DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

I saw the transformation video, and it apparently took three hours of prosthetic makeup work for Stephanie to look like Stephanie in a blonde wig with glasses.

I've never seen Master of Disguise, but it has an all time great IMDB trivia contribution. 

Spoiler

afdidv.jpg

• Haha 3
  • Sad 2

I thought it was going to point out that Master of Disguise was so short, the credits were FIFTEEN MINUTES long so that the movie would count as a feature.  I think the movie itself runs about an hour or literally the length of tonight's Undercover Boss.

1 hour ago, (BP) said:

I saw the transformation video, and it apparently took three hours of prosthetic makeup work for Stephanie to look like Stephanie in a blonde wig with glasses.

I've never seen Master of Disguise, but it has an all time great IMDB trivia contribution. 

Reveal hidden contents

afdidv.jpg

Sweet fucking christ, I can't stop laughing at the idea of Dana Carvey being all super solemn and trying to find the right headspace for the scene, all the while looking like this:

loadimage.cfm?image=master.jpg

• Haha 6

On 6/2/2018 at 5:29 PM, Zakk_Sabbath said:

This is apropos of nothing but talking about ROH on cable I had to share this: I dont have a Sinclair owned network where I  live so I rarely get around to watching  ROH, but I found out a few weekends ago that I get it on the Red Sox' cable channel and just never knew because it's listed under "MMA Fight Sports" in the guide. It's like some weird time like Sunday at 5 PM

I recently discovered that it comes on at 11pm and Midnight on Sundays on a broadcast subchannel called CHARGE (which doesn't always come in for me). 

Plus, I don't usually stay up that late on Sundays. 

I will bet $7 billion dollars this did not happen:  

xcFFgunQdiySJnrlkGHFmitULD-UsDEf18KVY8Ak

Also he apparently told C*ss he could never forgive him for not finishing the match where he tore his ACL.  

On 6/5/2018 at 12:44 AM, Niners Fan in CT said:

Best of Superstars?  How about just putting all of the Superstars episodes up on the network.  That I would like.  

I'm hoping the fact that they're considering a DVD release means that they're working on prepping the footage. 

I need some good VQ Rock n Rasslin Championship/Superstars and then Superstars thru 1992. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, sydneybrown said:

I thought it was going to point out that Master of Disguise was so short, the credits were FIFTEEN MINUTES long so that the movie would count as a feature.  I think the movie itself runs about an hour or literally the length of tonight's Undercover Boss.

It's wikipedia page points out the length of the credits.

4 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Also he apparently told C*ss he could never forgive him for not finishing the match where he tore his ACL.  

Just out of curiosity, what part of it don't you buy?  I mean "the most tremendous promo of my life" is bullshit, but literally everything else sounds completely believable, especially the "wrestler A talks total shit to you and you just sit there and take it like a fucking loser" because I've been seeing those promos play out in WWE for decades.

And yeah, the Cass thing?  I think Enzo would have been even more pissed jobbing to a guy who had just torn his ACL.  

1 minute ago, L_W_P said:

I could see WWE letting The Elite go over the New Day at Survivor Series if they also had a contractual obligation to come back and lose in a Mania match against The Shield or something. Or a team of Balor/Styles/?? to play off the BC drama.

Jericho would sneak his way in there.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, sydneybrown said:

Just out of curiosity, what part of it don't you buy?  I mean "the most tremendous promo of my life" is bullshit, but literally everything else sounds completely believable, especially the "wrestler A talks total shit to you and you just sit there and take it like a fucking loser" because I've been seeing those promos play out in WWE for decades.

And yeah, the Cass thing?  I think Enzo would have been even more pissed jobbing to a guy who had just torn his ACL.  

You got the first one.  I also believe he was not "ready to quit."   And I sincerely believe he'd be back in a second if they'd have him.   

23 hours ago, Archibald said:

I don't follow WWE much outside of few select matches and BREAKINGS NEWS type of stuff so excuse me for my ignorance, but are New Day guys even relevant anymore? Whenever I see them mentioned now it usually is in the context of Omega and YBs coming to WWE or them doing some sort of crossover.

In other words I think it would be a bad deal, but I admit that I'm totally uninformed on the subject.

Dude, New Day are so fucking over and are clearly top guys, it's crazy. I know obsessives are tired of them, but they're top level.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Can’t blame him for that, Cass showed a complete lack of being able to improv when he wimped out 

• Like 1

Thing about people saying they'd never push The Elite in WWE... For the amount of money it would cost to sign them, Vince damn sure would push them when they come in.

WWE definitely can win a bidding war for them, but I suspect it'll take more than just beating NJPW's offer. They'll need to blow it away and Vince tends to push guys he's paying really big money.

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Here is the other announcement video

EDIT - Since someone will ask

A) It will air live on the Network

B) They are bringing the women

They are indeed. Ronda and Charlotte in the front row of the poster, along with Asuka, Nia, Alexa, Sasha, and Carmella pictured. (IIconics have been advertised but don't appear on the poster.)

20180615_SuperShowDown_v2--a30de6a119c47

Also, its interesting hearing Triple H shift from corporate promotional H to kayfabe H and back again within one two-minute clip.

6 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Thing about people saying they'd never push The Elite in WWE... For the amount of money it would cost to sign them, Vince damn sure would push them when they come in.

WWE definitely can win a bidding war for them, but I suspect it'll take more than just beating NJPW's offer. They'll need to blow it away and Vince tends to push guys he's paying really big money.

I could see the Young Bucks possibly signing at some point, if for no other reason than there's really not much left for them to do outside of the WWE, and they don't seem like the kind of guys who would be happy just coasting for the rest of their careers.  But Omega has expressed zero interest in leaving Japan.  

• Thanks 1

Matt, thanks for bringing some sanity to the speculation! I know it's a mug's game to say this about any professional athlete when there are millions of dollars at stake, but... Kenny Omega has always seemed like a "quality of life on his terms" kind of guy. He's in a country whose culture he's adopted as his own,  (hell, the dude speaks the language like a native without a trace of accent according to a friend of mine who has taught school there), the people have embraced him as a native son and love the hell out of him. He works for a company that has just now given him their highest accolade and pays him more money than a reasonable person can spend (and Kenny seems like a reasonable person who isn't collecting Maserati's or some stupid shit like that).  He more than likely has a job for life with NJPW transitioning to a liaison with gaijin talent after he retires. Why the hell would he trade all that to be getting 50/50 booking with the likes of Dolph Ziggler as another brick in the VKM wall? 

• Like 8

At this point, it seems that they are going to trot out the Undertaker for any "big" event, to pop a rating or to satisfy the curiosity of any pasha or ego of any vet. Soon he will be like a giant bunraku puppet, bone grinding on bone, held together with cortisone as the rassling more completely sheds kay fabe and transforms totally to spectacle and symbolism. Never mind those black clad druids in the ring with sticks!

- RAF

• Like 4
  • Haha 1