DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

New Shield DVD full match listing, a disc for each member:

http://www.wrestlingdvdnetwork.com/full-match-listing-wwe-the-shield-justice-for-all-dvd/155106/

Glad the Shield triple threat from Battleground 2016 is there as is Seth Rollins Gauntlet match from this year. See why Roman Reigns match with Triple H at WrestleMania XXXII is on but the match sucks and be better replaced by the great AJ Styles matches at Payback/Extreme Rules 2016. I'd say Roman's is the weakest of the three discs.

• RIPPA pinned and featured this topic

WWE should try to freshen up Money In The Bank by barring former winners and WWE champions from entering. This would make it more exciting because we would have some intrigue on whether the cash in would work. The early years with Edge and Punk were more exciting because they had never been champion. 

I was watching old Georgia wrestling and they ran a very exciting tournament where the winner got to face the NWA Champion. NXT should run a tournament where the winner gets a MITB spot. Do the same thing for the Royal Rumble. I'm disappointed the tag team MITB did not happen. But it would suffer like the women, because a lot of the teams have been champions at least once. 

• Like 6

I am too lazy to look but wasn't the one that Cena won a match where you had to be a former World Champ to be in it (or something close to that)?

2 hours ago, The Natural said:

http://www.wrestlingdvdnetwork.com/full-match-listing-wwe-the-shield-justice-for-all-dvd/155106/

Glad the Shield triple threat from Battleground 2016 is there as is Seth Rollins Gauntlet match from this year. See why Roman Reigns match with Triple H at WrestleMania XXXII is on but the match sucks and be better replaced by the great AJ Styles matches at Payback/Extreme Rules 2016. I'd say Roman's is the weakest of the three discs.

Yeah, that Roman disc is trash.  

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I am too lazy to look but wasn't the one that Cena won a match where you had to be a former World Champ to be in it (or something close to that)?

Yeah, was watching it on Youtube and thought having no former champions is more interesting. 

2 minutes ago, Victator said:

Yeah, was watching it on Youtube and thought having no former champions is more interesting. 

Oh I agree it just made me realize that I think that was the only time a MITB had a theme (beyond just being a single brand match)

• Like 1

The most interesting winner to me was Damian Sandow. Because I was really wondering if he would win. The cash in had a lot more drama than I had expected. Though I was also invested because I really wanted him to win. 

Sandow is a guy I am a big fan of. A talented journeyman wrestler that can slap on any gimmick you need him in. I have been watching him in OVW as Aaron "The Idol" Stevens. He would really go all out on anything given to him.  

• Like 1

Talking about MITB Ladder match, I was anxious Daniel Bryan was going to be the first to cash the contract in and fail. Fortunately he didn't. 

The three failures:

John Cena in 2012,

Damian Sandow in 2013,

Baron Corbin last year. 

In all the contract uses, only two were announced by the holder in advance: RVD to John Cena in 2006 and John Cena to CM Punk in 2012. Very few have because its giving up that advantage of surprise. 

I think they should actually make that mandatory if they insist on keeping the gimmick, the phrase "Mr Money in the Bank", constant cash-in teases and the succession of paper champions it crowns have worn very thin

It would allow them to rotate in some unlikely-seeming midcard title challengers without completely burying them if they fail to win the title match

• Like 1

6 hours ago, The Natural said:

Link warning:

Shit, I was so excited to get that NXT "Secret to Sensation" set for $5 ... only to learn that $5 Friday was LAST GODDAMN FRIDAY.

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

In all the contract uses, only two were announced by the holder in advance: RVD to John Cena in 2006 and John Cena to CM Punk in 2012. Very few have because its giving up that advantage of surprise. 

57 minutes ago, Firebreaker Chip said:

I think they should actually make that mandatory if they insist on keeping the gimmick, the phrase "Mr Money in the Bank", constant cash-in teases and the succession of paper champions it crowns have worn very thin

I enjoyed how Lucha Underground shit on the gimmick, with Cueto saying something about how nobody would be allowed to "cash in" the Gift of the Gods at a moment's notice because, as a good promoter, he needed time in advance to advertise the match and make money.

