DVDVR Message Board

UFC 225: Whittaker vs. Romero II (6/9/2018) - Chicago, IL (United Center)

Elsalvajeloco

The policy in Illinois is that you are allowed to receive two hours extra time from the time you miss weight. I wasn't there, so I have no idea what the commission or physicians saw. But was told to weigh in again and still missed it. Also, that's just the story being put out by Romero's camp and his crooked managers, Abraham and Malki Kawa. I believe them about as much as a promise from a politician.

This fault is 100% completely on Yoel Romero and not Illinois. And if just cutting to 186 pounds is that bad for him, then he shouldn't be fighting at middleweight in the first place. 

2 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

The policy in Illinois is that you are allowed to receive two hours extra time from the time you miss weight.

...except he didn't get two hours. So that's not the policy. HENCE the need for uniformity across the commissions.

I wasn't there, so I have no idea what the commission or physicians saw. 

Ah..clearly.

2 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

...except he didn't get two hours. So that's not the policy. HENCE the need for uniformity across the commissions.

Ah..clearly.

Maybe this is why they stopped allowing him to cut weight. 

It is the policy according to Ariel Helwani. 

10 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:
It is the policy according to Ariel Helwani. 

Except they didn't follow their own "policy". I don't care who they told it was their policy. They also gave Ariel no reason as to why they started their weigh-ins at 8:40 a.m. local time. So there is also that.

You also have the fact the commission was going to allow the fight even if Romero (who wasn't on the blue corner bus to the ceremonial weigh-ins) didn't make it to the ceremonial weigh-ins (he did in fact make it in time as they just did the staredown on FS2). Between amending their "policy" on the fly and then just delegating whatever responsibilities to the UFC, Illinois is just happy to get that revenue from a big UFC show. Fuck doing what a commission has to make the sport safer.

2 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Except they didn't follow their own "policy". I don't care who they told it was their policy. They also gave Ariel no reason as to why they started their weigh-ins at 8:40 a.m. local time. So there is also that.

You also have the fact the commission was going to allow the fight even if Romero (who wasn't on the blue corner bus to the ceremonial weigh-ins) didn't make it to the ceremonial weigh-ins (he did in fact make it in time as they just did the staredown on FS2). Between amending their "policy" on the fly and then just delegating whatever responsibilities to the UFC, Illinois is just happy to get that revenue from a big UFC show. Fuck doing what a commission has to make the sport safer.

None of these reasons are good excuses for Yoel Romero's complete and utter lack of professionalism. 

2 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

None of these reasons are good excuses for Yoel Romero's complete and utter lack of professionalism. 

If you don't follow your own policies, I believe that's a bigger example of lack of professionalism. But seeing as you're the consensus dimwit of this subforum, I know you get that one. 

The commission's role in all of this is definitely... murky, but Romero shouldn't have gotten the shot in the first place as he missed weight in the number one contenders fight that lead to this one (him being stripped of the right to hold a fake belt in the lead up is not actually a penalty). In my mind this is the best possible outcome and a headache UFC truly earned and deserved. 

• Thanks 1

It is 10:43 p.m. central time and there is still no official confirmation whether Yoel will be assessed a purse fine or if the UFC will just do what they did at 223 and allow it to be a title fight regardless of the chicanery that went down.

9 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

It's going to be a non-title affair. 

At the ceremonial weigh in, Rogan didn't say Yoel missed weight and called him the challenger and then called Whittaker the reigning and defending champion. 

I had it 29-28 Sergio Pettis. Benavidez landed more strikes in the second and third rounds, but Pettis was much sharper and more effective.

The biggest thing here is Sergio's TD defense is vastly better.

On 6/8/2018 at 5:41 PM, TheVileOne said:

Okay, enough is enough with demonizing fighters for not making weight in a broken system. The whole weigh-in procedure needs to be revamped before we have someone turn themself into a vegetable by dangerous cutting. It really isn't a lack of professionalism by the fighters, it's a broken and dangerous system. If I don't get to see light-heavyweights try to fight as welter-weights, I can live with that pretty easily.

• Like 3

How they move backwards instead of forwards to something like ONE's hydration testing is beyond me but it's Dana White so not that surprising.

Bektic is a heckuva athlete. His standup is coming along but he really excels at using his size and wrestling technique to dominate.