DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2018 TV THREAD

RIPPA

Hulu passed on the Locke & Key pilot

Netflix immediately grabbed it and gave it a series order.

The show will be recast because Andy Muschietti (who directed the Hulu pilot) can't do it anymore due to needing to direct the IT sequel

Watched all 6 episodes of the Picnic at Hanging Rock mini-series the other day because the lady is into just about any period piece and I'm into anything with Natalie Dormer prominently featured. 

There are definitely worse ways to spend a night. 

24 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

I know nobody here is watching, but The Americans had a pitch perfect series finale this week. Two days later and I still can't stop thinking about it. I'm sure you'll all enjoy it when you watch it in a couple years. 

I thought it was great.  The only thing that bothered me is

Spoiler

Is Renee a spy or not?  I know Peter was doing the "right" thing by telling Stan they thought she might be, but that had to be even more soul crushing than finding out your best friend for all these years and his wife were both spies and were right there under your nose.  I get why they didn't tell us, but that's something I've waited a couple of years to find out so it sucks not to know one way or the other.

Just now, gatling said:

I thought it was great.  The only thing that bothered me is

Hide contents

Is Renee a spy or not?  I know Peter was doing the "right" thing by telling Stan they thought she might be, but that had to be even more soul crushing than finding out your best friend for all these years and his wife were both spies and were right there under your nose.  I get why they didn't tell us, but that's something I've waited a couple of years to find out so it sucks not to know one way or the other.

I actually loved how they handled that. 

Spoiler

The show's always been about the relationships first, and spycraft was secondary a lot of time and often used in service of the relationships (The way this season in particular used the macro geopolitical stuff to tell a micro story about this marriage and this family was masterful). So Stan having to go on living with his paranoia and this poison pill/ticking time bomb in his marriage feels more true to the series than an explicit spycraft answer. 

I actually didn't expect Renee to be addressed at all in the finale given how underserviced she'd been previously. But similar to Henry (secret ladies man and guy who's got his shit together) in previous seasons, the show managed to find a graceful solution that retroactively made me appreciate the writing even more. 

But yeah, I understand wanting to know. Apparently Laurie Holden asked the writers many times which way they wanted her to play Renee and if she was meant to tip her hand in any particular direction. They never even gave her an explicit answer about Renee's loyalties. 

4 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

I actually loved how they handled that. 

Hide contents

The show's always been about the relationships first, and spycraft was secondary a lot of time and often used in service of the relationships (The way this season in particular used the macro geopolitical stuff to tell a micro story about this marriage and this family was masterful). So Stan having to go on living with his paranoia and this poison pill/ticking time bomb in his marriage feels more true to the series than an explicit spycraft answer. 

I actually didn't expect Renee to be addressed at all in the finale given how underserviced she'd been previously. But similar to Henry (secret ladies man and guy who's got his shit together) in previous seasons, the show managed to find a graceful solution that retroactively made me appreciate the writing even more. 

But yeah, I understand wanting to know. Apparently Laurie Holden asked the writers many times which way they wanted her to play Renee and if she was meant to tip her hand in any particular direction. They never even gave her an explicit answer about Renee's loyalties. 

Oh it definitely fit the tone/feel of the show, I can't argue that.

Spoiler

And the way Renee was used so sparingly it's not surprising they didn't reveal it one way or the other.  I had just hoped when they added her to the cast we'd eventually get another layer to the espionage side of things, especially once Philip(why the hell did I call him Peter earlier?) decided he was done.  I half expected  her to end up with the task of killing the diplomat after Elizabeth refused, and then Elizabeth having to make a decision on whether to kill her or not.

5 minutes ago, gatling said:

Oh it definitely fit the tone/feel of the show, I can't argue that.

Hide contents

And the way Renee was used so sparingly it's not surprising they didn't reveal it one way or the other.  I had just hoped when they added her to the cast we'd eventually get another layer to the espionage side of things, especially once Philip(why the hell did I call him Peter earlier?) decided he was done.  I half expected  her to end up with the task of killing the diplomat after Elizabeth refused, and then Elizabeth having to make a decision on whether to kill her or not.

Spoiler

Funny you should say that. One TV critic I follow said his wife thought that actually was Renee when they first showed the backup assassin from across the street. 

So you're far not alone in being in that frame of mind. 

Also, LOL at Peter Jennings. 

8 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:
  Hide contents

Funny you should say that. One TV critic I follow said his wife thought that actually was Renee when they first showed the backup assassin from across the street. 

