DVDVR Message Board

SOLO: A Star Wars Story (SPOILERS!)

GuerrillaMonsoon

Saw Solo.

It is not a very good film at all. Missed opportunity.

That was... Not a good movie.

Boring story that went too long. Way too light on nostalgia and laughs, just because Rogue One threw a bunch of new characters up, doesn't mean it worked here. Ending was bafflingly Russorific. Waste of time better spent on either a Solo/Hutt film or a Lando film. 

I wanted a Roddy Piper Solo, I feel like I got Zach Morris.

4/10

That's a damn shame.  I don't know how they could have fucked up what should have been a slam dunk concept.  But they somehow pulled it off.  I'm sure Donald Glover was awesome as Lando, but how much was he in there?  And is there enough of him to justify catching this one day?  Because other than him I have no interest in this at all.

Bit like a surround the rookie QB with established vets scenario. Donald Glover was good with what he had, but simultaneously a) not on screen enough/enough to do, and b) still overshadowed Alden Ehrenreich.

Woody Harrelson was good too, but the character was poorly thought out. Emilia Clarke's character was awful. 

Yeah, I have heard that they tried too hard to make Solo a likeable rogue instead of letting him do his dirt and letting the audience make up their mind about him.

Too bad.

My cousin caught a screening last weekend.  It was interesting to see that this movie is basically the bridge between the new movies and the SW: Rebels animated series on Disney XD since they're running with the angle that:

Spoiler

Darth Maul is a gangster and is creating a criminal empire to bankroll a coup that will overthrow Darth Sidious / Emperor Palpatine.

Darth Maul showing up introduced some serious timeline issues, both retroactively in this movie and going forward in the Star Wars universe:

1)  The Empire isn't The Empire until the end of Revenge of the Sith, yet Maul showing up in Solo places this movie prior to the events of Phantom Menace seeing as how he is killed at the end of TPM.  So how can Han join The Empire that hasn't even been formed yet?

2)  Now that Solo is established as happening prior to TPM, and TPM is set 32 years before ANH, exactly how old is Han supposed to be in ANH?  Let's say he is between 16 - 18 in Solo, that would make him *48 - 50* once we first see him in ANH!  Yeah, no way.

5 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Darth Maul showing up introduced some serious timeline issues, both retroactively in this movie and going forward in the Star Wars universe:

1)  The Empire isn't The Empire until the end of Revenge of the Sith, yet Maul showing up in Solo places this movie prior to the events of Phantom Menace seeing as how he is killed at the end of TPM.  So how can Han join The Empire that hasn't even been formed yet?

2)  Now that Solo is established as happening prior to TPM, and TPM is set 32 years before ANH, exactly how old is Han supposed to be in ANH?  Let's say he is between 16 - 18 in Solo, that would make him *48 - 50* once we first see him in ANH!  Yeah, no way.

No. But the fact you have these concerns means that they messed up in assuming people know Rebels, which is frankly a crazy assumption to make.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

1) Like Matt said, the timeline synchs up well provided that you watched SW: Rebels, which many of us did not do since it really is written with older kids in mind and not everyone has the entire Disney package in their cable channel line-up.

2) In space, not all humanoids are created equal.  Corellians may not age the same rate as other humanoids in the galaxy.  Also, bullshit metachorians may be a factor given Anakin and Padme's age discrepancy between TPM - AoTC.  This probably would affect Luke's aging rate as well.

Or more simply put, Lucas never gave a shit about age and story continuity, so why should you? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I don't think your reaction was at all unwarranted. The fault is not yours. I'm vaguely annoyed I've been spoiled to all this, by the way, but I'm also not going to be able to see the movie for a few months, most likely, so on some things I have to cut my losses. I made it through both Avengers and Last Jedi without being meaningfully spoiled (though I had to go see Last Jedi by myself which is not something I had done in 36 years previous). 

30 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I did not watch Rebels, and just now did some research w/r/t Maul & the show, so, uh, ignore everything I just said, ha!

It's not your fault that Disney is mixing and matching SW canon without letting you know which source it came from.

I am a professed nerd and I can say that I did not bother tuning in to a show on a channel devoted mostly to older children just to keep myself caught up with SW mythology.

That thing is an aha moment / Easter egg / nerdgasm moment to reward the diehards that actually keep up with that shit.

