bisping are two of my all time favs in general.

I would add in Khabib as well, but a lot of that could be attributed to the fact that Dillashaw (Faber was also bad in the leadup to Cruz-Faber 3) and Tony Ferguson respectively are really bad. So it's basically tee-ball.

9 hours ago, Hail Sabin said:

Cookie Monster's hands have got much, much better. 

I dunno how much of that was Esparza or the fact that Claudia shouldn't be a boxer. I think the best fit for Claudia would be in Arizona where she can be around Jair Lourenco. He is the one that got her into MMA, and he made both Nova Uniao and Nova Uniao Kimura very successful. Going from the middle of Pennsylvania to Jersey to ABQ and now to Vegas doesn't give her any consistency. Whereas Carla Esparza has been with Colin Oyama forever. Claudia with a better camp has a much better performance against Esparza.

9 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Dana White forgot how to book.  You throw Punk in there with someone who has zero training. He gets his win and then you can milk another fight or two out of it.  Come on. 

First off, Dana doesn't do any actual booking. Since this was at 170, it would be Sean Shelby. Plus, I doubt Dana knew who Mike Jackson was and probably didn't know who he was when he fought Gall a couple years ago. Also, that's not the UFC's MO to have below regional level MMA on TV or PPV. When they do have it, it's either on a Latin American card tucked away on the prelims or a Fight Pass card at like 3 am. Even Bellator has largely walked away from that even though they still do obvious mismatches. Bellator did one DADA 5000 fight and it was so bad even Scott Coker said they couldn't bring him back right after the card. This is the same Scott Coker who has justified a whole bunch of bush league MMA stuff to happen during his Bellator tenure and strained the credibility he gained from being an all around nice guy. You can't have super shit fights and expect fans to just eat it up and then come back for a second helping. This is a whole different era of MMA. Ten years ago when you have every money mark under the sun wanting to be a part of MMA? Yes. Now? Doesn't fly on the same level. Shit, Nick Newell who has 1 and 1/2 arms can beat Punk. The UFC is still super hesitant to let him in and just put him on the Contender Series to placate the fans that want him to get an opportunity. They don't want a replay of what happen when Newell fought Justin Gaethje. There is clear upside to Newell's story to the point where he probably gets good ratings for them based on freakshow factor (sorry to use that term) is concerned. However, based on the Gaethje fight, there is a clearly a limit to what a fighter can do with just one arm. Newell can fight and they don't want put him on their cards. The max number of fights Punk had was two at most and Punk has two functional arms. Everyone at the UFC knew what was up even when they signed him out of desperation almost four years ago. They weren't going to drag this out. Punk getting hurt a bunch made it last a bit longer, but they were under no false pretense they could disguise what was going to happen.