So you're far not alone in being in that frame of mind. 

Spoiler

I read an article yesterday that quoted Laurie Holden as saying she knows whether Renee was a spy or not, but she won't say.  She did say that if you go back and rewatch things, "they will be able to find clues which will better inform them as to who she really was"  I may have to go back and watch everything from the time she was added until the end I guess.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

I know nobody here is watching, but The Americans had a pitch perfect series finale this week. Two days later and I still can't stop thinking about it. I'm sure you'll all enjoy it when you watch it in a couple years. 

I take it the series as a whole is worth checking out?  When it originally started up I watched the first few episodes but wasn't inclined to stick with it.

@HumanChessgame I feel the whole series is pretty consistent in terms of pace and tone. So while I feel the whole series is worth checking out, what you saw was probably not unrepresentative of the show as a whole. 

Though it's been a couple years since I saw those early episodes, so take my words with a grain of salt.

Just now, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

@HumanChessgame I feel the whole series is pretty consistent in terms of pace and tone. So while I feel the whole series is worth checking out, what you saw was probably not unrepresentative of the show as a whole. 

Cool, I don't mind a slow burn as long as it goes somewhere interesting (see Better Call Saul).  Since I've got monthly QA reviews to do at work this weekend this should give me something to help pass the time.

I was debating whether or not to watch it, because I'm having a hard time imagining how they could maintain the primary conceit of the film (which is a big reason why the film is as good as it is). But, it's only 6 episodes, so I suppose I could be wrong about that.

Being as long as it is, I can see them managing to stretch it out without changing anything... hopefully. Let us know, or CSC, if you've seen both?

Speaking of Peter Weir, for god's sake go watch The Last Wave immediately, and pray that nobody tries to get their hands on that one

18 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

In other news about FX shows that I feel like I'm the only person watching, Legion has been renewed for a third season. 

I love FX so, so much. 

I watch it, but this season has been much weirder than season one. The stuff with mr basket head and his android mustached women seemed to drag on forever, with little point, but thats just me.

Paramount Network has decided it will never air the Heathers reboot and it now looking to sell the property to another Network.

They said they "were not comfortable with it" (meaning the show)

Why they needed additional school shootings to know that is beyond me

On 6/1/2018 at 4:21 PM, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

In other news about FX shows that I feel like I'm the only person watching, Legion has been renewed for a third season. 

I love FX so, so much. 

I'm still watching and enjoying it.  That said this season doesn't feel as well put together as the first season. I actually don't think its too much weirder outside of the baskethead and his mustache droids.

7 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Paramount Network has decided it will never air the Heathers reboot and it now looking to sell the property to another Network.

They said they "were not comfortable with it" (meaning the show)

Why they needed additional school shootings to know that is beyond me

"We are uncomfortable airing this, but not selling it."

• Like 3

I thought the finale for The Americans was a little underwhelming.  Not bad per se but not quite what I was hoping for.  I'm not gonna try to do spoilers since I can't seem to get them right (wtf) so I'll just leave it at that.  Definitely one of my favorite shows of all-time.  I'll miss getting to watch Keri Russell looking hot and killing people.

• Like 2

On 6/2/2018 at 1:56 PM, Eivion said:

I'm still watching and enjoying it.  That said this season doesn't feel as well put together as the second season. I actually don't think its too much weirder outside of the baskethead and his mustache droids.

I guess weirder isn't the word, but stagnant is probably better, like the weirdness is more for its own sake and not for moving the plot forward.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kuetsar said:

I guess weirder isn't the word, but stagnant is probably better, like the weirdness is more for its own sake and not for moving the plot forward.

That is probably a better description. I still like it. I just wish there was more behind it.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Tabe said:

I thought the finale for The Americans was a little underwhelming.  Not bad per se but not quite what I was hoping for.  I'm not gonna try to do spoilers since I can't seem to get them right (wtf) so I'll just leave it at that.  Definitely one of my favorite shows of all-time.  I'll miss getting to watch Keri Russell looking hot and killing people.

... Kerri Russell killed people?  LOl, I kinda remember the first thing and not real sure what she did beyond that.

I thought the finale was really well done.  Americans was never one of my favorites.  I tended to watch part of a season, drift away, maybe marathon the rest of the season later, maybe not, give the next season a try, etc.  I'm probably going to have to go back and marathon the entire show at some point.