DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2018 TV THREAD

RIPPA

In case anybody feels like binging the first season of True Detective on the cheap, I surprisingly found it at a local Redbox for a buck and change, or two nights for three. I got the two, promptly watched the first episode and failed to get through the rest like an idiot. Ah well, there's always Youtube

I am currently going through the fifth season of Arrested Development. Some folks in the May thread did not seem to be big fans of this, however, apart from the clip-show first episode, so far (4 episodes in) this is a huge improvement over season 4. Maeby's schemes ingenious and Tobias for once is actually funny instead of annoying. It's also a good thing that Tony Hale is not much in this so far as the they went so far with the Buster character that he seems to be beyond repair.

The first six episodes of the final Kimmy Schmidt season are on Netflix, the first episode is ok but after that it's great. The "Party Monster" episode was amazing, one of the funniest 30 minutes of tv I've seen in awhile.

Also, Amazon Prime has every season of "CHiPs" in HD!

I definitely can't come up with 13 reasons why that show needs a third season.  I liked the first season, but the premise really should have been a one & done.  Season 2 stretched the idea of the show in directions it really wasn't intended to go.

On 6/6/2018 at 7:41 AM, happjack said:

The first six episodes of the final Kimmy Schmidt season are on Netflix, the first episode is ok but after that it's great. The "Party Monster" episode was amazing, one of the funniest 30 minutes of tv I've seen in awhile. 

That's pretty much how I feel too. I watched the bad first episode and thought "that's too bad, I guess I'm done with this show." I'm glad they wrapped up the sexual harassment stuff pretty quickly, Kimmy deals with nerds would have been a bad choice for a season arc.

I think Parks and Rec probably did the MRA stuff better, but Kimmy definitely has more material to work with, considering everything that's happened in the couple years since PnR went off the air. I don't know if they were thinking specifically about the incel movement when they created Fran Dodd, but that's exactly what he is.

Using Jon Hamm's actual dating show footage was amazing.

9 hours ago, Matt D said:

James McAvoy is going to be Lord Asriel in BBC's His Dark Materials mini-series. That's fairly fun casting.

Hopefully this shows up on BBC America soon.  Those guys always seem to manage to have at least one must watch show in their lineup.

The final (hopefully not) Parts Unknown was fittingly a desert island episode (as in not set on a desert island, but I would take it with me to a desert island). Tony was never much of a German fanboy, but this one hit all the marks -- history, politics, sociology, art, film, music, high end food, low end food. The pause he had when the guy from Brian Jonestown said he liked being anonymous then responded he'd like that as well said megatons. At least to me. Obviously you can read into these things. In any case it's a perfect episode, and I just want every last scrap of footage to air if they've got anything else. 

The memorial show was very well done, tastefully didn't have any commercials, and revealed his method of suicide (hanging) which I didn't know about -- yet watching the marathon on the Travel Channel today he of course in one episode made a crack about hanging himself from the nearest beam.

We'll miss you, brother. 

Just finished watching season 1 of "Riviera".  I've mentioned before I have an irrational love of Julia Stiles but even she can't carry this mess.  "Riviera" tells the story of a wife whose billionaire husband is killed in a yacht explosion.  She investigates his death, nefarious dealings are uncovered, and stuff happens.  The show is loaded with irrelevant characters, scenes that mean nothing, confusing storylines, and is just a complete disaster.  It's really, really high budget and looks great but that's it.  Definitely one to avoid.

I blasted through a show called The Sinners on Netflix over the weekend which had completely passed me by. It was okay I guess, but I couldn't shake the feeling that it started life as a film script that got stretched into an eight episode TV show. 

10 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

The final (hopefully not) Parts Unknown was fittingly a desert island episode (as in not set on a desert island, but I would take it with me to a desert island). Tony was never much of a German fanboy, but this one hit all the marks -- history, politics, sociology, art, film, music, high end food, low end food. The pause he had when the guy from Brian Jonestown said he liked being anonymous then responded he'd like that as well said megatons. At least to me. Obviously you can read into these things. In any case it's a perfect episode, and I just want every last scrap of footage to air if they've got anything else. 

The memorial show was very well done, tastefully didn't have any commercials, and revealed his method of suicide (hanging) which I didn't know about -- yet watching the marathon on the Travel Channel today he of course in one episode made a crack about hanging himself from the nearest beam.

We'll miss you, brother. 

Over the last few days I keep hearing people talk about Tony Bourdain in a way that I just didn't get.  First and foremost I was a pretty big fan of him and his work, and he was pretty much living my dream.  The thing that is starting to bother me are the people who seem to have not seen the obvious pain and torment that I thought was the key to his work.  I heard someone say how they couldn't believe he committed suicide because he seemed so happy, but that is not how I would ever describe him or his work.  I always felt the key to his charm was that he was a baseline miserable person, and travelling, eating, and meeting people from different cultures was the only thing that broke through that misery.  Am I crazy?  I don't know if people just refuse to acknowledge other people's pain, or just don't notice, but I thought it was pretty obvious that he was a guy who legitimately had to go to the ends of the earth to find happiness.  I'm just happy he invited us on his journey, because he was always funny, empathetic, and kind to everyone he encountered.  His, obvious to me at least, pain and misery was never an excuse to treat people poorly.  He approached all of the different people and cultures that he encountered with an open mind and the utmost respect and that is incredibly rare.  He's was a rare celebrity, and he will be missed.  I hope he's found peace.

• Like 6

Not to get all this moved to the other thread, but I think there are a couple reasons. 

1. People that don't suffer from depression do not understand it completely

2. He had a dream job and a gorgeous, smart, talented girlfriend so what's there to be miserable about? (Note: In their minds, not his)

3. People are dumb

• Like 1

This could fall under TV or Movie but I will just mention it here

When NBCUniversal got the rights to all the Harry Potter movies (so that they would appear on HBO)

Which meant no more 3184259225 showings on Freeform.

Well based on the commercials I started seeing over the last week (and I am sure they have been airing for awhile) USA and SYFY will now be showing the Harry Potter movies 285520638952265 times

They've been bombarding viewers with that Harry Potter commercial.  It's especially bad if you watch USA or SyFy on Demand.  

I've been watching a lot of Futurama reruns lately.  Sometimes, they insert the Potter ad into every commercial break.