DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

21 hours ago, Casey said:

I guess I'm the only one that doesn't have a problem with HHH/Undertaker? I mean, do I want to see it at the top of the card? No. But, on the other hand, do I want to see another Reigns main event, or an underwhelming Nakamura/Styles match? That's also a no.

Nah dude I’m curious to see what they can do too. The way it’s hyped as their last match I doubt it’ll be a Cena-esque squash either 

• Like 1

On 6/16/2018 at 6:11 PM, OSJ said:

Matt, thanks for bringing some sanity to the speculation! I know it's a mug's game to say this about any professional athlete when there are millions of dollars at stake, but... Kenny Omega has always seemed like a "quality of life on his terms" kind of guy. He's in a country whose culture he's adopted as his own,  (hell, the dude speaks the language like a native without a trace of accent according to a friend of mine who has taught school there), the people have embraced him as a native son and love the hell out of him. He works for a company that has just now given him their highest accolade and pays him more money than a reasonable person can spend (and Kenny seems like a reasonable person who isn't collecting Maserati's or some stupid shit like that).  He more than likely has a job for life with NJPW transitioning to a liaison with gaijin talent after he retires. Why the hell would he trade all that to be getting 50/50 booking with the likes of Dolph Ziggler as another brick in the VKM wall? 

I think that if WWE offered him a deal like Lesnar has then he'd sign, but will they?

As for NJPW, he defeated Okada and has the title now. You could say that he has achieved everything he can and might want to challenge himself in different environment after dropping the title back to Okada at WK.

22 hours ago, Casey said:

I guess I'm the only one that doesn't have a problem with HHH/Undertaker? I mean, do I want to see it at the top of the card? No. But, on the other hand, do I want to see another Reigns main event, or an underwhelming Nakamura/Styles match? That's also a no.

I think that speaks volumes about WWE main event scene.

5 hours ago, Keep Calm, Akira Hokuto On said:

I know the IIconics aren't big deals in the company yet, but are they not over is Australia at least?  I would think maybe you'd promote them more than you would otherwise or maybe put them on the poster.

I hope they get some kind of bigger than normal spot as well, I think/hope they get a massive reaction.

1 hour ago, DreamBroken said:

I hope they get some kind of bigger than normal spot as well, I think/hope they get a massive reaction.

They will no doubt do the idiotic thing of having them heel on the crowd because "they are heels". Here's the thing: the 86 Mets were among the biggest heels in sports history. Everybody outside of Mets fans fucking hated them. But when they played at Shea they were loved like no other team in New York sports history. The same philosophy should apply to wrestlers who are usually heels in their hometown: the crowd sees them as the face and wants to cheer them, so just freaking go with it.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, sabremike said:

They will no doubt do the idiotic thing of having them heel on the crowd because "they are heels". Here's the thing: the 86 Mets were among the biggest heels in sports history. Everybody outside of Mets fans fucking hated them. But when they played at Shea they were loved like no other team in New York sports history. 

I doubt the Iconics can heel as effectively as Lenny Dykstra. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Keep Calm, Akira Hokuto On said:

I know the IIconics aren't big deals in the company yet, but are they not over is Australia at least?  I would think maybe you'd promote them more than you would otherwise or maybe put them on the poster.

Then again, Vince probably plans to job the IIconics out and humiliate them, so.... never mind?  Besides, Finn is white and smiles a lot.  i can imagine Vince re-gimmicking him as an Australian.

They're from Sydney. Hard enough for the Melbourne scene guys to get noticed locally. All things considered a pretty minimal reaction to them at the recent NXT show here too. 

One of them has pretty bad heat in the local scene too for fucking over one of the boys too.

• Like 1

I haven't seen this posted elsewhere, but if you go to the Highspots app, they've put up the Bruiser Brody: Wrestling's Last Rebel doc for free until Monday night.  It's pretty good for the first half and then becomes riveting when Tony Atlas goes minute-by-minute over what he saw when Brody was murdered.

Lex Luger talking about the shoot cage match with Brody is worth it too just for the payoff of what Lex says happens....and what really happened.

7 hours ago, sabremike said:

They will no doubt do the idiotic thing of having them heel on the crowd because "they are heels". Here's the thing: the 86 Mets were among the biggest heels in sports history. Everybody outside of Mets fans fucking hated them. But when they played at Shea they were loved like no other team in New York sports history. The same philosophy should apply to wrestlers who are usually heels in their hometown: the crowd sees them as the face and wants to cheer them, so just freaking go with it.

All of Colombia was pulling for Strawberry and Gooden.

It was too easy. I had to go for it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 6/17/2018 at 11:09 AM, Keep Calm, Akira Hokuto On said:

Then again, Vince probably plans to job the IIconics out and humiliate them, so.... never mind?  Besides, Finn is white and smiles a lot.  i can imagine Vince re-gimmicking him as an Australian.

They are heels. Beyond that they were indy jobbers who got put on the main roster to warm the bench. I seriously doubt the Australlian fan base cares about them. If Emma was still there, it might be different. But nobody cares about the I(I am not using that second I)conics.

Just have them act like they do on TV, if they get cheered, they get cheered. But don't do the "All the kids in Springfield are SOB's" promo. 

Edit: Someone tell Kropotkin his beard is dumb, 

18 hours ago, Captain Kronos said:

I remember how so many of us were kind of annoyed at Sheamus when he first showed up and got pushed to the stars because he was Hunter's friend. (or protege or whatever) But he has turned out to be likable AF. I have just subbed to his workout channel. 

I love how he keeps having to calm down hyper little Becky here. 

Is she always like that? Or did she maybe take a pre-workout that was kicking in? LOL

I think that's how Becky Lynch really is and it's adorable.

Also: toast.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Keep Calm, Akira Hokuto On said:

Me too.

I'm not sure there was really any reason I needed to know that.

Post Malone is post Karl Malone NBA. After Karl Malone and John Stockton retired, I stopped caring about the NBA.

• Haha 8

15 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

I doubt the Iconics can heel as effectively as Lenny Dykstra. 

No shame in that.  If he was active today, The Sheik would be reading Dykstra's book to learn how to heel it up better.

• Like 2