DVDVR Message Board

SOLO: A Star Wars Story (SPOILERS!)

GuerrillaMonsoon

On 5/28/2018 at 6:33 AM, The Natural said:

Reasons I've come up with:

Word of mouth and the production troubles. 

Was a Han Solo film necessary? 

Lack of interest compared to The Force Awakens, Rogue One and The Last Jedi. 

Avengers: Infinity War and Deadpool 2 competition. Jurassic Park: Fallen Kingdom and the Incredibles II will damage/take screenings from Solo too. 

Moving from May to December. Since Star Wars returned in 2015, all but Solo came out in December. 

Too many Star Wars films. 

The Last Jedi feedback. 

I'm casual to Star Wars and a recent convert so you'll know better than me when it comes to them. 

Here's one you're missing: No one wants to see anyone other than Harrison Ford in the role

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Betsy Zeidler said:

Yep, that's good old Harry ford.

That's his secret, Captain.  Harrison Ford has always been just a competent actor.

For fun, take every role Ford has ever done.  Now imagine Dennis Quaid doing it.  There's no difference.

• Like 3

Saw it yesterday. It's a perfectly inconsequential fun time at the movies. I liked how much the movie harkened back to Lucas's original Kurosawa and western influences, specifically in the last act. I was surprised at how emotional I got by Han and Chewie's first encounter. My wife leaned over and said, "Aww their best friends," and I thought about the end of TFA and got misty. It sort of made me happy that anything post ROTJ can emotionally resonate like that for me. 

A lot of the performances are very good, and Ehrenreich is fine throughout, but he definitely suffers the most from the reshoots as sometimes he's much closer to the spirit of Solo in the original trilogy than others. It could have used a stronger story, but ultimately it's very effective at putting Han together with a series of characters that are mirror images he learns from to inform the person he is by ANH. I bought that journey, so any of the films other weaknesses (or the lack of necessity for the film at all) didn't bother me much. 

I'm curious if the Crimson Dawn stuff goes anywhere now that the likelihood for another Han movie is slipping away.

One minor peeve I had that I didn't see mentioned is the Empire using the John Williams march score in their advertising for joining up as a recruit. Stuff like that drives me nuts, like when Mario Van Peebles is humming the Jaws score in Jaws The Revenge. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Victator said:

Someone told me Darth Maul made an appearance, is that true?

That's what's in those spoiler tags, homey on Page Two. 

The criminal organization that Solo does jobs for is Crimson Dawn aka the organized crime syndicate that Darth Maul uses as a front to overthrow Palpatine.

A plot carried over from the Disney XD television show, Star Wars:  Rebels.  A plot which has as its improbable premise that Maul survives being cut in half by Obi Wan during the Battle of Naboo.

7 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

It's a brief cameo presumably (presumed by myself) designed to set up a sequel that has to have no chance of being made.

This is (of course) speculation, but I don't think the plan is or was ever that Maul would get his own movie, but that he'd show up in the pending Boba Fett movie (being a crime boss now) and the rumored Obi Wan movie.

1 minute ago, Beech27 said:

This is (of course) speculation, but I don't think the plan is or was ever that Maul would get his own movie, but that he'd show up in the pending Boba Fett movie (being a crime boss now) and the rumored Obi Wan movie.

This makes sense. I don't think you want Han to get any deeper into Maul's shit, because you don't want to undercut his skepticism about the Force in ANH. 

Making the individual character spinoffs an unofficial Crimson Dawn trilogy is a neat idea. Fett can tangle with another underboss figure in his movie and Maul can have a final showdown with Obi Wan in that solo movie. 

On 6/4/2018 at 10:08 AM, J.T. said:

That's what's in those spoiler tags, homey on Page Two. 

The criminal organization that Solo does jobs for is Crimson Dawn aka the organized crime syndicate that Darth Maul uses as a front to overthrow Palpatine.

A plot carried over from the Disney XD television show, Star Wars:  Rebels.  A plot which has as its improbable premise that Maul survives being cut in half by Obi Wan during the Battle of Naboo.

That isn't a plot carried over from Rebels. Crimson Dawn was never mentioned or hinted to in the show and was likely long dead by the time Maul appeared in Rebels. He was however in a criminal organization during Clone Wars where the plan was to take out Palpatine. Crimson Dawn seems to be a second try at the plan.

22 hours ago, (BP) said:

Making the individual character spinoffs an unofficial Crimson Dawn trilogy is a neat idea. Fett can tangle with another underboss figure in his movie and Maul can have a final showdown with Obi Wan in that solo movie. 

Yeah, the final showdown with Obi Wan happened already, that wouldn't be in a movie, at least not the "final" one.

1 hour ago, Raziel said:

Yeah, the final showdown with Obi Wan happened already, that wouldn't be in a movie, at least not the "final" one.

I thought 

Spoiler

Maul dies on Tattoine in their final confrontation?