DVDVR Message Board

NXT TAKEOVER: CHICAGO II - 6/16/2018

Dolfan in NYC

Main event was good, nowhere near as good as their first go round though. Hell In A Cell Summerslam weekend?

The botch hurt the title match but at least it wasn’t the finish. The crowd would have really shit on them if it had ended right then. 

Good show but probably the worst Takeover in quite some time. 

• Thanks 1

The only reason why the botch hurt at all (especially given the blood) was because the announcers were terrible at covering for it. In the grand scheme of the match, it came off as a protection of the Black Mass more than anything else, but the announcers didn't know how to sell it as such.

10 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

The main roster has a tall task ahead of themselves tomorrow.

We say this every Takeover, as if this show is about to inspire the main roster to have a great PPV the next night...

I wish it did, but it doesn't.  We're getting the same crappy show tomorrow whether NXT is great or not.

• Like 1

I'll be the first to say that the ending to the main was horrible. Miss me with that DDT finish bullshit. That was hands down MOTY, and it gets fucked up in 10 seconds.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Ciampa winning seems like an odd decision. I get it. Gargano cost himself by stooping to Ciampa's level. It should have been falls count anywhere and Gargano wins after he drives Ciampa through the table from the stage.

• Like 3

Tag match was very good for a match I had no interest in going in. Lorcan/Burch never felt like a threat to the titles so the outcome was never in doubt but very good stuff overall.

Liked Dream/Ricochet a lot for the most part. Felt predictability hurt it a bit as well because none of the near falls were very believable but they got a ton of time and Dream shined big despite losing as usual. The pre-match feud video was excellent. Cut from a reality show, "The Dream doesn't remember that"

Shayna/Nikki felt like a throwaway match when first announced, the segments building it up got me into it, then the match ended up still feeling a bit nothing to me. Good finish though. Loved Lars/Black as the match I was most looking forward to. Felt bad for the botch but thought they recovered well and grabbed the crowd back in for the finish, protected Lars and the Freak Accident. Big fan of Lars so far, there's no one else I really care to see dethrone Black right now.

lol @ finisher in handcuffs, POP UP to win. Been beyond sick of that feud since it started.

Leave Velveteen Dream out of the main roster unless he fits 205 Live which I don't think so.   First of all I don't know if he is ready in the ring skills wise but maybe a house show run could help that.  Most importantly I don't trust the RAW and Smackdown guys to have a clue what to do with him.  Figure they will just turn him into his original Prince rip off character

14 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Leave Velveteen Dream out of the main roster unless he fits 205 Live which I don't think so.   First of all I don't know if he is ready in the ring skills wise but maybe a house show run could help that.  Most importantly I don't trust the RAW and Smackdown guys to have a clue what to do with him.  Figure they will just turn him into his original Prince rip off character

Someone else mentioned he would be the 3rd memeber of the Fashion Police.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

In many ways, the show peaked at the tag match. Hard-hitting and I liked how KOR showed ring awareness in kicking the official tagged-in guy while locked up himself. That apron bump was not needed, OUCH! Really good stuff.

Dream amplifies everyone he works with. I hope they don't take that for granted and decide he's over enough and never give him a championship run. Felt a bit low because of the high of pre-build hype, but both guys looked good. 

Women's match was nothing until Cross passed out while laughing. Great touch, but everything leading to that was meh.

Hope Sullivan's jaw is OK, he took a bad hit. The botch toward the end was unfortunate, but they recovered fine. Lars has potential, he may need to get to the main roster to fully cash in on it. Not sure what's left for him to do in NXT, as he likely won't get another shot at the NXT championship and I don't see him going after Cole. I'm hoping they find a way to work Dream back into contention and have him be the one to uncrown Black.

I'll have to sleep on the main event before I know how I fully feel about it. It wasn't bad at all, just not sure how to articulate what I'm thinking. Ciampa is psychotically heel and I enjoy his character work, that's for sure. I do like how they showed that becoming something he really isn't, Gargano lost and Ciampa got two victories in the end, by making Johnny break away from his morality. 

A mixed bag for me. By no means a bad show, but it didn't quite hit the high notes most say NXT always does.

• Like 1

The UW vs. Oney/Burch was good stuff.

Dream/Riccochet was good though maybe not quite the level I was hoping for after Dream's last big singles match.