The "cash in" thing had some internal logic at first, with Edge doing it twice because he was a scumbag heel, Punk doing it once because Edge was the victim and again because he was going heel.  Now it's just an accepted part of the gimmick that MitB is essentially a license to steal a title, which is just dumb.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, The Natural said:

How the is it that none of Roman's good matches made it in? None of the AJ feud making it in is just ridiculous.

EDIT: The most egregious thing is that there isn't one damn Braun match.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Eivion said:

How the is it that none of Roman's good matches made it in? None of the AJ feud making it in is just ridiculous.

Yeah, guessed one Reigns/Styles match would miss out but it's criminal none make it. Two of Roman's best matches period. Hope to see them go at it on PPV again at some point. 

35 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

I enjoyed how Lucha Underground shit on the gimmick, with Cueto saying something about how nobody would be allowed to "cash in" the Gift of the Gods at a moment's notice because, as a good promoter, he needed time in advance to advertise the match and make money.

The "cash in" thing had some internal logic at first, with Edge doing it twice because he was a scumbag heel, Punk doing it once because Edge was the victim and again because he was going heel.  Now it's just an accepted part of the gimmick that MitB is essentially a license to steal a title, which is just dumb.

Off the top of my head, haven’t most of the winners been heel, thus the justification for the surprise cash in makes a little more sense.

Roughly a dozen of the were heels at the time of their wins and that isn't including Punk since I know one time he was a face but I didn't remember the other time

It is a little wonky though since Ziggler was clearly a heel when he won but he was the face when he cashed in (since it was against Alberto)

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Oh I agree it just made me realize that I think that was the only time a MITB had a theme (beyond just being a single brand match)

Not quite. That match in 2012 for the red case was indeed former champions only. But the red case match in 2013 was advertised as an All Star match. 

Lawyers aruing about whether or not the jury should be allowed to see Kane choke slamming Punk through a table is the most surreal sounding shit I've ever heard.

Punctuated by the Judge saying

"Who is Kane?"

2 hours ago, Firebreaker Chip said:

It would allow them to rotate in some unlikely-seeming midcard title challengers without completely burying them if they fail to win the title match

I don't know- I think the "make the MITB winner call their shot in in advance" and ""only non-WWE Champions/briefcase winners" rules don't really jive together. 

Having the surprise element works, since the surprise element usually leads to a loss, and the "no former champs" rule makes that better because by the element of surprise, you're virtually guaranteed "Every year, you will have at least one first-time World Champion"- and even if people would long for everyone to hold the World Title in the company, having about one-two people hold a World Title for the first time a year is about the right amount for WWE a year.

Too few first-time champs a year and the show gets stagnant, but too many and the title means nothing. 

Having said that, it'be a hard road for the women's side to do non-champions/briefcase holders: If the women's match seems dire anyway, trying to make a good eight-woman MITB match out of a list of:

Dana Brooke, Ember Moon, Liv Morgan, Ronda Rousey, Ruby Riott, Sarah Logan, Billie Kay, Peyton Royce, Lana, Mandy Rose, Sonya Deville, Tamina, Maria, Zelina Vega

would be worse. 

17 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

Lawyers aruing about whether or not the jury should be allowed to see Kane choke slamming Punk through a table is the most surreal sounding shit I've ever heard.

Punctuated by the Judge saying

"Who is Kane?"

"That's got to be, that's gotta be Kane!". 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

So looks like East Coast indy wrestler Rockin' Rebel killed his wife and then himself this morning. News stories haven't released a name so far but everyone is saying that Rockin' Rebel is the murderer

• Sad 2

30 minutes ago, Brysynner said:

So looks like East Coast indy wrestler Rockin' Rebel killed his wife and then himself this morning. News stories haven't released a name so far but everyone is saying that Rockin' Rebel is the murderer

He always did strike me as a seedy/scummy guy but Christ I never would've expected that. My God.