DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2018 MOVIE THREAD

RIPPA

Oscar-winning actress Brie Larson (Room) and screenwriter John Ridley (12 Years a Slave), Oscar-nominated actress Meg Ryan, Get Out producer Jason Blum, Sony Classics co-chief Michael Barker, DreamWorks Animation chief Bonnie Arnold, former Academy president Sid Ganis (who left the board after his presidency came to an end in 2009) and the producers of the last two Oscars telecasts, Michael De Luca and Jennifer Todd, are among the finalists for open seats as the Academy conducts its annual board elections, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

Some of the board leaving including Tom Hanks, Kathleen Kennedy and Michael Mann

The full list of finalists. Poor poor Alfred Molina... apparently not a big enough name anymore to make the actual story.

What follows is a list of each branch's finalists. (For branches that fielded fewer than four candidates, all candidates advanced to the next found.)

Actors

Brie Larson
Alfred Molina
Lou Diamond Phillips
Meg Ryan

Casting Directors

Kerry Barden
Ilene Starger
Bernard Telsey [incumbent]

Cinematographers

Michael Goi
Guillermo Navarro
Daryn Okada [incumbent]
Newton Thomas Sigel

Costume Designers

Marie France
Jeffrey Kurland
Deborah Nadoolman Landis [incumbent]

Designers

Tom Duffield
Marcia Hinds
Geoffrey A. Kirkland
Melissa Stewart

Directors

Haiffa Al-Mansour
John Badham
Susanne Bier
Shawn Levy

Documentary

John Battsek
Kate Davis
Karen Goodman
Rory Kennedy [incumbent]

Executives

Pam Abdy
Michael W. Barker
Jim Gianopulos [incumbent; also the sitting treasurer]
Mike Medavoy

Film Editors

Maryann Brandon
Dody J. Dorn
Carol Littleton [incumbent]
Mary Sweeney

Makeup Artists and Hairstylists

Michele Burke
Lois Burwell [incumbent; also the sitting first vice president]
Bill Corso
Ve Neill

Music

Alan Bergman
Charles Fox
Lisa Gerrard
Michael Giacchino [incumbent]

Producers

Jason Blum
Michael De Luca
Jennifer Todd
Janet Yang

Public Relations

Tony Angellotti
Terry Curtin
Rob Friedman
Sid Ganis

Short Films and Feature Animation

Bonnie Arnold
Brenda Chapman
Bob Kurtz
Marlon West

Sound

Gary C. Bourgeois
Christopher D. Jenkins
Scott Millan [incumbent]
Kevin O’Connell

VFX

John Knoll [incumbent]
Robert Legato
Theresa Ellis Rygiel
Bill Taylor

Writers

Amy Holden Jones
Billy Ray [incumbent]
John Ridley
Dana Stevens

Action Park opens this weekend and will probably blow goats.

UPGRADE IS 86% FRESH~!!! FUCK YEAH~!!!

I owe Curt an apology for doubting the awesomeness of Upgrade.  I know what I am going to see this weekend if I make it to the movies.

Upgrade probably would've fucked up a lot of ballots if it had been in the Blockbuster Pool.

• Like 1

Upgrade was fucking awesome!  I'm glad it rained all weekend which forced us to gravitate towards inside entertainment to avoid cabin fever.

On ‎6‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 12:16 PM, Keep Calm, Akira Hokuto On said:

Upgrade looked interesting to me till I realized it's from the guy behind the Saw series.

You're forgetting that the first Saw movie was awesome and then the studio tried to turn it into a cash chow franchise and fucked things up.

Same for Insidious.

There used to be a brilliant essay at Leigh's personal blog when it was still being updated about the perils of being a professional writer and doing things because a contract says you have to and not because you wanted to. 

It's easy to see that Upgrade was something that Leigh wanted to do, rather than something he did to keep the lights on.

• Like 1

When Leigh had an active blog, he used to joke about how he thought about using a screen name since people would see his first name and assume he was a woman.

Lin Shaye said in an interview that techs on the set of Insidious use to greet her with "Mrs. Whannell" and they used to greet Leigh with "Mr. Shaye."

They thought that Lin was a man's name and didn't know that Lin was short for Linda.

