DVDVR Message Board

NXT TAKEOVER: CHICAGO II - 6/16/2018

Dolfan in NYC

Did you hear the referee when Ciampa went to use his shirt on Gargano? Ref said aloud "No choking, no choking!" That's a big WWE no no, it got Daniel Bryan the sack when the Nexus attacked for the first time on RAW in 2010.

2 hours ago, Casey said:

The only nitpick I had was the obvious plant in the crowd with the sign that had a stop sign in between the poster board. That could have felt more natural, but, fuck it, who cares really.

I believe (and someone can correct me) that that was a nod to an ECW spot during the ongoing Dreamer/Raven feud that saw Hat Guy or Sign Guy holding the sign that was used by Dreamer. Doesn't make it any less obviously a plant, but I liked the nod. 

3 minutes ago, Liam said:

I believe (and someone can correct me) that that was a nod to an ECW spot during the ongoing Dreamer/Raven feud that saw Hat Guy or Sign Guy holding the sign that was used by Dreamer. Doesn't make it any less obviously a plant, but I liked the nod. 

It was a nod to Dreamer/Raven. Since it was, I was ok with the ECW chant after.

• Like 1

If anyone is curious, they taped these two matches before the event (not spoiling the results despite the tag):

Spoiler

War Raiders vs The Mighty 

Dakota Kai vs Bianca Belair

I think both are worth checking out on Wednesday.

25 minutes ago, Overly Critical Man said:

I am so freaked out at how dark and bushy Hunter's beard is.

The older Haitch gets, the more I like him. For the most part, he no longer tries to be "cool", and that makes him cooler to me. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Note that the pants were a play on Prince Puma. 

The pants were literally Ricochet's. From the "Wait! I know who you are!" match in PWG.

3qrqx5omwh411.png

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Eivion said:

I think its from merch sales and signings.

And now that I think about it, they have the whole "idol" thing over there - so lots of outside money to be made from videos and photoshoots. I don't know if Kairi did it, but the Shirai gals surely have over the years. 

12 hours ago, L_W_P said:

Someone else mentioned he would be the 3rd memeber of the Fashion Police.

The dudes that couldn't get on Smackdown regularly in spite of being really over?  Same dudes that generally job when they they do make tv?  Not sure that's much better than "nothing".  Might as well slot Dream in as Sister Abigail or bring back Santino and reveal that Dream is actually his cobra/

12 hours ago, DreamBroken said:

Tag match was very good for a match I had no interest in going in. Lorcan/Burch never felt like a threat to the titles so the outcome was never in doubt but very good stuff overall.

I wasn't as sure about that, because it's not really clear to me there's a whole bunch of teams for UE to beat and I figured that Lorcan/Burch might have transitioned the belts to TM61. 

Undisputed Era were over as fuck tonight, and Lorcan/Burch had to win the crowd over. I think they did that pretty successfully - a good coming out party for them.  Not sure they're the new DIY, but they showed they were  more than capable of having a Takeover level match.

• Like 2

I only watched Dream/Richochet and the main event so far. 

Dream/Richochet ruled. That was exactly what I wanted from them. Richochet is still new to me since I haven't watched Lucha Underground (my fault, not yours). But I have got into a lot of Richochet high-spots videos on YouTube. I will always, always, always love high-flyers. Bonus points if they can actually work a match with psychology. Richochet can absolutely do that. He reminds me so much of when Rey first his US TV. It's just a perfect combination of these breathtaking moves no one ever knew possible (20 years after Rey et al) really captured well within pretty natural storytelling. And Dream is seriously amazing. I was describing Dream's character to a friend of mind who isn't caught up on NXT. A Prince-influenced Golddust meets a theater diva spotlight hog? It's like James Gandolfini - no one else could possibly play Tony Soprano. This is Dream's character and his alone. The end was great. Dream's hubris in trying to outduel the best high-flyer alive finally cost him, which gave Richochet the break he needed. I love those types of matches. Dream has this and the Black match under his belt already. A+ stuff. 

And that main event was so over-the-top and crazy. That wedding ring deal was so nasty. Loved the Chekov's Gun ending with the exposed wood. Just a crazy-ass wild brawl and exactly how that match should have been laid out and worked.

1 hour ago, Captain Kronos said:

The older Haitch gets, the more I like him. For the most part, he no longer tries to be "cool", and that makes him cooler to me. 

He is literally becoming Obadiah Stane, and I fucking love it.  He has the air of the guy that is comfortable in the spot and confident it's his, so he doesn't have to bother with the bullshit.

• Like 7