DVDVR Message Board

[NXT] May 30, 2018 TV Show

MonteCarl

7 minutes ago, MonteCarl said:

That was a damn good hour of professional wrestling. Concise. To the point. Logical. All roads lead to Takeover: Chicago, and it's looking like it will be a hell of a show. Plus.....THIS

https://streamable.com/x0q3x

EDIT: I can't embed the clip, but......look at it anyway :)

Those are some Elton John glasses.

Ricochet is beyond cool. He made hurdling the ropes into a forward flip look as easy as breathing. Dream's reaction was priceless, too. That has "match of the night" written all over it. 

The woman's match and final segment was really great. The Shayna/Dakota match was perfect. The Nikki angle was amazing. It was such a great retelling of high school nonsense -- the jock bully torments a nerd and then the loner everyone thinks is a lunatic knocks the jock on his ass. Nikki doing the whole "babyface in the crowd" just added to the unhinged nature of her character. Like... this woman really believes she's the champion. Shayna looking legit scared and baffled was really great, too.

Bianca Blair is going to rule.

• Like 2

Ricochet doesn't do much for me on the mic, but that segment was nice for Dream and that final flip by Ricochet.

Lars/Black segment was nice.

I assume Gargano's next feud after the streetfight is with EC3.

Dug the hell out of Shayna/Dakota. That was so perfect with Shayna just bullying Dakota early on before turning into a mean bitch whenever Dkota tried to stand up for herself. The post match stuff with Nikki was good as well. Shayna just look bewildered during so much of it.

Watched for the first time in a while last night and remembered why a show as good as NXT became so easy to skip for me - Mauro's commentary during the Ricochet match had me wanting to throw my TV out the window.

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, JonnyLaw said:

We’re they going for a face or heel reaction on that Bel Air video?

I couldn't tell but I felt like it veered heelish with her "I've always been better than everyone else and used to hold myself back" but the rest felt like a face. 

I also enjoyed Dakota/Shayna/Nikki. Just good all around from the match to the post match stuff. 

My only complaint is that I'm not thrilled with that being the way they debut Dijak. I wish he got to show off a bit more in what felt like an enhancement match. Everything else on the show I loved. The seeds are also now there for Gargano to feud with EC3 after this stuff with Ciampa.

13 hours ago, Greggulator said:

Ricochet is beyond cool. He made hurdling the ropes into a forward flip look as easy as breathing. Dream's reaction was priceless, too. That has "match of the night" written all over it. 

tumblr_p9kkgriBwg1u1ljrzo3_500.gif

tumblr_p9kkgriBwg1u1ljrzo2_500.gif

• Like 1

I'm not having much interest in this Takeover,  feels like the weakest one yet to me, but I did dig the Lars/Black segment a lot and feel like that could be a sleeper hit as a match so I am looking forward to that at least. Lars has a weird charisma about him that I dig. Ricochet doesn't often do much for me but I do think he and Velveteen should end up a pretty awesome match anyways. Bianca Belair still the best.

12 hours ago, Godfrey said:

Sometimes things happen in wrestling that are so rad that my genuine reaction is just to laugh. That Ricochet flip was one of them.

My exact reaction. I couldn't even hold it back. It just basically jumped out of me. Such a fucking cool thing to do.

• Like 2

That Ricochet deadlift vertical on Dijak was impressive as hell, too. I think Dijak came out of it looking good due to the length and pace of the match. I hope they either update his look or lean way into the 90's thing, because right now he looks like a WCW Saturday Night jobber. Give him a jacked Devon Sawa gimmick or ditch the frosted tips and spastic tights.

ECIII has looked like a c-level guy so far; the finisher's not great, the entrance music is terrible, and his "yell my catchphrase twenty times a match" schtick is My First Gimmick 101 (see also: Kona Reeves). Getting his match interrupted by the Gargano/Ciampa angle didn't help any. I'm sure they've got plans for him, and I know he's got great character work in him, but I'm not seeing much at all so far.

Damn, Dijak was surprising good (first time seeing him myself), so much so that he didn't get overshadowed by Ricochet.

Dream is the enhancement talent we need but don't deserve. Like every feud he is in, he makes the other talent look great; that's the reason why they keep putting him in with talent with limited charisma. The thing is... he's too good at doing his job (and doing it without relying on a chant).

I can't believe  Nikki Cross enacted TNA rules, she truly is loco.

On 5/31/2018 at 2:32 PM, DreamBroken said:

I'm not having much interest in this Takeover,  feels like the weakest one yet to me...

That’s the thing about Takeovers: I’ve thought that a few times too and have come out loving the show. 

• Like 1

On 6/1/2018 at 8:43 AM, JonnyLaw said:

I wonder if they’re not as high on Dijak as they thought they’d be since he seems to be mostly tag teaming with Brennan Williams on house shows.

It's possible they simply think that's the best way to use him right now, since the midcard and up is fairly stacked right now.  They have yet to do anything substantial with EC3, and Keith Lee will be there soon.  

Besides, Dijak wasn't that big of a deal before he was signed, and he isn't significantly better than anyone they're pushing right now.  He's a better in-ring worker than EC3, but he's about as interesting as dry toast. 

I don't typically ever think about wrestlers in a "hot prospect" kind of way. Like the rookie shortstop you think will be the next Omar Vizquel, you know?

But with the Dream, I can't help but think that we are seeing the start of something that will become very very special. He understands the character work so well, he keeps improving in the ring constantly, both with the actual physical aspect and the facials/selling/pacing. 

I find it really cool to be seeing a guy put it all together piece by piece. 

9 hours ago, grilledcheese said:

I find it really cool to be seeing a guy put it all together piece by piece. 

The great thing is that we were witness to his process.

Remember his milktoast patriotic-ish gimmick before? Like the only thing that stood out was how athletic he was and how he wasn't lost in the ring.

• Like 1

Watching Dream go from the guy who should've won Tough Enough to a true star has been great and it's all the better because he's earned it. I still think the gimmick has a ceiling as is (IC title tops) but the guy has talent to spare and there's no reason he couldn't tweak things and go all the way.