DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2018 MOVIE THREAD

RIPPA

Usually the double features at drive-ins will have one movie that I'd rather not see. But starting on Friday, the closest drive-in theater to me will have:

Incredibles 2 + Solo
Ocean's 8 + Tag
Deadpool 2 + Hereditary

Those ALL look great. Even if Tag turns out to be bad.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, S.K.o.S. said:

Usually the double features at drive-ins will have one movie that I'd rather not see. But starting on Friday, the closest drive-in theater to me will have:

Incredibles 2 + Solo
Ocean's 8 + Tag
Deadpool 2 + Hereditary

Those ALL look great. Even if Tag turns out to be bad.

Our local drive-in is showing Incredibles 2 and Infinity War this weekend, but between my wife working 12-14 hour days the last two weeks and again next week and a play she and my daughter are going to on Saturday, we aren't able to go.  I'm very disappointed.

• Sad 1

Saw Casablanca last night in a local theater. Had never seen it before. Enjoyed it far more than I expected. Was surprised by the brisk pacing. Was VERY surprised by how funny it was. Nice to finally put all the classic lines from the movie into their correct context. 

• Like 7

Wasn't a fan of Oceans 8 at all. Once they established that the real main characters are unavailable, it's difficult not to look at it as some Grease 2-esque "George Clooney rejected this, so we'll give it to someone else" idea. Too many zany characters make it difficult to suspend disbelief. Cate Blanchett's accent is fucking dire. The last third of it before James Corden turns up is pretty good. From there, just disappointing that the bear from the Revenant isn't mauling him. 

Tag was fucking woeful. If you saw the trailer, you saw all the funny bits (actually, no I retract that in hindsight - Hannibal Buress has some pretty good lines, and Isla Fisher is sexy as hell). As per above, this one felt like someone made a script for a The League movie and no-one wanted to do it. 

Looking forward to Hotel Artemis, Hereditary and Upgrade though.

17 hours ago, RolandTHTG said:

Wasn't a fan of Oceans 8 at all. Once they established that the real main characters are unavailable, it's difficult not to look at it as some Grease 2-esque "George Clooney rejected this, so we'll give it to someone else" idea. Too many zany characters make it difficult to suspend disbelief. Cate Blanchett's accent is fucking dire. The last third of it before James Corden turns up is pretty good. From there, just disappointing that the bear from the Revenant isn't mauling him. 

Tag was fucking woeful. If you saw the trailer, you saw all the funny bits (actually, no I retract that in hindsight - Hannibal Buress has some pretty good lines, and Isla Fisher is sexy as hell). As per above, this one felt like someone made a script for a The League movie and no-one wanted to do it. 

Looking forward to Hotel Artemis, Hereditary and Upgrade though.

While fully admitting she obviously phoned in this role... I'm fairly certain that's a sentence never before typed, wrote, or spoken.

1 hour ago, Keep Calm, Akira Hokuto On said:

Wife and I enjoyed Oceans 8 a great deal.  Never seen any of the other Oceans films. though, so maybe that makes a difference.

Oh man, you've got to go back and watch Ocean's Eleven, it's a masterstroke. Pretend none of the others happened 

• Like 2

On 6/15/2018 at 4:44 PM, Brian Fowler said:

While fully admitting she obviously phoned in this role... I'm fairly certain that's a sentence never before typed, wrote, or spoken.

I'm Australian, and it sounded like she was trying for "Bryan Brown in Cocktail". She spends too much time IRL trying to sound sophisticated and pretentious to not have such a broad accent.

33 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Anyone know if Gotti is bad enough to be worth seeking out? I really hope it is. 

What I find funny is A&E did a four part docuseries on John Gotti (as told by Junior like Travolta's Gotti film). Someone clearly thought there would be a groundswell of newfound interest in John Gotti to the point where they even reference the feature film at the end (along with the burgeoning MMA career of John Gotti III FWIW). It's a fairly uneven documentary and it's clearly there to paint the family (especially senior) as hard working Italians who just happened to be a huge part of organized crime but the judicial system kept fucking with them for whatever reason.

Reading portions of the reviews for Gotti makes me believe it is more of the same (absolving Junior Gotti and mythologizing John Gotti), and the only one really took this serious is Travolta.

10 hours ago, driver said:

Saw Tag and really got into it.

Had some friends see it and they loved it.  We are eager to see it - like the premise, love the local connection (the dudes are from Spokane).

Mildly amusing story:

I decided in the middle of last week that I was gonna do the Ocean's 8 + Tag drive-in double feature that I mentioned above.  Someone posted here that all the good parts for Tag were in the trailer. I hadn't seen the trailer, so I figured that would work out well for me.  Only possible place I could see it was during the trailers when I went to see Hereditary on Thursday, and why the hell would they show the trailer for Tag in front of Hereditary?

Well, they DID show the trailer for Tag in front of my screening of Hereditary. I closed my eyes throughout.

• Like 1

The Superfly reboot is just as unexpectedly hilarious as you thought it might be and the ending is completely over the top. 

Go in with low expectations and embrace the raunchy goodness because it must be seen to be believed.

The Snow Patrol has rocketed to the Number Three slot of my Best African American Criminal Organizations list right behind The Cash Money Brothers and the Riverside Wrecking Crew.

No, it is not a good movie.  No, you should not care that it is not a good movie.

Million billion stars.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, J.T. said:

The Superfly reboot is just as unexpectedly hilarious as you thought it might be and the ending is completely over the top. 

Go in with low expectations and embrace the raunchy goodness because it must be seen to be believed.

The Snow Patrol has rocketed to the Number Three slot of my Best African American Criminal Organizations list right behind The Cash Money Brothers and the Riverside Wrecking Crew.

No, it is not a good movie.  No, you should not care that it is not a good movie.

Million billion stars.

After learning they only wrapped production on Superfly like three months ago in addition to that Tyler Perry film Acrimony shooting in eight or nine days (Taraji did all her stuff in 5 IIRC), it very much feels like black cinema is going back to cutting corners at all costs. With Tyler Perry, that's kinda his thing. Why Sony would do a Superfly remake in 2018 after remaking Superfly already failed and then throwing it together to make it seem as direct-to-video as possible is beyond me. Power is a hit TV show but it ain't that big of hit where you have to capitalize on underworld stuff ASAP and then hide it behind an old blaxploitation classic.