DVDVR Message Board

Guys you like in current wrestling but are still fast forward material

goc

As I was watching Raw and skipping past the Alberto Del Rio match, I couldn't help but think about how if I actually watched Albert Del Rio vs. Kofi Kingston I would find it to be surprisingly good and much better than my expectations. But I went right on ahead and skipped past it anyway. ADR is in a weird spot for me as a guy who I actually like a lot, and feel he always steps up his game for PPVs but whose segments on weekly TV I find to be complete fast forward material.

So, thinking that I can't be alone in my feelings about being conflicted between liking a guy's matches but finding yourself uninterested in watching them, who else fits this criteria for you guys? Sheamus was also in this zone for me before his injury.

I actually think ADR is the perfect secondary champ, he would have fit right in as the US Champ in JCP. The problem is that they've never given him a decent feud since his introductory one with Rey. The feud with Ziggler looked promising, until they shunted him down the ladder. RVD does nothing for me.

• Like 1

Sheamus for me. I enjoy his matches for the most part but any time he's doing something other than wrestling, I fast forward. Heck, I even fast forward most of his matches on RAW however will sit through his ppv stuff b/c it's generally pretty good.

This is pretty much the entire WWE roster for me at this point.

For me, the TV shows isn't so much about the wrestling. It's about the characters & the stories. Right now, the stories & characters all suck. So it's skippable. Especially with Monday Night Football going on. Even if it's a Raiders blow out.

Alberto Del Rio, Christian, Cody Rhodes, Damien Sandow, etc.

None of them are bad, they're just boring.

Whenever two people come out, I just ask myself what this guy is doing & why should I care. The answer is almost always WWE has to kill time & I shouldn't. Rematch #15 is not interesting. Midcard matches happening for no reason is not worth sitting through. I would honestly rather see squash matches. At least then you get to see a guy look strong & see his damn finish.

• Like 2

I actually think ADR is the perfect secondary champ, he would have fit right in as the US Champ in JCP. The problem is that they've never given him a decent feud since his introductory one with Rey. The feud with Ziggler looked promising, until they shunted him down the ladder. RVD does nothing for me.

This is true. A lot of the ADR apathy is due to the fact that he's been booked like shit FOREVER now. His only real feud was with Rey, it's true. Maybe a little bit with Edge. Everything else is just who he is challenging/who is challenging him for the World Title at the moment. The guy could be an awesome heel if he was actually given something of substance.

Damien Sandow is another person who is almost automatically fast forward material, even though I don't dislike him. I just don't care about him because they've never given him anything interesting to do.

• Like 1

Whenever two people come out, I just ask myself what this guy is doing & why should I care. The answer is almost always WWE has to kill time & I shouldn't. Rematch #15 is not interesting. Midcard matches happening for no reason is not worth sitting through. I would honestly rather see squash matches. At least then you get to see a guy look strong & see his damn finish.

I never understood why after WCW closed up shop, WWE didn't transition back to more squash matches. When so much of their business is based on PPV revenue, why would you keep rolling out matches that would sell PPVs on free TV? 

I get that the networks are paying WWE big money to have PPV quality shows, but there is something in between giving away PPV matches, and five minute squashes.  Especially when so much of the show is talking and other non-wrestling stuff anyway.  Why not have main events be US/IC/Tag Title matches, and save the Heavyweight matches for special occasions/PPV?  If you wanna get Cena on the show, have him in a tag/six-mans, make that the main event, and give some other guys the rub working against/teaming with him?  Why not showcase mid card guys in 10 minute matches against each other?  Why not have the guys at the top of the card work straight squashes against some of the NXT guys that they don't have a gimmick for yet, or they are leaning towards cutting loose?  For example, why not have Mark Henry destroy Vader's kid before you release him?  Or, why not have that Cesario/Zayn match on Raw? 

• Like 1

Hey buddy, you take your crazy no good ideas out of here. They'll run rematches of PPV bouts for free the night after the PPV and you'll fucking like it. 

What's next? You gonna tell me they should book titles to mean something? Ya Nut job.

• Like 7

Wade Barrett. Part of it is because it frustrates me that they don't give him more to do, and part of it is because as a guy who ranks at least an 8/10 in my "big 3" categories (look, mic skills, offensive sets), he's just so BLEH. Kofi was a good answer too. Sheamus, ADR, RVD, and Curtis Axel all fall in this for me. 

As far as Del Rio goes, if they're going to insist on putting the "Big Gold" on him long-term, why not use him to transition guys from tag teams/mid cards to the main event scene? Would anyone here complain about a three-month Titus O'Neil/ADR feud? Cody Rhodes? Big E. Langston?

I would say ADR, Sheamus and Sandow are my big three. In a vacuum their work is great.  But how many months of unmemorable programs can you handle until you tap out?

I actually watch most 3MB matches. You never know when Slater or Drew Mac are going to sell like madmen and make their opponents look like $150 million bucks.

The only thing I fast forward through are Diva matches (and not as much recently with AJ as champ). However,there are matches and segments I will give my undivided attention to and the ones where I be checking things out on my laptop or phone. I'll always pay attention to Daniel Bryan, Shield, and CM Punk stuff, and lately anything involving the Corporation. Also, if you pay close enough attention, you'll see just how damn good the Usos are in tag matches (and I hope they are a team long enough to get the belts).

I do not desire to see an Alberto del Rio & Titus O'Neil feud. Because I love the Prime Time Players, and I think both of them are money in the future. Titus isn't the only star in that group, not by a longshot.

Titus I think still needs a little more protecting in a tag team. He is great when he gets a hot tag, but still looks a little lost as to what to do next once he's been in there a few minutes.

And the Usos should never be broken up. How do you push two identical twins seperately after the inevitable initial feud? There needs to be more teams that stick together for years. Hell, I guess you could push one or the other, but they should always remain connected.

I think the Usos have singles potential. All you have to do is make sure they wear different color tights. Not that I think it should happen any time soon, but an amicable split that results them winning the IC and US titles around the same time seems like a pretty easy midcard angle to book. As much as people long for the good old days, tag team wrestling is a dead end in WWE, and both of those guys should at least get a shot at singles. I think the last team to be worth more as a unit than individuals for their entire careers was The Dudleys.

As for this question, ADR is the best answer. It feels like he's fought every midcarder like 1000 times already. And even though I love Cesaro, I often skip Real American tags. Swagger's every bit as boring as Cesaro is awesome.