DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

8 hours ago, OSJ said:

I've been fortunate enough to meet both. Steamboat is exactly what he presents himself to be on TV, a super-nice, serious guy that loves the business. Barry Windham is one of the most laid-back , chill dudes I've ever met. If these guys don't like you there's probably good reason to re-evaluate your existence as a human being. (Or in Herd's case, just stick your head in a pizza oven and get it over with.)

On 6/23/2018 at 10:28 AM, OSJ said:

I well recall the articles in WON and some horrific pictures from I don't recall where... The dude is lucky to be alive, a couple of inches either way and his skull would've been crushed. I've never been a fan going back to his days as Dizzy Hogan in Portland, but asshats that yell "Kill yourself!" at anyone need to be thrown under a bus and run over repeatedly, there's just no excuse for that, even if they were an ECW mutant.

???. Don't. Ever. Change.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Victator said:

We already know it won't happen. Carmella will keep being irritating and working 50/50 matches when she should get massacred and win on a fluke. I thought the Ellsworth deal was a good finish. But the body was like the Charlotte match. 

She should've at least lunged at Ellsworth instead of just standing there interminably like a mesmerized baby jackass. In fact, fuck giving that geek fuck his little pop for a reveal that had already leaked anyways. She should've kicked him off the apron before he ever had a chance to reveal himself with the mask only coming off as he hit the floor.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I was just watching Bella's or whatever it's called with the wife and it was the RR episode and good fricken grief, Asuka. It's hard to believe this botch. 

Funny thing, first time scrolling through here since Friday, and seeing all the comments as well. 

20 minutes ago, joseph2112 said:

I was just watching Bella's or whatever it's called with the wife and it was the RR episode and good fricken grief, Asuka. It's hard to believe this botch. 

Funny thing, first time scrolling through here since Friday, and seeing all the comments as well. 

It should be hard to believe, but we should have seen this coming. I got duped just like everyone else. Asuka wins the women's rumble and has to win one of the titles at Mania. Right?

Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

1 hour ago, RolandTHTG said:

???. Don't. Ever. Change.

Okay, so I can be a little inconsistent, I wouldn't yell "Kill yourself!" at Jim Herd, but if he were to stick his head in one of his pizza ovens I wouldn't be all that upset about it, either. I do suppose my suggestion to throw knives at Jose Gonzalez might be considered a bit extreme, but really, fuck him and fuck Carlos Colon and every corrupt Puerto Rican official that let them get away with murdering Brody. I am not nor was I a Brody fan, but the dude didn't deserve to get butchered in the shower no matter how obnoxious or difficult to deal with he was. 

If a guy is a pain in the ass, you simply don't book him. You don't book him and then murder him. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, RolandTHTG said:

Is it too much of a stretch to add Brutus Beefcake to that though? That promo was awful, and for all the inappropriateness of the comment - the timing was spot on, and made it fucking funny.

You're probably right, my life has improved immeasurably since Beefcake has been off my TV, is there a correlation? Hard to say...

The really sad thing here is that you never got to see him as "Dizzy Hogan" in Portland, his awful promo in WCW was actually pretty good compared to what we had to listen to every Saturday. When a guy makes you grateful for Rip Oliver snatching the mic out of his hands and talking instead, he's not just bad, he's a level of awful that's rarely seen. (Rip Oliver was a pretty mediocre wrestler and a terrible promo with a natural high whiny voice, so he would try to growl through -his promos and his voice would crack like he was a 12 year-old). Just awful, but he was better than Beefcake by light-years.

• Like 1

One of the things that I am most bummed about is showing up to the world too late to go to Portland shows with my grandma. My mom says that everytime they'd come up to Tacoma, Grandma'd be trying to get someone to go with her. Man, I gladly would have done so. We had good times watching WCW together, at least. 

• Like 1

Opening this one up for discussion - 

Situations where a guy has kicked out of something they ostensibly shouldn't have - and it really added to the match or the story being told, rather than just "its a big match, its expected to be kicked out of" or spamming finishes, or even just a real "Holy shit, no-one's ever kicked out of that!" reaction that you recall?

