DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

53 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

We’re told that The Usos and Erick Rowan were the ones to get Cass to back away.

And probably piss himself, too.  I would not want those three mad at me at the same time.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

56 minutes ago, Captain Kronos said:

On a happy note from such an ugly story, I am pleased to see it was the Usos who jumped in to protect Mella.

They seem like good dudes, and such an action is consistent with how I imagine them to be. 

Am I a horrible person for wishing that Big Cass got into an actual fight with Jimmy or Jay? I'm from Seattle which has a fairly large Samoan population and I've seen these guys fight before, it isn't pretty for whoever is on the receiving end.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I don't get Lawler. Sure he can "work" the crowd without doing much. But if I wanna see a "no bumps given no bumps taken brother" match i'll watch Jimmy Valiant.

Lawler is boring to me, that could also be because i'm the generation that came under the ashes of ECW and the Attitude Era so i'm conditioned to a faster style.

Memphis is also my least favorite style of wrestling. I'd take Mid South and Crockett over Memphis any day of the week when it comes to 80's wrestling.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, OSJ said:

Am I a horrible person for wishing that Big Cass got into an actual fight with Jimmy or Jay? I'm from Seattle which has a fairly large Samoan population and I've seen these guys fight before, it isn't pretty for whoever is on the receiving end.

In my experience, you also have to be a real bastard to get a Samoan dude pissed off at you. Some of the most laid back dudes I've ever had the pleasure of knowing are Samoans. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Web Conn said:

I don't get Lawler. Sure he can "work" the crowd without doing much. But if I wanna see a "no bumps given no bumps taken brother" match i'll watch Jimmy Valiant.

Lawler is boring to me, that could also be because i'm the generation that came under the ashes of ECW and the Attitude Era so i'm conditioned to a faster style.

Memphis is also my least favorite style of wrestling. I'd take Mid South and Crockett over Memphis any day of the week when it comes to 80's wrestling.

Kinda with you on this, partly because of all the other stuff you can’t unknow when watching Lawler, and partly because I have a weird aversion to punch-based pro wrestling in general. It’s my deepest held (yet silly and pedantic) wrestling opinion, really: punches are illegal, and should be treated like desperation moves, high spots, or saved for matches where the rules allow and build justifies a brawl. Certainly Lawler and Memphis has their  share of the latter, which mostly work for me, but as a foundation for every match it’s my least favorite template.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Carmella and Cass used to date.  She dumped him.  

That's all the background you need for the story above. 

One of the accounts that went around was that Cass told Mella he had no interest in getting married. Mella wasn't having it. 

40 minutes ago, just drew said:

One of the accounts that went around was that Cass told Mella he had no interest in getting married. Mella wasn't having it. 

Cass is a fucking idiot. Who wouldn't want to marry Carmella?

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Ace said:

Add me to the list of people who don't "get" Gargano. I couldn't get into Misawa either. Too stoic.

That's literally part of Misawa's character. It's a very Japanese thing that I can't due any justice trying to explain.

This might help a little bit. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaman_(term)

Fine, I'll play.

Unless he was with Kawada or Misawa, I've never much liked Taue. Not so far as to say he was bad, but I thought he was pretty easily the weakest of the Pillars, and I'm not positive I don't actually prefer Akiyama as well.

But I also haven't given him a fair shake in over a decade, and my tastes have definitely shifted over that time, so really I should try again.

2 minutes ago, Ryan said:

That's literally part of Misawa's character. It's a very Japanese thing that I can't due any justice trying to explain.

This might help a little bit. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaman_(term)

A few years ago a couple guys on the board here had a pretty deep conversation about stoicism in Japanese culture and about Misawa in particular that was fascinating, but I'm not sure if it was before or after the last crash.

2 hours ago, mattdangerously said:

You guys know there have been other TV shows made in the past 20 years, right?  If you're are just going to clutter up these threads trying to pop each other, could you at least mix up your references a little?

Mad About You? 

• Haha 1

Add me to the people who didn't "get"  CM Punk.  He was obviously good on the microphone but once the bell rang I saw a dude with average athleticism trying to perform moves he couldn't hit cleanly and who also had a variety of other sloppy offense.  I couldn't buy him as an ass-kicker or a brawler and I couldn't buy him against dudes who were not only much larger than him but also quicker and more athletic.  A prime example of this is the match vs. Brock Lesnar where CM Punk has an extended stay on offense and it does not look good at all.  I think CM Punk works as a cult leader.  I think CM Punk works as a chicken shit heel with a big mouth.  I don't think he ever worked as a babyface. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I saw a dude with average athleticism trying to perform moves he couldn't hit cleanly and who also had a variety of other sloppy offense

And people wonder why CM Punk sucks as a UFC fighter...

Add me to the people who don’t ‘get’ Seinfeld 

• Like 3