DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2018 TV THREAD

RIPPA

The Last Drive-In with Joe Bob Briggs is 13 movies starting on Friday the 13th, available only to Shudder subscribers on Shudder's live feed. The marathon has all the classic Joe Bob elements--the trailer house set, a new Mail Girl, digressions, rants, offbeat celebrity interviews, the Drive-In Totals, and interruptions to talk about the movie. (We have commercial breaks on a network that has no commercials. Possibly a television first.) Use promo code JOEBOB for a free 7 day trial!

• Like 2

L.A.’s Finest, the Bad Boys television spinoff starring Gabrielle Union and Jessica Alba has been given a 13-episode straight-to-series order by Charter Communications and will premiere exclusively on their Spectrum network. The series helms from Sony Pictures TV, Jerry Bruckheimer Television, and 2.0 Entertainment.

L.A.’s Finest follows Syd Burnett (Union), last seen in Miami taking down a drug cartel, who has left her complicated past behind to become an LAPD detective. Paired with a new partner, Nancy McKenna (Alba), a working mom with an equally complex past, Syd is pushed to examine whether her unapologetic lifestyle might be masking a greater personal secret. These two women don’t agree on much, but they find common ground when it comes to taking on the most dangerous criminals in Los Angeles in this character-driven drama.

9 hours ago, odessasteps said:

The Last Drive-In with Joe Bob Briggs is 13 movies starting on Friday the 13th, available only to Shudder subscribers on Shudder's live feed. The marathon has all the classic Joe Bob elements--the trailer house set, a new Mail Girl, digressions, rants, offbeat celebrity interviews, the Drive-In Totals, and interruptions to talk about the movie. (We have commercial breaks on a network that has no commercials. Possibly a television first.) Use promo code JOEBOB for a free 7 day trial!

You have earned a week free of ridicule from me for providing this valuable information.

Wellington Paranormal

Only New Zealand right now. US rights still up for grabs

If you watch the trailer you see why it is here and not Horror

So did anyone end up watching the new Arrested Development? 

I probably should have done a rewatch because it felt impenetrable. Which was always a liability, but more so here with five years between seasons.  It also had a hatefulness and meanness to it, that I don't remember on the original run. 

I hear more about the filming and it makes sense. 

• Like 1

Alia Shawkat was awesome. On the whole, I enjoyed it more than the fourth season. But the plot and details were definitely difficult to keep up with at times since it’s  been so long since I watched the entire fourth season. 

It definitely feels like the show’s moment has passed. 

As for the filming, it sounds like Mitch pulled a David Milch and was giving people pages hot off the printer at the last moment. Yikes. 

Speaking of things having their moment, anyone watch the Hannah Gadsby special? Harrowing stuff. And the jokes were good too. 

• Like 1

If y'all are watching "Queer Eye" season 2, in episode 7, a wonderful lady named Lulu nominates her Godson. That lady taught a DUI class that saved my life. She is incredible and I'm glad good things are happening for her family...

• Like 3

I finished Arrested Development Season 3 and it was a mess. It had some really funny stuff, but a lot of misses. I thought the whole Mr.F deal was not funny and borderline offensive. Which I don't mind offensive comedy, but I do expect results. 

A lot of it felt like a show that was drowning. It seemed like a decent ending point, not begging for a revival. 

But I headed into the season 4 remix and I think it is pretty good. Much better than season 3. Right now the characters still have some heart. What I do find is, the longer the show goes the more Michael becomes a raging asshole. The stuff I enjoy most are when Michael and George Michael interact as real people. To me it helps the comedy. 

Which is why I wish Maeby would try outright talking to her parents. Also shouldn't she be loaded from her studio job? 

My hope is season 5 goes down better with context. 

Why is Portia De Rossi missing? To put it nicely, she does not seem very busy. 

12 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

She’s retiring from acting. She probably didn’t want to commit to too much filming. 

I was doing a google search for her and saw an article with her denying she was divorcing Ellen. The most shocking take away I got was Ellen is sixty. That made me feel very old. 

• Like 1

Thanks to falling down the YouTube rabbit hole, I found the Hooterville Trilogy special, the Thanksgiving episode of the Beverly Hillbillies guest starring the casts of green acres and petticoat junction.

• RIPPA unpinned this topic