• Like 1

I was sad to stumble across I Kill Giants in the library's DVD section today.  I had no idea it had already been in and out of theaters already.  Sigh.  I was kinda hoping it would get a decent pr push.  Guess not.

Me neither.  When I picked it up, I figured it'd be some other movie with a similar title. Nope.  

It appears to have a blink-and-you-missed-it theatrical run, though it didn't play anywhere near me.  RT score is 80%, 52 reviews so it doesn't sound awful.  Dunno.  KInda disappointed it didn't get more of a chance.

Haven't watched it yet.  Going to watch it this weekend.

Did watch the Villainess late last night.  Not what I expected.  The reviews had me expecting some sort of bloody, non-stop actionfest, sort of like Battle Royale or some wire-fu flick.  And it does have it's share of long, energetic, hyperviolent set pieces, but it also has 20 minutes of talking in between each action sequence.  I welcomed the talking about as much as I want a 20 min Authority promo to start off Raw.  I was in the mood for a Korean version of Battle Royale and I got a Korean La Femme Nikita.  I would have had to try to care less about the main character's kid, or her gaslighting relationship with her second husband, or anything else.

The action pieces are quite good if you like bloody hyperviolence.  The opening beatdown is well shot.  The knife fight on motorcylces is cool, and the end sequence is so over the top, it's worth the price of admission.  I actually think the dramatic scenes in between were probably very good.  Just not what I was in the mood for.

End sequence was great, possibly for the wrong reasons.  The high-speed chase  where a character chases down a bus by blocking the car's gas pedal against the floor, then steering the car by sitting on the hood and reaching behind her to grab the steering wheel with one hand, was both exhilarating and absurd.  And during the final fight - a long, bloody knife-and-gun fight inside the bus, I couldn't take my eyes off the bus driver.  The scene starts with a knife-wielding woman rope-swinging through a window, a bloody ultraviolent fight ensures between half a dozen people armed with guns and knives.... the the M*****F****** bus driver not only doesn't slow down, he also doesn't bother to turn around and look at the carnage behind him.  When people start getting thrown through the windows of the bus, leaving gaping holes in the side, you'd think he'd pay some attention.  Nope.  He keeps driving, keeps his eyes on the road.  Right up until someone stabs him.  That's dedication.

Anyway, worthwhile action flick that wants to be a serious drama on a night when I just wanted to see choreographed fake fighting.  Not what i expected.

On June 1, 2018 at 8:00 AM, Control said:

It was Rainer Werner Fassbender’s birthday yesterday and it reminded me that I’ve never seen any of his films. Any recommendations?

I think I've only seen 'Ali:Fear Eats the Soul' which is super good and depressing and infuriating with an older woman falling in love with an Algerian immigrant who is much younger and how her family and everyone else rejects their relationship.  I remember seeing a clip of it in a second year film studies class and the puzzled looks and nervous laughter from people in the class when they saw the woman's family yell at her for dating a black man.  People just weren't used to seeing that sort of almost casual understated racism versus the usual over-the-top blatant racism one sees, if that makes any sense. 

• Like 2

On 6/9/2018 at 6:42 AM, J.T. said:

My copy of The Black Hood / Kaiketsu Kurozukin (1981) should arrive next week!

FUCK YEAH~!

Shit, where’d you track that down? Movie doesn’t even have an IMDB rating.

14 hours ago, Control said:

Shit, where’d you track that down? Movie doesn’t even have an IMDB rating.

From the wonderful people at kurotokage.com aka my new slightly shady internet distributor of Asian cinema.

Click on the Samurai icon when you get to the website and look for The Black Hood.  I did not realize that The Black Hood is actually a reboot of a two movie franchise first made in 1955 (The Black Hooded Man 1 and 2).

10 hours ago, driver said:

Saw Hereditary this morning. Excellent movie. Only noise in the entire theater during the movie was a guy sitting a few seats away from me dropping a coin on the floor.

I am going to try to see it on Wednesday afternoon on my last day of night duty. 

Graveyard shift is kicking my ass right now.

The weather is kicking my ass right now or else I would have already been out to see Upgrade. I'm aiming at Tuesday or Wednesday for that. Hereditary will have to wait, because I also want to catch Blue Collar (!!!) playing at the Art this upcoming Friday.