Shayna/Cross was the worst match on the card and still managed to be pretty solid with a good story with how much Nikki threw Shayna off her game. So happy they went with Nikki smiling as she was going out.

Black/Lars was damn good. Even that botch at the end didn't hurt as much as it could have. Knew Lars had more going for him than people were giving him credit for. I also think this was one Black's better performances with the leg sell and his reactions to Lars catching him at every Black Mas attempt. That said, I'm totally ready for Ciampa as champ.

Ciampa/Gargano was great. I loved Ciampa spiting on Johnny's ring before throwing it away. Gargano just losing it was fantastic and I loved how it eventually caught up to him with the finish. The next time these face off it better be for the NXT title.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, L_W_P said:

Someone else mentioned he would be the 3rd memeber of the Fashion Police.

I mentioned in one of the nxt threads that Dream would fare about as well as Tyler Breeze on the main roster. 

• Like 1

Tyler Breeze is also tiny.  Velveteen has some size on him, and he's completely believable in the ring.  He understands his character.  The issue is what parts of his character you dial up when he goes to the roster, and what kind of storylines you base off it.  And, understandably, there are reservations.  But ultimately, I think he'll be fine, because he's probably has the most charisma since The Rock, and he can carry himself in a match. 

That tag title match was fantastic. I really love everyone involved, even if Danny Burch is at the bottom of that list. I didn't really dig Shayna/Nikki, but like the tag title match competitors, I love Shayna's style so I was entertained (but wasn't super blown away or anything). I wasn't too impressed with Ricochet/Dream either, if I'm being honest. It just didn't click for me. And I'm not entirely sold on Velveteen Dream yet. The character is pretty good, but in-ring he's pretty damn generic in my opinion. I skipped over the NXT title match, because I knew Black was winning and Lars doesn't interest me so it was entirely skippable for me.

Now, that main event though. It bolstered the entire show up (for me). Before this, only one match was doing it for me, but the Street Fight was fucking incredible. This was everything their first match should have been, and much more. I don't know about star ratings and shit, but on a scale of 1 to 5 on how much it entertained me, it's like a 7. Some of the spots made me cringe, look away, and jump in my chair. The only nitpick I had was the obvious plant in the crowd with the sign that had a stop sign in between the poster board. That could have felt more natural, but, fuck it, who cares really. Like others have said - the wedding ring spot was fucking dastardly.

Side note - I get people like Keith Lee and other new hires being shown in the crowd (to an extent), but I don't see the point in showing actual NXT workers in the crowd like EC3 or Kairi Sane. To pop the crowd or whatever, sure, but we all love to go on about kayfabe... why the fuck were they sitting in the crowd instead of backstage? You could say they were scouting (Kairi was shown before Shayna/Nikki, right?), and in EC3's case it even makes sense for him to do that since he's an egomaniac and would want to be seen... but why is Kairi out there in the crowd watching a match with a fuckin' spyglass?

• Like 2

Just got done watching this show.

Amazing main event by Tommaso Ciampa and Johnny Gargano bringing the physicality and intensity even with the finish shenanigans and the match stipulation. What a bastard Ciampa was getting Johnny Wrestling’s wedding ring, spitting on it and chucking it away. Liked the attires by both, Johnny’s was Captain America’s inspired and Ciampa with the camouflage pants. Ciampa gets the win so decider perhaps at NXT TakeOver: Brooklyn IV?

Hot open with Roderick Strong/Kyle O’Reilly vs. Oney Lorcan/Danny Burch. That got my interest as going in, it wasn’t there. I have this as the second best match behind the main event.

Enjoyed Shayna Baszler vs. Nikki Cross more than the two Ember Moon/Bazler matches. Cross plays the character well with her unpredictability. Bazler using her hand over mouth to Nikki. Great seeing the finish I predicted actually happen with Nikki Cross smiling getting put to sleep.

Aleister Black/Lars Sullivan was good with the monster big man and Black fighting from underneath. Shame about the Black Mass botch.

I liked Ricochet/Velveteen Dream with the story of them one upping each other. Amazing the distance covered by Ricochet and Dream’s Shooting Star Press and Purple Rainmaker respectively.

20 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

I've said it before, but Tomaso Ciampa is the devil. It's perfect.

I'm so pissed he won, in the right way. Fucking bastard tapped more than once damnit.

The heat Ciampa gets. The crowd was pissed with Ciampa's win with the show closing out to "Fuck you, Ciampa!" chants.