DVDVR Message Board

The 2018 NBA Finals: Cleveland vs Golden State

Dolfan in NYC

Pretty sure there was zero chance of him staying beyond this season once they fucked up the Kyrie trade so colossally. He'll go to the next team, pressure their management to gut their future for the short term, and kill a coach or two, all while Cleveland rebuilds and then he can wrap up his career "back home" and retire a hero, lol. I appreciate LeBron's greatness but shit... Motherfucker givin Tyronn Lue anxiety. I wonder what Kevin Love will be like when he's not teaming with LeBron next year. Here's hoping he finds something of his Minnesota form because he was a blast to watch back then. I'm sure they'd find a way to make it work because people were saying the same thing when CP3 joined, but I cannot envision a trio of James/CP3/Harden working. ESPN had an article up trying to answer the question of whether LeBron makes his teammates better and the answer was: kind of. If you're a guy wanting the ball and trying to create your own shot, not likely. If you're a guy who can catch and shoot, yes.

Just as important as LeBron's destination will be what the fuck happens in San Antonio regarding Kawhi. When healthy, he's got the potential to be the second best player in the league with how immense he is defensively and how his jumpshot developed.

I'm thinking LeBron pours every ounce of his being into game 3 to avoid the sweep and then it's over after that. I'd love to be wrong here and we end up with a competitive series but I don't see it.

Regarding the Bulls/Warriors talk, beyond all the better individual matchups I just want to see the Green/Rodman fireworks.  As much of a pest as Green is I think Rodman may have been even more adept at it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I think it also comes down to are Curry/Durant assassins in the same way Jordan was.  I don't believe KD is, maybe Curry has a little more of that in him but he's not as durable. 

This just shows how checked out on this finals pretty much everyone is.   Cleveland is a shitshow around LeBron.  We're only discussing the Bulls because JR Smith and George Hill and Lue and all these guys are somehow playing major roles in this series. 

Who guards KD in that hypothetical matchup? He's got the athleticism of Jordan but he's like 7'1" and a legit all-time great shooter. Even with three of the best one on one defenders of all-time, that matchup is a nightmare.

Otherwise, Golden State plays a more complex and intelligent defensive scheme, have better shooting, and have Green, KD, Klay and Iggy to at least make Jordan and Pippen have to work to score. Kukoc couldn't stay on the floor defensively. Rodman had virtually no offensive game. You'd constantly have to weigh Harper's size, athleticism and playmaking against Kerr's shooting.

The Warriors are more athletic, better shooters, and have better schemes on both ends of the court. MJ was amazing, but I don't see how he wills his way past the Warriors having the second, either third or fourth, fifth, sixth and eighth best players in the series.

I don't want to get into this discussion too much because my love of the Bulls of my childhood is so strong, but I will say if you asked me to name 5 players in NBA history to line up across Kevin Durant, Scottie Pippen would be on that list. 

Also, the answer to this has always been the same: What rules are we playing in, because if it's the 90's rules, the Bulls win, and if it's current, the Warriors win, because the way the Bulls played defense back then just wouldn't fly today. But if the Warriors were put in that game they'd just get the shit kicked out of them physically. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Pippen is one of the greatest defenders ever, But KD is twenty pounds heavier, 5 or 6 inches taller, and probably more athletic. 

Twenty Pounds heavier, but not as physically strong. Pippen would have problems guarding Durants jumper, no question, but I couldn't see Durant driving very effectively on Pippen.

On 6/5/2018 at 11:11 AM, El Dragon said:

Twenty Pounds heavier, but not as physically strong. Pippen would have problems guarding Durants jumper, no question, but I couldn't see Durant driving very effectively on Pippen.

What if Kevin Durant is on Jesus mode like he was tonight?

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Nobody on the Warriors would be checking Michael Jordan either lol.  They couldn't check Chris Paul.  But that aside,  break out the brooms.  The offseason has begun.  

Chris Paul was so unable to be checked that he hurt himself. That's greatness right there.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Chris Paul was so unable to be checked that he hurt himself. That's greatness right there.

Like how Steph goes in and out of being hurt depending on which way the wind is blowing :lol:

I'm not one for recency bias.  KD is great.  We'll never know what he would have done with his own team.  

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Like how Steph goes in and out of being hurt depending on which way the wind is blowing

Only one of them spent this year's WCF GM 7 (@ home) on the bench as a spectator while the disembodied spirit of his fellow teammates floated away by the 4th quarter.

47 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I'm not one for recency bias. 

Bullshit.

Would Jordan score on them? Of course.

Would Klay/Iggy/KD/Draymond have a better chance of slowing Jordan (and Pippen) down/making them work for points/making them less efficient than anyone on that Bulls roster would Durant? Absolutely.

How are you going to have an objective discussion on this? You can't, because not only has the game evolved, athlete conditioning, nutrition and training regimes have tenfold.
MJ and Rodman were outliers in the 90s for incorporating weight training into their training. The senior-citizen Bulls of 97/98 were of the outgoing generation of players still living of Booze and McDs.

Neither team would exist as constructed in the other teams era.
97 Durant would be an underweight center being mauled by the likes of Shaq and the Admiral.
18 Pippen would probably be the size of Lebron.
97 Curry is 97 Steven Kerr.
18 MJ would probably shoot 50% 3FGA and average a REAL triple-double, not the gaudy-RW ones.

10 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

What if Kevin Durant is on Jesus mode like he was tonight?

That wasn't Jesus mode.  Jesus was a man of peace and goodwill..

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

I have my doubts that seven more possessions per game would see MJ averaging 4+ more boards and 5+ more assists per game, but okay...

It's actually 3+ Rebounds and 4+ Assists when Mj was RW's age.

So what you are saying is that 2018 Russel Westbrook and 2018 James Harden would average 1993 Jordan numbers in 1992? 

I went with the year you pulled, 97.

Edit: if we go with his age 29 season, he's only getting half a possession more per game. Age 28, he loses hair a possession.