DVDVR Message Board

NXT TAKEOVER: CHICAGO II - 6/16/2018

Dolfan in NYC

Starting this because of new news about one of the matches.  Currently, the card is:

FOR THE NXT CHAMPIONSHIP - Aleistar Black (c) vs. Lars Sullivan

FOR THE NXT WOMEN'S CHAMPIONSHIP - Shayna Baszler (c) vs. Nikki Cross

FOR THE NXT TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP - The Undisputed Era (O'Reilly/Strong, c) vs. Oney Lorcan/Danny Burch

STREET FIGHT - Tomasso Ciampa vs. Johnny Gargano

Velveteen Dream vs. Ricochet

Spoiler

So the news that came out today, was that Ciampa/Gargano was originally supposed to be a Last Man Standing match, but that got vetoed because Nakamura/Styles at MitB got that stipulation instead.  So they settled on a Street Fight.  (and it still should have been 3 Stages of Hell)

Spoiler

A street fight feels a bit weak considering that is more or less what their non-sanctioned match was. LMS would have only been so much better. Honestly a cage match or HIAC would have been ebtter.

• Like 2

Spoiler

A Pete Dunne vs. Adam Cole match would be nice, but I can't see them putting both titles on the line and with the UK tournament right after Dunne shouldn't lose and Cole probably shouldn't be losing the NA belt yet either.

Pete Dunne has fucked up my brain when it comes to wrestling. No matter if it is the right choice or the smart thing to do as far as furthering a story, I just never want to see him lose. I dig his shit too much. I'm not sure I have ever had that thought about any wrestler. Maybe Dr. Wagner Jr., but I seem to be mostly okay when he drops a match for the most part. Negro Casas is another one that I feel like should never lose, but it doesn't bug me when he does.

• Like 1

On 5/25/2018 at 9:25 AM, Eivion said:
  Hide contents

A street fight feels a bit weak considering that is more or less what their non-sanctioned match was. LMS would have only been so much better. Honestly a cage match or HIAC would have been ebtter.

Same here. LMS or HIAC for the win.

On 5/31/2018 at 8:49 PM, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

That world title match sounds super interesting, and it’ll probably be my least favourite match of the night. Can’t wait. 

I don't think the title match sounds that interesting. I think it's way too soon for a Lars Sullivan title match, and I like Lars. I'm far more interested in the rest of the card. I'm a little disappointed Adam Cole isn't defending the North American title, but I imagine he'll make his presence felt in the tag match.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I don't think the title match sounds that interesting. I think it's way too soon for a Lars Sullivan title match, and I like Lars. I'm far more interested in the rest of the card. I'm a little disappointed Adam Cole isn't defending the North American title, but I imagine he'll make his presence felt in the tag match.

I’ve seen two pretty good Lars matches against Roddy, which consisted of Roddy beating the shit out of Lars, Lars shrugging it off, and Lars destroying Roddy.  If they follow a similar pattern, it can work.

4 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I don't think the title match sounds that interesting. I think it's way too soon for a Lars Sullivan title match, and I like Lars.

That's why I find it so interesting. I love when someone gets hotshot into a top spot. Even if the match isn't great, it's a fresh match and you know the guy's motivated. 

Calling it now, but I feel Dream/Ricochet's going to be WWE's MOTY.  I was really blown away by how outstanding their match was at the Bel Air house show (we really didn't deserve such a match.  There's a good reason it's been called fake Baltimore)  As much as people like Dream they're going to be super impressed with how well he's able to keep up with the frenetic pace that Ricochet brings.  And dare I say he more than held his own even if it was in defeat.  As good as that was knowing they're going to finetune it and deliver an even better match for Takeover has me super excited. 

It is a little from Column A and a little from Column B

Some of it came from when the saw how successful the original Brooklyn weekend was that they got the idea to start pairing the big shows. (Though it didn't become official official until Brooklyn II)

They always want to do 5 shows (2015 and 2016 were a little weird since they had that London show in Dec that screwed up the calendar) and if they only ran a show on Big 4 PPVs - they would have a 4 - 4 1/2 month gap between shows between Mania and Summerslam

But like how WNBB said - it seems more like it is a Chicago thing than a MITB thing since last year the Takeover was in May and was paired with Backlash