DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

11 minutes ago, Ace said:

Add me to the list of people who don't "get" Gargano. I couldn't get into Misawa either. Too stoic.

That's literally part of Misawa's character. It's a very Japanese thing that I can't due any justice trying to explain.

This might help a little bit. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaman_(term)

Fine, I'll play.

Unless he was with Kawada or Misawa, I've never much liked Taue. Not so far as to say he was bad, but I thought he was pretty easily the weakest of the Pillars, and I'm not positive I don't actually prefer Akiyama as well.

But I also haven't given him a fair shake in over a decade, and my tastes have definitely shifted over that time, so really I should try again.

2 minutes ago, Ryan said:

That's literally part of Misawa's character. It's a very Japanese thing that I can't due any justice trying to explain.

This might help a little bit. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaman_(term)

A few years ago a couple guys on the board here had a pretty deep conversation about stoicism in Japanese culture and about Misawa in particular that was fascinating, but I'm not sure if it was before or after the last crash.

2 hours ago, mattdangerously said:

You guys know there have been other TV shows made in the past 20 years, right?  If you're are just going to clutter up these threads trying to pop each other, could you at least mix up your references a little?

Mad About You? 

• Haha 1

Add me to the people who didn't "get"  CM Punk.  He was obviously good on the microphone but once the bell rang I saw a dude with average athleticism trying to perform moves he couldn't hit cleanly and who also had a variety of other sloppy offense.  I couldn't buy him as an ass-kicker or a brawler and I couldn't buy him against dudes who were not only much larger than him but also quicker and more athletic.  A prime example of this is the match vs. Brock Lesnar where CM Punk has an extended stay on offense and it does not look good at all.  I think CM Punk works as a cult leader.  I think CM Punk works as a chicken shit heel with a big mouth.  I don't think he ever worked as a babyface. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I saw a dude with average athleticism trying to perform moves he couldn't hit cleanly and who also had a variety of other sloppy offense

And people wonder why CM Punk sucks as a UFC fighter...

Add me to the people who don’t ‘get’ Seinfeld 

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Wyld Samurai said:

This nails it. It's what I absolutely camt stand the most about the modern product. I have to blame Austin for this with his hammering in his adage of "get your shit in!". It's bullshit, predictable, and makes the matches pointless. 

It's ok for a person to have a Bret Hart-rsque 5 Moves of Doom... Because those are setup moves... But working the same spots into every match? That is so contrived.

What shit did Austin have to get in? He readily admits that due to injury, he basically only had like 4 or 5 moves that he did during his big run and mostly just brawled and sold. The only thing I can think of that he tried to get in every match was the Thesz Press.

15 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

This is why NBC Universo rules. If you missed anything you get the replays minus Cole And The Gang. 

What was the deal with Carmella (as in, what was their prior beef)? When both of your former teammates dislike you (and one is a verified, bonafide piece of shit) you must really, really be an asshole.

So two assholish people not liking you makes you an asshole? I would think the opposite. Now if someone like Bobby Eaton doesn't like you, you're probably an asshole.

5 hours ago, Ace said:

Add me to the list of people who don't "get" Gargano. I couldn't get into Misawa either. Too stoic.

Gargano you either like or you don't and I can understand views either way. Misawa is much more of a cultural thing that you need to try and understand to really get him. The Natural offered up the definition of one term which is important, but it goes far beyond that into "Bushido", which is a code of conduct/ethics/courage for warriors and Misawa was portrayed as an epitome of someone who lived by this code. Hope that helps.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

In my experience, you also have to be a real bastard to get a Samoan dude pissed off at you. Some of the most laid back dudes I've ever had the pleasure of knowing are Samoans. 

This is very true, also true of most of us Irish-Americans. That said, there's always one guy that just has to see how many times he can stick his hand in the tiger's cage and get away with it. I'm long past my physical prime and was never a badass, but I was a Muay Thai practitioner and a bouncer once upon a time so I wasn't exactly a pushover either, but as you can see on this board, I'm about as chill as one of the Island boys. 99 out of 100 people that acted a fool I could talk down and send on their way with no one getting upset or hurt. But it was that one guy out of 100 that could simply not be reasoned with that really made me hate the job as no matter what, you're going to eat a few shots too and I really don't like being hit, it makes me rather angry and unreasonable. This type of person was also the sort that would provoke my Samoan buds far beyond what any sane person would do and always paid a very painful price for such stupidity. Sooner or later the tiger is going to rip your fucking arm off, so it's best not to poke your hand in the cage in the first place.

I've gone into some of the big New Japan shows and expressed me not getting Kazuchika Okada and Hiroshi Tanahashi. I won't rehash those arguments here. I'll just enjoy LA Park/Rush kill each other like they did last night.

• Like 1

Hey, is this the thread where I can bitch about not getting Shawn Michaels and his stupid over-selling or Kenny Omega's grotesque face-pulling that he does in every match?

• Like 3

9 hours ago, just drew said:

One of the accounts that went around was that Cass told Mella he had no interest in getting married. Mella wasn't having it. 

I know John Cena, and you, sir, are no John Cena.

• Like 7
  • Haha 3

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
2 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

So two assholish not liking you makes you an asshole? I would think the opposite. Now if someone like Bobby Eaton doesn't like you, you're probably an asshole.

Quoted for truth, I've met him a few times and he was quite possibly the nicest guy on the planet. Bobby Eaton is a good litmus test. If you're mean to Bobby I probably don't want to know you, and if Bobby doesn't like you then clearly the problem is you.

Meltzer and Alvarez have a long interview with Kenny Omega this week. Listening now, and Kenny comes across as thoughtful, humble, and likable.

They talk about the 2/3 Falls match, of course, and the planning that went into telling a story. Kenny also shares some thoughts on getting more famous in Japan in the last year and what that has changed for him. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Captain Kronos said:

Meltzer and Alvarez have a long interview with Kenny Omega this week. Listening now, and Kenny comes across as thoughtful, humble, and likable.

They talk about the 2/3 Falls match, of course, and the planning that went into telling a story. Kenny also shares some thoughts on getting more famous in Japan in the last year and what that has changed for him. 

Oh Kenny seems like a very likable person. He's also a great talent in the ring. My only problem with him is that he makes grotesque faces at the wrong times. Part of the fault lies with NJPW itself as that seems to be a criteria to get their "strong style" over and differentiate themselves from the stoicism shown back in AJPW and in NOAH.