DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

5 hours ago, RolandTHTG said:

I'd do it the other way around. Roman calling out Punk for his UFC failures and blaming him for the fans turning on him. Punk eventually answers the challenge, promises to make Roman look strong. Road To Wrestlemania TM is filled with shooty promos about who goes on last, match is probably just spammed Spear/GTS and Shitty Top Rope Elbow/Spear counters on repeat.

I would love the irony of Punk finally going on last at Wrestlemania courtesy of a match with Roman.

1 hour ago, CreativeControl said:

I hope Punk now goes after them for malpractice

On what grounds?

1 hour ago, CreativeControl said:

I hope Punk now goes after them for malpractice

I think it would be best to now just walk away and not poke the tiger even more.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Victator said:

Foley in his book was careful not to name Dr,Rosenrosen for fear of being sued. This is a case where having a union would really benefit beyond pie in the sky dreams of pensions. A doctor that has to be agreed upon by everyone. 

Seems like Gawker could have avoided their troubles by not being shitbags at every turn. I'll never accept the retcon of the noble truth loving Gawker. 

If the NFL is any indication, a union doesn't help either.  Team doctors' sole concern is getting guys back on the field as fast as they can, and the whole "concussion spotter" thing is not working at all like it was supposed to.

There's room for nuance between "Gawker was a noble journalistic outlet" and "Gawker was a shitshot bastard child of TMZ and The National Enquirer."  What happened to them is not right, regardless of how you feel about their practices.  Essentially, a very rich man used the court system as a proxy to sue a news organization out of existence because he didn't like the way they covered him.  You can argue about their methods -- I think what they did to Thiell was justified, but YMMV -- but when you look at the very basic facts of what went down, that's some bullshit.  I'd call it "un-American" but "rich guys make the rules" is as American as it gets.

• Like 2

Let me preface this by saying I do not like Gawker. I think the world is better off without it. 

I don't think they had a right to out Thiel. I also don't like the idea of a rich man propping up lawsuits against their enemies. But our court system is built around survival of the richest. Its not a coincidence most of the people in prison are poor. 

Okay now knowing they had made a powerful enemy, they should have been more careful. I told my youngest sister about a situation she was in, if you are in a crooked fight, you better be at the top of your game and following rules to the letter. 

They were in the wrong to post the Hogan sex tape. There is no good justification for it and they paid. Gawker was mad they lost because they could not out spend Hogan. 

The funny thing is, I think they passed on posting the phone hack pics of Jennifer Lawrence because they feared being sued. 

Gawker died over something stupid they did not need to do and our legal system is rigged. 

• Like 7

21 hours ago, Raziel said:

For the Network, a while ago NJPW did a History of the IWGP Jr TItle series that basically used clips and end match  highlights of major matches and title changes through the belt's history.  I really wish they would do something like that for the WWE Title.

Although they were released many years ago, WWE has put out multiple “history of” videos including WWE Title, World Title, IC Title, and US Title. 

9 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I'd stay away from a Jimmy Snuka set for obvious reasons. The Raw tribute was bad enough. Just off the top of my head, I don't think any of these guys have a had dvd set:

British Bulldogs/Davey Boy Smith

Ricky Steamboat

Ricky had a Life Story of the Dragon DVD set years ago,  including a 1984 match with Ric Flair (from Boogie Jam) which still isn't on the Network.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, CreativeControl said:

Just watching some of the Big Cass thing from last night, why is WWE insistent on presenting their main heels as these cheap-suit-wearing blokes who deliver deliberate and monotonous promos? They even tried to do with with Kevin Owens, and it sucked. Have we got Chris Jericho to blame (who rocked doing it as it was very nuanced and unique at the time) from his epic run and feud against HBK?

It might be Jericho but I think equally culpable is HHH doing his best Flair cosplay during his "reign of terror" in the early 00s.

6 hours ago, alstein said:

LU did this with their gift of the gods championship.  You have to give 1 weeks notice to Dario (in order to "promote" the match properly) and the added stipulation of it being a championship you had to defend.

I thought having to defend it is a pretty brilliant idea-- TNA did it with one of their secondary titles as well (I wasn't watching much TNA but I seem to remember seeing a segment with someone-- maybe Austin Aries-- talking to Hogan about cashing in)

It was Aries starting "Option C" of cashing in the X division title for a shot at the world title. I like that the world title should be every singles wrestler's ultimate goal, but it did de-value the X title in the process.

