DVDVR Message Board

The Official Great Muta Thread

KidKash202

We had one on the old board but of course it is gone now.

Currently watching:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBqrnbinSUI

and Muta is messing with this baby at ringside. It is funny. He has been on the outside of the ring two times and both times he made the little boy cry. Hope he does it again.

Was it hard for anyone else to get into Muta once he put that mask on? I don't know if it is because my childhood connects to original Muta but I am just now getting into "new" Muta. Am I alone here?

I love the crazy masks Muta started wearing. Remember a couple of years ago, when that picture of 'Taker with the short hair started circulating, months before he came back for the HHH rematch? I was hoping he'd steal the idea of wearing scary-ass masks in the ring to cover up the haircut. Instead he just came back with that terrible fauxhawk. Wasted opportunity, man.

• 3 months later...

I've been watching some Muta matches under his Kokushi-Muso gimmick. Why didn't it last longer than just a few matches? His team with Hakushi was decent and then he teamed with Low Ki in Zero one under the same name. How did the gimmick start?

• 6 months later...

Jim Ross spoke about how Muta was used.

Reading recently about the Great Muta, it reminded me of the time when I was on the WCW Booking Asylum, Er, Committee and I suggested that the handsome, young and talented Kenji Muta might make a great protagonist at some point in his WCW run. The look on the faces of many of my peers reminded me of what it must have been like when it was suggested to Caucasian wrestling territory owners that African American wrestlers be put into positions of prominence in the territory. I was passionately reminded that American wrestling fans would NEVER support a Japanese protagonist thanks to December 7, 1941 and the attack on Pearl Harbor. Forget that moment occurred almost half a century before as the idea wasn't embraced and never fully materialized. I just know that Muta was a star and without the face paint back in the late 80's the ladies in the CNN Center in Atlanta loved the guy.

https://www.jrsbarbq.com/blog/one-drunk-fan-spirit-squad-eddy-dvd-muta-hero-stone-colds-cross-country-road-trip

Is this only for THEMONSTERMUTA, or does plain ol' Keiji Mutoh get to play too?

Assuming it's the former, here's some matches. NONE of them are Muta's best shit ever. But they all entertained me quite a bit.

Whoa, THIS happened?! I had no idea, just stumbled across it while looking for other matches. But might as well include it, Muta vs Murdoch~!

Great Muta versus Madman Pondo and the Necro Butcher. (While tagging with Nosawa, of all damn people.) YES THIS REALLY HAPPENED. Only in Juggalo Championshit Wrestling, I suppose.

Muta vs Eddie Gilbert, because that sounds pretty cool. It's no-DQ, too. And it made me damn near do a legit spit take when the match opens with

Muta suddenly grabbing Eddie's random blonde valet, Misting the living SHIT out of her at point-blank range... and she sells it better than many wrestlers ever did! She shrieks in agony, bumps off the apron, and then keeps screaming like her face was being melted by fucking acid, pleading for Eddie to come help take her blinded ass back to the dressing room (although of course he's too busy doing his manly duty of turning Muta's skull into a speed-bag). WHO WAS THAT GIRL?

Muta versus El Gigante in NJPW, because God hates wrestling. Probably the best match of Gonzalez's life, though of course that ain't saying much. Still, at least Muta finds a hilarious way to successfully Mist the tallest wrestler ever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHskYUb7Xbg

Muta teaming with Hulk Hogan against the Hellraisers, because... I have no idea why, IT'S JAPAN, let's just roll with it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8RTal8Cw1g

• Like 1

Muta vs Eddie Gilbert, because that sounds pretty cool. It's no-DQ, too. And it made me damn near do a legit spit take when the match opens with

Muta suddenly grabbing Eddie's random blonde valet, Misting the living SHIT out of her at point-blank range... and she sells it better than many wrestlers ever did! She shrieks in agony, bumps off the apron, and then keeps screaming like her face was being melted by fucking acid, pleading for Eddie to come help take her blinded ass back to the dressing room (although of course he's too busy doing his manly duty of turning Muta's skull into a speed-bag). WHO WAS THAT GIRL?

That is the one and only Missy Hyatt. 

Also, that was one of the last matches of El Gigante's career.  Since apparently I have never posted in this thread, I get to take the chance to pimp my website.  I have reviewed most of these matches and many many more (187 at the last count), you can check it out at www.KeijiMutohCentral.com :)

• Like 1

That is the one and only Missy Hyatt.

Oh geez, don't I feel stupid now, how'd I not recognize Missy? And now for my sins I can't stop mentally trying to come up with an AWFUL joke about Missy getting toxic bodily fluids sprayed in her face. But she deserves no mockery at all, she sold the hell outta that spot.

• 5 years later...

I love Muta, Gary Capetta, Jim Ross and Missy. They were just great. Even though there are no NWA Champions or anything in that list, you can’t talk about the old NWA without talking about them. They were each part of the glue that held it together.

Missy was always working out there, not just standing there, and she was good at it. I want to say there was a hilarious skit on ECW TV that climaxed (no pun intended) with the kind of joke @Jingus is talking about. I can’t find it on YouTube but it involved Tajiri complete with his hilarious facial expressions lol!

Jim Cornette said they actually considered turning Muta face for a second after the reaction he got at Clash 10. That wasn’t all Muta though, as that reaction was for everybody against the Horsemen after what they did to Sting similar to what Dick Murdoch did to Ted Dibiase. BUT...Muta definitely had his fans and I was 1 of them! The first time I saw him was on TV in a squash and he did a spinning karate kick and the mist. I got VERY UPSET when he went on to wrestle Sting lol!