DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

20 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

It might also save you some trouble to extensively document the lump and show it to anyone you can. 

Dont worry I've got a couple lumps to show you guys.  Check your emails

The right guys won. It was also bigger than this for the precedent it would set. So yeah, thankfully they won and they can both get on with their lives.

Edit: nevermind, no precedent set. Still, the thought of some rich ass doctor being able to sue the shit out of someone for millions because they said mean things and win that lawsuit is kinda scary. I think.

18 hours ago, Tromatagon said:

None of you motherfuckers but Curt talking about wanting a Goldust DVD set makes me think wanting such things should be a requirement for membership here.

I also want unreleased Piper shit

I saw the list and thought “Well, everyone will be clamoring for that Goldust set,” but instead there was silence.

12 hours ago, Victator said:

Will he have to pay their legal fees?

Nope. 

11 hours ago, Craig H said:

The right guys won. It was also bigger than this for the precedent it would set. So yeah, thankfully they won and they can both get on with their lives.

Edit: nevermind, no precedent set. Still, the thought of some rich ass doctor being able to sue the shit out of someone for millions because they said mean things and win that lawsuit is kinda scary. I think.

Punk very easily could have been found liable for defamation per se, to the point where I’m almost surprised he wasn’t.  There likely would have only been nominal damages though.

As for the latter scary situation, it’s already here.  Peter Thiel shut down Gawker via the Hulk Hogan lawsuit because of stories they published about him, and his attorney has continued to file similar suits, most likely with Thiel’s backing.

• Like 1

Foley in his book was careful not to name Dr,Rosenrosen for fear of being sued. This is a case where having a union would really benefit beyond pie in the sky dreams of pensions. A doctor that has to be agreed upon by everyone. 

1 hour ago, JonnyLaw said:

As for the latter scary situation, it’s already here.  Peter Thiel shut down Gawker via the Hulk Hogan lawsuit because of stories they published about him, and his attorney has continued to file similar suits, most likely with Thiel’s backing.

Seems like Gawker could have avoided their troubles by not being shitbags at every turn. I'll never accept the retcon of the noble truth loving Gawker. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, odessasteps said:

In that company, moments are often more important than matches. 

"WE'RE MAKING MOVIES, PAL."

Also, come on; we all want the Goldust DVD.  No one is talking about it because it's a given that we want it.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Beech27 said:

I think there's some recency bias going on with the hypothetical best of the decade's Japanese inclusions--Naito's LIJ run didn't begin until 2015, for instance, and most of what preceded that isn't great--so let me throw out some names that would have gotten more "votes" earlier in the decade and/or simply never had the spotlight afforded to New Japan's top stars, all of whom are still going: Marafuji (who just had two MOTYC candidates against Kento Miyahara), Jun Akiyama, KENTA, Yuji Nagata, Daisuke Sekimoto, Suwama, Io Shirai, Meiko Satomura, et al. (A very top-of-mind list, and thus severely limited, admittedly.)

Also, though he's never getting a big national stage, Chris Hero authored maybe the best independent run ever, and is still tremendous. (Finn and Shinsuke do have that stage, and combined with their Japanese runs, probably deserve a mention.)

I actually thought of KENTA just now myself watching 205 Live but my problem is I wasn't watching much Japan back then, not that I watch a ton now, but more than back then. I did recently watch one of the Daniel Bryan /KENTAmatches from NOAH on YouTube though and I was real into it

4 hours ago, The Comedian said:

So....

Punk/Roman at Mania 36 then?

I like Roman as a worker but he's been so stale along with the other obvious issues-- i can honestly say that would probably be surprisingly good TV if done correctly. It'll never happen but that angle writes itself. Punk in the Austin role and Roman in the Bret role? Come on 

11 minutes ago, Victator said:

I would love it but they will never do a Goldust dvd set. Its pretty clear how they view him. 

True but they could always throw up a collection on the Network. They own 90% of his career. This is why the Network needs an option for putting together a playlist of individual matches. Only thing we'd be missing is the documentary, but how much is there that he didn't cover in his book or on podcasts etc. 

so, seeing Dibiase, Slaughter, and Rude on that list got me thinking. best 80s WWF wrestler that hasn't had a career dvd?

edit: Greg Valentine is the dvd set that i'd be most interested in. it would have to include NWA of course.

Jimmy Snuka is the name i'm most surprised hasn't had one yet. ditto Cowboy Bob Orton.

• Like 1

I'd stay away from a Jimmy Snuka set for obvious reasons. The Raw tribute was bad enough. Just off the top of my head, I don't think any of these guys have a had dvd set:

British Bulldogs/Davey Boy Smith

Ricky Steamboat

Harley Race

Haku/Meng

Don Muraco

Tito Santana

Paul Orndorff

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I like Roman as a worker but he's been so stale along with the other obvious issues-- i can honestly say that would probably be surprisingly good TV if done correctly. It'll never happen but that angle writes itself. Punk in the Austin role and Roman in the Bret role? Come on 

I'd do it the other way around. Roman calling out Punk for his UFC failures and blaming him for the fans turning on him. Punk eventually answers the challenge, promises to make Roman look strong. Road To Wrestlemania TM is filled with shooty promos about who goes on last, match is probably just spammed Spear/GTS and Shitty Top Rope Elbow/Spear counters on repeat.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Victator said:

As Black Reign?

1PW in the UK booked a Dustin Rhodes vs Christopher Daniels match, but on the day of the show announced both men had food poisoning and two replacements had been sourced. At which point, Curry Man and Goldust came out for a match

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Just watching some of the Big Cass thing from last night, why is WWE insistent on presenting their main heels as these cheap-suit-wearing blokes who deliver deliberate and monotonous promos? They even tried to do with with Kevin Owens, and it sucked. Have we got Chris Jericho to blame (who rocked doing it as it was very nuanced and unique at the time) from his epic run and feud against HBK?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1