Savage's 43698395065 elbow drops on Warrior and still only getting a 2 was....something. I'll need to rewatch Mania X-7 main to remember what went on there, but I recall that was really well done without remembering the specifics per se.

Finishing stretch of the Team Austin vs Team Bischoff in 03 Survivor Series was pretty cool for this also, with Shawn just refusing to stay down. Good Friends Bitter Enemies also?

Sting and Vader at the Great American Bash.   Sting goes for the Stinger Splash and overshoots it slamming his head into the post. Basically knocked himself out.  He's bloodied. Vader goes for the pin and Sting KICKS OUT.   However,  Vader puts him away with a powerbomb right after.  I love it because Vader wins clean and is established as a monster heel but Sting was really protected off that misfire and the kickout that followed.  It showed again why he was champion to begin with.  A tough ass dude who can never be counted out. 

• Like 11

The first time Shawn kicked out of the tombstone, it was a really big deal. Everyone else doing it every year after was fucking terrible.

From around the same time, Shawn getting off the stretcher repeatedly against Batista with Jericho cheering Shawn on. Of course, Jericho was only doing this so Batista would hurt Shawn even more. Great story telling in the early stages of their memorable 08 feud.

Though it probably shouldn't have been done, Mick Foley not saying I Quit when he was handcuffed and The Rock was blasting him with unprotected chair shots made Foley look un-submit-able and gave the Rock a violent edge that he was missing at the top of the card.

Umaga starting to get up after the ring-rope-choke STFU before Cena had to put it on again for an uncomfortably long time was a nice touch on the monster/monster killer story they were going for.

• Like 1

Random question here:

So I was reading some interview Jericho did, within the past week or two. He says he was cycling a lot (and basically admitting to doing it off and on in his career, without directly saying so) as his meeting with Vince was coming up in ‘99, so he could look big and cut and all of that. 

Obviously they were lax here, and they killed testing at some point, but when did they actually start again? Was it after Eddie passed? I feel like I should know but, meh...

I'd assume it was when the Wellness Policy started and I think that was after Benoit but I wasn't really paying attention at that point.

It'd be interesting to know when folks felt like they could start taking them again, do you think it was immediately after Vince's trial was over?

I don’t know about immediately, but ‘97 is when it became very noticeable that guys were bulking up again. Since after years of nobody doing so, it really stuck out. 

I dunno how much they cared about safety or just didn’t want a guy dying while active, which is how the Pillman test came about. Wasn’t he popped for something right before he passed? That was around then. 

So, based on what Dave said on the new WOR, Vice has a 10 week special on wrestling coming up on October 19th, airing on Viceland. Gino Hernandez, Brody, Von Erichs, women’s history, etc. He was interviewed extensively, and going by the way he built this up, it seems like it’ll be pretty damn good. He emphasized that Gino’s will be “unbelievable”. 

Looking forward to these this fall. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 6/23/2018 at 6:28 PM, Ryan said:

I'm not The Natural, if that's what post you're referencing, but I'll take it as a nickname.

Done.

Also, pick a smaller sig.  Jesus.

After I read the details of the accident Brutus had, that he survived that without going crazy and even wrestling again is admirable. I don't know how his body did not go into shock. 

In the ring he was bad up to 88, but after that he was fine in the ring. Not great or even good, but perfectly serviceable. People say Hogan would get him booked, but I think any promoter would have given him a shot with his look. With the WWF, Hogan definitely got him a significant push, but Brutus got over. 

I think people drench too much criticism in hyperbole. Nothing can be less than good or mediocre, it has to be the worst ever or seven stars.  

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Done.

Also, pick a smaller sig.  Jesus.

I actually forgot you could have sigs on this site, I have them all hidden as I'm not a masochist

3 minutes ago, Victator said:

In the ring he was bad up to 88, but after that he was fine in the ring. Not great or even good, but perfectly serviceable.

I think people drench too much criticism in hyperbole. Nothing can be less than good or mediocre, it has to be the worst ever or seven stars.  

Word. I've no idea why he didn't get the win over Honky at WMIV (well I do, Warrior, which turned out for the best) or Perfect at VI, it seemed the accident really came at the worst time in his career

• Like 2