It's like when you were in the theater watching Deadpool and like only two or three of you knew who the fuck Hydra Bob was.

Doesn't this takes place after Revenge of the Sith as Maul survived his TPM cutting in half and falling down a drainpipe minor inconvenience thing?

Poorly edited, stilted dialogue, way too many cliches and not enough Chewbacca still. The scene on Paul Bettany's ship where we see Emilia Clarke's character talking to Han is shockingly bad. Like you can tell they must've reshot parts of it months later and then just plugged them into the edit like it would work no problem. It really didn't. Also way too much CGI. 

On the plus side Darth Maul, and Alden wasn't THAT bad. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, King Leonidas Of Sparta said:

Doesn't this takes place after Revenge of the Sith as Maul survived his TPM cutting in half and falling down a drainpipe minor inconvenience thing? 

Based on my math and going off of stuff Lucasfilm has published, Han is about ten during the events of ROFTS, so I guess this takes place around ten years after that. 

20 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Maul was revealed to have survived during the Clone Wars series. Even his starting a criminal organization began then. He even took over the Mandolorians for a short time.

12 hours ago, RolandTHTG said:

His girlfriend becoming a sith apprentice is the bit that gets me.

How is her knowing how to fight somehow being a Sith apprentice? All she did was seemingly take over for role Dryden had which was the face of the Crimson Dawn.

On 5/24/2018 at 9:26 AM, J.T. said:

Yeah, I have heard that they tried too hard to make Solo a likeable rogue instead of letting him do his dirt and letting the audience make up their mind about him.

Too bad.

My cousin caught a screening last weekend.  It was interesting to see that this movie is basically the bridge between the new movies and the SW: Rebels animated series on Disney XD since they're running with the angle that:

Hide contents

Darth Maul is a gangster and is creating a criminal empire to bankroll a coup that will overthrow Darth Sidious / Emperor Palpatine.

This is more a young Solo learning to become like that. A part of its still there, but he doesn't take it seriously enough at times and its gets him into trouble.

Also as I said before the stuff with Maul began back in Clone Wars.

20 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

This doesn't give a real sense of time line, but with how powerful Crimson Dawn is I would guess this is probably 5-10 years post.

I actually just saw it a couple of hours ago. I enjoyed the film. Glover was good as Lando. Alden was solid as Han. Chewbacca was fun whenever he was on screen, and most of the new characters were neat while they lasted. This is a young Han who is still fairly naive though not a complete idiot either. The story kind of explains how Han pretty much became the Han we know from later on in the original trilogy while also showing how the relationships with Chewie and Lando began.

EDIT: Also just throwing this out there, but you people should really check out Rebels. Its a good show and gives us a pretty good version of Thrawn. It and Clone Wars are both cannon and have some good stuff well worth checking out.

• Like 2

Maul was talking about her taking over Dryden's role. The only apprentice Maul has ever been interested in is Ezra in Rebels. Why the would Maul want an adult apprentice with no abilities in the Force? You are reading too much into this.

• Like 1

It was pretty much the ratio of nerd fanservice (teras kasi!)/summer action/flimsy cornball characterization I excpected, and fun enough. Certainly nowhere near the trainwreck (ha...) some feared, or otherwise franchise besmirching. Sure I’d have liked a more brave origin than “Han was such a good man all along!” and the notion that he accidentally bankrolled the rebellion is really cringe—it’s a galaxy, not everything needs to be connected... But it’s a franchise prequel, so it does; these sort of competing interests are always gonna be a hurdle. Honestly Lando’s droid hamfistedly lecturing a black man (which I know doesn’t matter in their galaxy, but we’re watching in ours) about equality for laughs was the only total miss for me; Star Wars was better off staying far, far away from the “are robots people?” question if this was the approach they’d take.

(I’d make a joke about people on a pro wrestling message board dismissing Rebels as “for kids”, but I’m here too.)

It's definitely a bomb.  Worldwide numbers are looking horrific.  We saw it earlier and I don't think it was all bad.  The kid who plays Han Solo was ok I guess but I didn't care about him either way.  Emelia Clarke has quite the losing track record going with her Hollywood roles.  Glover was pretty awesome as Lando though.  I dug that.  I always dig Woody.  

This whole Disney thing is starting to look a lot like the prequels.   Two mediocre films,   one good film and one film that nobody cared about.  So I guess Lucas wasn't the problem eh?