56 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

It was Aries starting "Option C" of cashing in the X division title for a shot at the world title. I like that the world title should be everyone singles wrestler's ultimate goal, but it did de-value the X title in the process.

Even then, you can still make a case for why the X-Title having "Option C" worked:

The X-Division title may be "Not about weight limits, it's about no limits", but yeah- it was a cruiserweight title, maybe with "well, if a heavyweight worked the super indies we'll put them in the X-Division."

For all intents and purposes in wrestling, the heavyweight title is the World Title and the Cruiserweight Title is just a B or C-title...and it's not like the women's division, where you can eventually say the women's title is equal to the men's title and it's just different divisions since there are people who'd qualify as cruiserweights fighting for the World Title.

When that's in place, having a check and balance that says "yeah, the Cruiserweight Champion SHOULD have the opportunity to challenge for the World Title if they want to" is perfectly viable. 

Even if it devalues the midcard titles, having a plot point "Yeah, the midcard champion is technically number one contender to the World Title" from the old United States Title, and going further and saying "...and since they're the number one contender to the World Title, the midcard champion has the right to challenge the World Champion once during their title reign and the World Champion MUST accept their challenge or be stripped of the title" would be perfectly valid. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I'd stay away from a Jimmy Snuka set for obvious reasons. The Raw tribute was bad enough. Just off the top of my head, I don't think any of these guys have a had dvd set:

British Bulldogs/Davey Boy Smith

Ricky Steamboat

Harley Race

Haku/Meng

Don Muraco

Tito Santana

Paul Orndorff

Ricky Steamboat had a dvd. don't remember the name.

good calls all around though. i didn't even think of the bulldogs or harley race! a Meng set would be boss.

• Like 2

Of course, Bruce and Conrad have already covered WWECW in long form and you can find it in the archives. 

Maybe when they get kicked off the Network in the future and cover Bruce and Conrad's time there in long form, they can chat us up about the "creative differences." 

3 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

It was Aries starting "Option C" of cashing in the X division title for a shot at the world title. I like that the world title should be every singles wrestler's ultimate goal, but it did de-value the X title in the process.

Watching 82 Georgia on Youtube and Paul Orndorff gave up the National title when he challenged Ric Flair for the NWA title. Orndorff explained how important the National Title was to him, how much money it meant, But he did not want anything to fall back on when he challenged Flair. 

Flair did these promos calling Orndorff a fool for giving up a sure thing for a belt he had to beat Ric Flair for. Which Orndorff did not win, but he gained respect. 

• Like 9

37 minutes ago, L_W_P said:

I know it's not the same but I would love to see them use the "midcard" titles in the main events of some of the network shows.

There is no reason we couldn't have Rollins vs Balor for the IC title main event like TLC or something.

Same with the tag titles. I would buy The Usos vs New Day in a blood feud final match as the main event of a PPV without question. Bludgeon Bros stalking Naomi leading to a HIAC with the Usos (Uso Penitentiary!) could do it as well.

vince-mcmahon.jpg

There's your reason right there

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, Craig H said:

I think it would be best to now just walk away and not poke the tiger even more.

Punk bagged the tiger yesterday and has it stuffed and mounted in his living room.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, nofuture said:

A little late, but WWE is hosting an Emmy "For Your Consideration" event.  http://www.emmys.com/events/fyc-wwe

I'm going to give it to Vince McMahon. Somehow his company is actually becoming more "legitimate" as an entertainment business. This mainstreaming of the company is all he's ever wanted, and his pursuit of very specific presentation of his company is doing that. 

3 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

I'm going to give it to Vince McMahon. Somehow his company is actually becoming more "legitimate" as an entertainment business. This mainstreaming of the company is all he's ever wanted, and his pursuit of very specific presentation of his company is doing that. 

Good for him. It only took 36 years, but bah gawd, he’s grabbing that brass ring. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, PetrolCB said:

Good for him. It only took 36 years, but bah gawd, he’s grabbing that brass ring. 

He would have sooner if he used the risk management material his dad wrote for him. 

• Like 1

Just now, Nice Guy Eddie said:

He would have sooner if he used the risk management material his dad wrote for him. 

I’d love to hear the risk management audio book read by Vince Jr.

”I can’t listen to this, GOD DAMN IT! It’s my voice!”

• Haha 1