DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2018 MOVIE THREAD

RIPPA

3 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

After learning they only wrapped production on Superfly like three months ago in addition to that Tyler Perry film Acrimony shooting in eight or nine days (Taraji did all her stuff in 5 IIRC), it very much feels like black cinema is going back to cutting corners at all costs.

If you're going to turn a profit, you have to minimize overhead costs somehow.  Unfortunately, micro shooting schedules lashed unreasonably tight are probably going to be the norm.

Upgrade was super fun.

Bad acting, questionable plot, but fuck me was there a lot of shit happening on the screen at once that just gets you invested. Rare film where the futuristic aesthetic is done well and uses its imagination rather than "here's some generic CGI". 

Super obscure casting, flicking through the IMDB and realizing what obscure Australian miniseries they'd pretty much all been in was pretty cool. It felt like what might have been had Kubrick directed Highlander. 

7/10 not so much for its artistic merits, but it was a goddamn fun night out.

On 6/14/2018 at 8:28 AM, RolandTHTG said:

Wasn't a fan of Oceans 8 at all. Once they established that the real main characters are unavailable, it's difficult not to look at it as some Grease 2-esque "George Clooney rejected this, so we'll give it to someone else" idea. Too many zany characters make it difficult to suspend disbelief. Cate Blanchett's accent is fucking dire. The last third of it before James Corden turns up is pretty good. From there, just disappointing that the bear from the Revenant isn't mauling him. 

Just saw this a few hours ago. I think Cate was a victim of bad editing because the first scene varies between generic American accent and uh ...Australian? Then at some point she just drops the former. At least Helena Bonham Carter was committed to one she was doing.

Outside of Woah Vicky, the catch me outside chick, the little asian girl who got her realtor mom fired because she was flexing w/ other people's shit , I can't think of any culture vulture I would like launched into the sun more than Awkafina or however the fuck her name is spelled.

The comedy failed flat 90% of the time. Also, it felt a little voyeuristic watching Rihanna stare blankly at a computer screen for a good portion if not all of her screentime. I dare they make me sit through this entire film just to see her be in a revealing dress in slow motion. 

This movie just went on forever with no drama at all. The high points for me were Anne Hathaway (and Helena Bonham Carter) being totally invested in this film for no reason and Rihanna's ample cleavage.

Hotel Artemis, which I saw before the above trainwreck, was better but the plot was super thin and I didn't care for the son thing. Very little of it made sense to be honest. Big Dave was great though.

Upgrade was pretty good, and I have no real complaints about it. Peaked at the right time and didn't overstay its welcome.

I am going to try to endure Tag on Wednesday before getting to Hereditary, The Incredibles 2, and Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I am going to try to endure Tag on Wednesday before getting to Hereditary, The Incredibles 2, and Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom.

Contrary to the reviews and if you are a fairly solid horror maven, Hereditary will probably not be the scariest movie you have ever seen.

However, it's really good and rather unsettling.  You will think your own dysfunctional family is the fucking Brady Bunch after watching this movie.

Jurassic World could quite possibly be the worst film I ever did see.

Felt like one of those Disney straight to video films, or something starring Hulk Hogan. Certainly not $170 mill budget.

Hayden Christensen level dialogue. Completely nonsensical evil bad guy plan. Lots and lots and lots of explosions. Never really paid attention to movie scores before, but this felt like a fourteen year old with a soundboard playing famous movie themes.

If you're going to see this because Jeff Goldblum. Don't. In it for five minutes.

Negative stars.

AMC Theatres has announced that beginning Tuesday, June 26 the Company is adding a new tier to its AMC Stubs rewards program with AMC Stubs A-List, which rewards guests with up to three movies per week, along with all the benefits of AMC Stubs Premiere, all for just $19.95 (plus tax) per month. Through AMC Stubs A-List, members can enjoy any available showtime*, any AMC location, any format — including IMAX at AMC, Dolby Cinema at AMC, RealD 3D, Prime at AMC and BigD. AMC Stubs A-List can be used at the spur of the moment or also can make planning ahead days or weeks in advance possible, as securing tickets is made easy via reservations capabilities on the AMCTheatres.com web site, or on the AMC Theatres smartphone app.
AMC Stubs A-List joins AMC Stubs Insider and AMC Stubs Premiere in AMC’s fast-growing AMC Stubs loyalty program. In addition to seeing up to three movies per week, AMC Stubs A-List members also enjoy all the benefits of AMC Stubs Premiere, including free upgrades on popcorn and soda, free refills on large popcorn, express service at the box office and concession stand, no online ticketing fees and 100 points for every $1 spent for the AMC Stubs A-List monthly fee and food and beverage spending at AMC theatres. AMC Stubs Premiere members receive a $5 reward for every 5,000 points earned, which translates to a 10% credit toward future AMC purchases.

“We believe that our current and future loyal guests will be interested in this type of program, as AMC Stubs A-List rewards guests with something that no one else offers: the very best of AMC, including IMAX, Dolby Cinema and RealD 3D up to 3 times per week, for one simple, sustainable price,” said Adam Aron, CEO and President, AMC Theatres.

Aron added, “Since its inception in 2011, AMC Stubs has continued to evolve to meet the needs of its customers, as it did in 2016 when we introduced the free tier, AMC Stubs Insider. AMC Stubs A-List is AMC’s next evolution of delivering amazing benefits to our loyal customers, and we’re excited to continue to grow the program by leaps and bounds.”

