DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

Thinking about the in ring wrestlers of this decade so far and I've come up with:

Daniel Bryan

Kazuchika Okada

Hiroshi Tanahashi

AJ Styles

Tetsuya Naito

Cesaro

Sasha Banks

Brock Lesnar (more for 2012-2015, less for 2016-2018 with the odd exception)

• Dolfan in NYC changed the title to JUNE 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION
7 hours ago, The Natural said:

Thinking about the in ring wrestlers of this decade so far and I've come up with:

Daniel Bryan

Kazuchika Okada

Hiroshi Tanahashi

AJ Styles

Tetsuya Naito

Cesaro

Sasha Banks

Brock Lesnar (more for 2012-2015, less for 2016-2018 with the odd exception)

No Omega or Asuka? Otherwise that's looking pretty solid. Is it insane to put Roman in the conversation?

• Like 1

We should probably look at the ones they can fuck up the least. In my estimation that probably means DiBiase, Slaughter, Rude, and the ECW championship are a lock. Andre is not going to have enough Japan or the recently unearthed French Catch to make it worthwhile. Goldust will be interesting (it looks like they already have it all laid out). How the fuck are you going to make a Best of Strowman?!

• Like 1

For that WWE list, take off all compilations of current wrestlers. Not with the time.

That leaves me with Rude, Slaughter, DiBiase, and history of the ECW Championship. DiBiase's would be awesome now that they own the Mid-South/UWF footage.

Re: Wrestler of the decade, Roman Reigns absolutely deserves to be mentioned. He would probably end up in my top five if I had to make a list.

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

No Omega or Asuka? Otherwise that's looking pretty solid. Is it insane to put Roman in the conversation?

Cheers. Asuka and Omega I forgot. I thought about Roman. Thinking on, he has a case with the Shield matches and singles vs. Lesnar (WrestleMania XXXI) Styles and Bryan.

• Like 1

For the Network, a while ago NJPW did a History of the IWGP Jr TItle series that basically used clips and end match  highlights of major matches and title changes through the belt's history.  I really wish they would do something like that for the WWE Title.

1 hour ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Well lets be honest, Roman is way better than Sasha or any other woman on the roster except Asuka. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Victator said:

Well lets be honest, Roman is way better than Sasha or any other woman on the roster except Asuka. 

I don't necessarily disagree but I've seen way more Roman matches than, for example, pre-main roster Charlotte so that's why I lean that way a bit

I think there's some recency bias going on with the hypothetical best of the decade's Japanese inclusions--Naito's LIJ run didn't begin until 2015, for instance, and most of what preceded that isn't great--so let me throw out some names that would have gotten more "votes" earlier in the decade and/or simply never had the spotlight afforded to New Japan's top stars, all of whom are still going: Marafuji (who just had two MOTYC candidates against Kento Miyahara), Jun Akiyama, KENTA, Yuji Nagata, Daisuke Sekimoto, Suwama, Io Shirai, Meiko Satomura, et al. (A very top-of-mind list, and thus severely limited, admittedly.)

Also, though he's never getting a big national stage, Chris Hero authored maybe the best independent run ever, and is still tremendous. (Finn and Shinsuke do have that stage, and combined with their Japanese runs, probably deserve a mention.)

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

How the fuck are you going to make a Best of Strowman?!

The series of matches against Roman.. The recent Finn matches. There was a really good match against Owens earlier this year. The multi-man matches with Lesnar all had great Braun performances. The matches with Big Show. The greatest Royal Rumble for his victory there. This year's Elimination Chamber for his monster performance. Not that a best of should happen yet, just its easier than you think to make.

25 minutes ago, Eivion said:

The series of matches against Roman.. The recent Finn matches. There was a really good match against Owens earlier this year. The multi-man matches with Lesnar all had great Braun performances. The matches with Big Show. The greatest Royal Rumble for his victory there. This year's Elimination Chamber for his monster performance. Not that a best of should happen yet, just its easier than you think to make.

I stand corrected. But yeah, it shouldn't happen yet. 

Well yeah, you shouldn't be doing a lot of these newer people until they win the big belt for their brand so you have the moment for the end of the doc.  The GRR is so not that moment, but they'd probably try to make it that moment.

20 minutes ago, Eivion said:

All the squashes are fun enough to be on there. These are not some legit best ofs, these are the old school Coliseum video profile pieces. So the squashes and feat of strength fit in there. 

2 hours ago, Eivion said:

Last Man Standing versus Sami Zayn!