DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2018 - June

grilledcheese

11 hours ago, grilledcheese said:

While we are on the subject of wacky injuries, Brandon Morrow landed on the DL because he tweaked his back somehow while taking off his pants.

I love stupid baseball injuries. Not because I ever want anyone to get hurt, but year after year, dumb shit keeps happening.

That should be happening to guys my age not professional athletes

He'll always be cool in my book. When he was with Las Vegas, I met a lady friend of his on the bus. She was going to see him at Raley Field, as the 51's were in town to play the River Cats. We got to talking about this and that and when she heard I was a Dodger fan, she called him and had him leave tickets for me for all three games in the series. That's a cool fucking thing of him to do for some rando that met his girl on the bus.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, grilledcheese said:

He'll always be cool in my book. When he was with Las Vegas, I met a lady friend of his on the bus. She was going to see him at Raley Field, as the 51's were in town to play the River Cats. We got to talking about this and that and when she heard I was a Dodger fan, she called him and had him leave tickets for me for all three games in the series. That's a cool fucking thing of him to do for some rando that met his girl on the bus.

He'll always be cool with me for being an All-Star in his one year in Detroit.  Best year of his career by far.  Helped pitch Detroit into a one-game playoff that Jim Leyland mismanaged into a loss and elimination from the playoffs.

Plus, you gotta give props to a guy that's earned $65,000,000 while putting up a 98-120 record with a 4.67 ERA.  

• Like 2

Well that was an exciting game last night in Houston if anyone saw it. McCullers throws a 3-run homerun for the Rays, but the Astros manage to get the tying run at the bottom of the ninth and finally win it with bases loaded and no outs in the 12th. Still playing like a World Series team.

5 hours ago, Tabe said:

Plus, you gotta give props to a guy that's earned $65,000,000 while putting up a 98-120 record with a 4.67 ERA.  

Its the American dream, being mediocre and getting paid a shit ton for it. . . . :)

• Like 3

On 6/25/2018 at 4:39 AM, PetrolCB said:

...goddamn Phillies...

zVMChap.jpg

C’mon; they’re on target for next year, over .500 for the first time in 7 years and they’re vastly improved overall. 

5 minutes ago, PetrolCB said:

Oh I know, I’m a believer and a big fan, but that was a frustrating loss on Sunday. We need to make a move. 

I think the Phils are going to get Adrian Beltre and might try to make a real big splash and go for Manny Machado. Admittedly, I'm not familiar with their farm system, so I don't know if the Phils have the pieces or not to pull off trading for Machado.

So, the Yankees go from getting swept by the Rays to handling the Phillies pretty easily. If it's any consolation Petrol, the Nats got shut out by the Rays today.

12 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I think the Phils are going to get Adrian Beltre and might try to make a real big splash and go for Manny Machado. Admittedly, I'm not familiar with their farm system, so I don't know if the Phils have the pieces or not to pull off trading for Machado.

So, the Yankees go from getting swept by the Rays to handling the Phillies pretty easily. If it's any consolation Petrol, the Nats got shut out by the Rays today.

They are absolutely making a ploy for Machado. They have a lot of money to work with, and I think they have some players that while promising, they’re willing to part with to get Manny. Same goes for Harper, except for Bryce, there’s no way in hell they’re trading anyone to DC, they’d just pay him.

I honestly don’t know about the Beltre possibility. I mean, yeah it’s Adrian Beltre, but I don’t know. I feel like something would go wrong and he’d get injured. Hasn’t he had a few DL stints this year?

Hmm. We shall see what happens then. Was watching MLB Central (great show) the other morning and one of the usual talking head reporters mentioned Hamels coming back if they got Beltre, as a package deal.

But I don’t know if they’d wanna do that. Cole still has strong ties to this area and the team is miles ahead of where they were when he left, so it’s possible.

I’d love to see it though. 

Back to Manny for a second. The Phils are a very strong candidate, not because of the money and all, but a lot of our new front office came from Baltimore when he was signed and brought up. That could be something Manny would lean to. 

7 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Miami's best rookie SP, Caleb Smith, is probably done for the year.   He has a Grade 3 Lat sprain (It's torn off the bone).   

How can it be a sprain if its torn off the bone? Also ouch.

Tuned into ESPN late and I’m watching the tail end of Cubs/Dodgers. Flemming and Kurkjian are in the booth with David Ross. I swear to god, I thought Ross was Meltzer. Like, I knew it wasn’t, but my brain was like “No dude, it is.” 

He sounds just like him, when Dave is really engaged in something, with the cadence and accent. 

• Haha 1

And the follow up on Sandy Alderson sounds pretty much like he isn't gonna return

Asked whether he’d return should be again be declared cancer-free, Alderson offered a candid assessment of his recent work (link via MLB.com’s Anthony DiComo). “f I were to look at it on the merits, I’m not sure coming back is warranted,” Alderson said, in a nod to his team’s 31-45 record. Joel Sherman of the New York Post, meanwhile, writes that while Alderson and COO Jeff Wilpon neglected to go further into the prospect of the future, Tuesday’s press conference “sound[ed] like a goodbye to the job.”

7 hours ago, PetrolCB said:

Tuned into ESPN late and I’m watching the tail end of Cubs/Dodgers. Flemming and Kurkjian are in the booth with David Ross. I swear to god, I thought Ross was Meltzer. Like, I knew it wasn’t, but my brain was like “No dude, it is.” 

He sounds just like him, when Dave is really engaged in something, with the cadence and accent. 

Oh, so it sounded like "Yeah, um, you know, like, yeah, um, uh, yeah, um, you know, you know what I mean, um"

It did actually. Then he’d go into hyper-stammer-speed when on a tangent. 

Not that I’m knocking him, he was actually enjoyable to listen to. It’s just that, at a sixer deep, and as a WOR regular listener, it was oddly coincidental. 

Which is funny since Dave wanted to, and was briefly, an actual sports writer. Not mainstream, but he was good enough for DeFord to take him under his wing at The National. 

He touches on this on Jericho’s podcast a week ago, which is really good. Give it a go. 

Jesus. The Darvish signing gets better and better...

http://www.bleachernation.com/2018/06/27/yu-darvish-speaks-thoughts-of-retirement-last-year-venom-from-dodgers-fans-more/

So that's great. The Cubs shelled out $126 million or whatever the fuck for a pitcher who is too afraid to pitch against the team he's most likely to pitch against in the postseason.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

Jesus. The Darvish signing gets better and better...

http://www.bleachernation.com/2018/06/27/yu-darvish-speaks-thoughts-of-retirement-last-year-venom-from-dodgers-fans-more/

So that's great. The Cubs shelled out $126 million or whatever the fuck for a pitcher who is too afraid to pitch against the team he's most likely to pitch against in the postseason.

The Cubs should have just re-signed Arrieta.