Starting on Tuesday, June 26, AMC Stubs A-List members can enroll online for $19.95 a month (plus tax) and can begin using their benefits immediately.

Timed for traditional new movie openings, each and every “week” starting from Friday through the following Thursday, AMC Stubs A-List members can see up to three movies at any U.S. AMC location through their A-List membership, however there is no carryover from week to week, if fewer than 3 movies are seen. They can even see all three movies on the same day, with a two-hour buffer in between each showtime. And they can see individual movies they have previously seen. Guests can get their ticket online, and in advance, allowing them to reserve that opening night seat for the summer’s hottest blockbuster. Advance reservations can be held for a maximum of 3 movies at any one time in the current or for future weeks.

More information about AMC Stubs A-List can be found at amcstubs.com/alist. To find showtimes and purchase tickets to this weekend’s movies, please visit www.amctheatres.com or the AMC Theatres app. Come in, sign up for AMC Stubs Insider or AMC Stubs Premiere, grab your popcorn, and enjoy the show!

*Fathom Events shows, special fan events and some Indian Cinema titles may not be included

I love how they're still making me pay full price for Fathom Events.  Wankers.  Why am I still paying the premium price if I am getting to the theater at eleven in the morning to see my Resident Evil CGI classic?

There's no way they'd offer discounts on the Bollywood stuff.  The Indian peeps fucking flood the theater in Hanover, MD every Sunday afternoon without fail and they're not paying matinee prices to see those movies.  If that is the case everywhere else, then offering discounts is leaving cash on the table.

Just watched The Death of Stalin, and though I hated the trailer, it surprised me immensely. I guess the gallows humor just seemed sour in the trailer -- this one is amazing. The balance is finer than any wire and it pulls it off. Then you've got Jeffery Tambor doing his best work there and still feel kinda dirty... and you know what? It fits. If any film makes sense having a morally reprehensible person as a major part of the cast, it's this. 

EDIT: Forgot to mention that Paramount effectively Stalinized (heh) Tambor from the special features, where literally every other cast member spoke about the film. Fitting. 

Saw Tag Friday night.  Mixed bag.  Love the concept and the connection to my city (Spokane) is great.  But...

Tag tells the story of a group of friends from Spokane who play a lifelong game of ... Tag ... as a way of remaining connected to each other.  One month a year it's open season and they fly all over the place to "tag" each other.

The movie is inspired by a true story but plays really loosely with the real story to build a movie around a similar concept that uses some of the real events as opposed to telling something resembling the real story.  It had plenty of funny moments but also plenty of ridiculous scenes and stuff that just sucked (the scenes with the Verizon pitchman are just painful to watch).  In all honesty, the funniest parts for me were the 90 seconds of home movies from the real guys and seeing the real versions of some of the bits from the movie.  These were really, really great.

Also, thumbs down for not actually filming anything in Spokane.  C'mon.  Yeah, nobody outside of my city will care but it bugged me.

Anyway...probably a 5 or 6/10.  Netflix it.

American Animals was very good. In the first five minutes I was kind of thinking "Get me out of here," but it turns out they lay the style on real thick at the start just so they can strip it all away when they get serious in the second half.  Works very well.

Browsing through IMDB now and realizing where I've seen some of the kids before... Everybody Wants Some, Killing of a Sacred Deer, and Hello Destroyer.

Saw Incredibles 2 today. Thought it was okay but prob not as good as the first one. Felt less Rand-y this time, but need to totally unpack all the motivations of the Catherine Keener character and all of the meta stuff. 

Meh. If that's Rand-y, then is Kill Bill? I mean, that's got an overt "Superman stares down his fucking nose at wimpy humans" conspiracy theory in it, along with the internal dilemma of being who you are versus repressing it. Wonder what Tarantino would make of that framing. 

Fwiw, Bird disagreed with the objectivist reading of the first movie. I was reading an article about it but could only get as far as someone from the Rand Institute disagreeing from the perspective that the insurance company Bob works for is portrayed as evil and Rand saw businesses as inherently heroic enterprises. Then I felt like sticking my head in a ceiling fan so I tapped out. 

Without going all cultural criticism, I'm in the camp that thinks you can analyze a text independent of authorial intent. 

But we know Bird thinks about critics, thanks to Ratatouille.  :)

---

Should not be taken as disliking Bird. I love Iron Giant and think Incredibles might be the best Original Era Pixar movie. 

30 minutes ago, Contentious C said:

This article is one I just read; probably a bit more even-handed and ceiling-fan-free. I also dug the comment about Adam Corolla's "less-than-essential" book.

Unlike the usual "discussions" on such articles, this one turns out to have a relatively thoughtful and lighthearted comment thread under it. 

ex: 

Edna [Mode] is a supervillain by every external marker. She's a mad genius. She's got a weird and distorted physique. She has a gimmick. (All of her crazy inventions have to be clothes, sure as Captain Boomerang has to shape his time machines and spaceships like Australian throwing sticks.) She has a lair built on a monumental scale-- full of death traps. She declaims. She cackles. And she engages in long monologues to the heroes about their failure to grasp what's obvious to her superior mind.

She's just such a high-functioning mad scientist that she's managed to CONQUER THE WORLD (of fashion) while avoiding anything that might bring the heroes down on her. And, in fact, whiile making herself indispensible to them. She's achieved everything Syndrome hamhandedly tried for-- and looked good doing it.

Never thought about that with Edna,but that makes perfect sense.

I saw Incredibles 2 Friday night and loved it. No idea how well it compares to the first. I never did manage to rewatch it before seeing 2.