DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

16 hours ago, SorceressKnight said:

For me...and it's unpopular now more than ever, but...I just don't "get" Johnny Gargano.

It's hard- I recognize how talented he is and how good he is when I see him wrestle...but I hear so many people who's opinions I respect saying he has top face of the company potential, he's the next Daniel Bryan, he's the next great babyface in pro wrestling to lead the sport to a new boom period...and for the life of me, I just don't see it in Gargano and it drives me crazy thinking of what I'm missing here. I mean, the guy's good, but not THAT GOOD.

Glad it's not just me.

Feel like I heard all the same things thrown around towards Sami Zayn before and never got that either, feel he ended up a better heel anyway.

• Thanks 1

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
21 hours ago, mattdangerously said:

Honestly, everyone here can probably name someone that everyone else loves, but that we just don't "get".  For me, it's Toshiaki Kawada.  Hey, if you can't work a great match without kicking the shit out of your opponent, then you can't work a great match.  (Come at me, bro.)

Lance? Lance Storm? Is that you?! 17 years is a long time for an argument to resurface, dude.

On 6/20/2018 at 3:39 PM, Victator said:

The kits can tell if there was forceful entry. 

No, the kits cannot make that distinction. The SANE nurse would document any tearing or contusions during the exam, but that would inevitably lead to a claim of consensual rough sex.  

I don’t recall the specifics in this case, but many times sexual assault victims don’t immediately report the crime. By the time they report the assault, they’ve lost some of the potential evidence by showering, doing laundry, etc. Did the victim have a SANE exam in this case? 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, JonnyLaw said:

I think he could be great in the CM Punk-esque commentator role.

Great call if they want to keep him heel.

Otherwise he is going to get a monster pop at the Royal Rumble.

• Like 1

Do y'all still love bland-ass Drew MacIntyre or no? 

EDIT: To clear up confusion, that's the guy everyone likes who I don't get. His look is bland, he can't really talk much, and I can't think of one match I've seen him in whether WWE, TNA, or the random British promotions that I've watched on YouTube where I can remember anything about a performance that he did. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I might catch a bit of flack for this, but the one guy I never got was CM Punk. And I can't even explain why. Maybe I could just never make a connection to him or his work? I can see why people like him and acknowledge some great matches he had (I.e. Cena at Night of Champions) but there's just something unexplainable why I just don't like/get him. I just don't enjoy his work all that much.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RolandTHTG said:

Can't say I've ever seen a Nakamura match that I enjoyed. Balor few and far between. Coming around to the Undisputed Era. Seth Rollins does absolutely nothing for me at all.

This basically describes my disconnect with current WWE. There are all these acts that other people are into that I just don't enjoy. 

For all the outsider crap, Punk had the gift of creating moments and making things feel important. As a worker he's sloppy and formulaic.

• Thanks 1

Its probably unfair to the specific workers, but it doesn't help when every guy does their same signature spots in the same set up every night in every match, the TV matches have the same format that you can set your watch to. Some guys have the right pacing, variety of moveset, and ability to maintain interest to either thrive in that environment or remain tolerable. Most don't, irrespective of their qualifications in other environments.

It's annoying that its become an aspect of storytelling that doing anything outside of that paradigm is noteworthy, or that it requires weeks of storytelling to justify why this match isn't laid out like every other. Speaking of which, I also don't miss Dean Ambrose at all.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ricochet, Davey Richards etc

All the guys that are about doing super athletic gymnastic routines, 100 finisher near falls, 5* classics every night... I appreciate the physical gifts to pull of the moves or keep working but it's just not for me. I haven't seen the Ricochet/Ospreay match and don't care to.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RolandTHTG said:

Its probably unfair to the specific workers, but it doesn't help when every guy does their same signature spots in the same set up every night in every match, the TV matches have the same format that you can set your watch to. Some guys have the right pacing, variety of moveset, and ability to maintain interest to either thrive in that environment or remain tolerable. Most don't, irrespective of their qualifications in other environments.

It's annoying that its become an aspect of storytelling that doing anything outside of that paradigm is noteworthy, or that it requires weeks of storytelling to justify why this match isn't laid out like every other. Speaking of which, I also don't miss Dean Ambrose at all.

Rollins doing 2-3 dives a match is the worst.

Also I would love people to win matches with something that isnt a roll up or finishing move eg. Reigns should be beating guys with Superman Punches and Splash Mountains every now and then.

• Like 5

I don't mind the dives so much. It's just watching him work 20 minutes, and in the end only the OUT OF NOWHERE 30 seconds before the finish is what matters. 

There's no psychological conditioning that makes people believe that a move is high risk, as it doesn't take any toll on the guy doing it (and doing it every other match), it doesn't lead to a pinfall ever, the guy receiving it doesn't sell it at all, and doesn't factor into the finish.

HHH/Rollins from Mania was his best match because they worked around those limitations in his work so well.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, RolandTHTG said:

I don't mind the dives so much. It's just watching him work 20 minutes, and in the end only the OUT OF NOWHERE 30 seconds before the finish is what matters. 

There's no psychological conditioning that makes people believe that a move is high risk, as it doesn't take any toll on the guy doing it (and doing it every other match), it doesn't lead to a pinfall ever, the guy receiving it doesn't sell it at all, and doesn't factor into the finish.

HHH/Rollins from Mania was his best match because they worked around those limitations in his work so well.

2 spots that would immediately blow my mind - 

Rollins vs Axel. Match is semi competitive. Axel dumped out of the ring. Rollins hits a dive but crashes and burns and gets counted out!

Rollins vs Dallas. Same deal. Goes for the dive and drills Dallas into the rail. Dallas hurts his back and HE is counted out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RolandTHTG said:

Like you said earlier, I think this criticism applies to just about anyone who works in WWE now, though. Even Daniel Bryan matches are like that now.