DVDVR Message Board

MAE YOUNG CLASSIC 2018

RIPPA

I also had time to kill today in between presentations so I was trying to figure out people based on countries.

The WWE said there will be 12 countries represented this time (there were 17 last time)

Again - all pure speculation on my part

• US - This will be half the field. Kaitlyn and Kacy Catanzaro are already in
  • Australia - Rhea Ripley. Potentially Toni Storm (though they could decide that this year she represents England)
  • Philippines - Vernice Gabriel
  • South Korea - Mia Yim (based on who she represented last year)
  • Puerto Rico - Mercedes Martinez (based on who she represented last year)
  • Wales - Nixon Newell/Teagan Nox (based on who she represented last year)
  • China - Xia Li 
  • India - Kavita Devi
  • Mexico - Zeuxis
  • Japan - Io Shirai confirmed. Potentially Meiko Satomura
  • England - Jinny
  • Canada - Nicole Matthews

Countries represented last year that I didn't use: New Zealand, Germany, Scotland, Dominican Republic, Brazil, Tonga

Philippines is a 1st time this go around.

Of the 12 I listed - most likely to get bumped would be South Korea, Wales and Puerto Rico since I am basing that on people returning from last year. I can't envision them not representing Mexico, China and India. 

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

A more athletic Billie Kay might be the way I describe her

I would argue a much more athletic Billie Kay if Billie Kay was doing a cross between Alexa Bliss and Catrina from Lucha Underground.  She plays a really mean and manipulative person very well in Progress.   Not sure how that would translate in this tournament though.  As a wrestler she is solid but not spectacular.

9 minutes ago, nofuture said:

And it would be good.  Shirai's the perfect opponent for her.

Not even remotely. Io is wonderful, but 50/50 in how well she works with gaijin due to semi-laziness. 3-6 months in WWE I would have a lot more faith. Right now not especially.

Kaitlyn came and went during my break from wrestling so it will cool to see her for the first time. Stoked to see Rhea Ripley back cause she has huge potential and it'll be interesting see how much she's advanced off screen (same for Taynara Conti is she's in it too). So excited to see how Meiko does as she's my favorite female wrestler. I'm being realistic and thinking she loses in the semis to the eventual winner (Io or Storm) but I would pay many dollars to see a Satomura/Baszler title match if it's in the cards.

If Meiko actually is in I want her vs. Toni in semi-finals or final. I feel like they have a much better match in them than what they did in Stardom back in February. I recall Toni and Kairi proving they did last year.

On 5/25/2018 at 5:54 PM, DreamBroken said:

Would've loved last year's dark match (Deonna/Jessica James v. Nicole/Barbi Hayden) to end up meeting again this year in the actual tournament, if Deonna was available.

Halfway there, assuming Deonna is in. Happy to hear Nicole Matthews is in, great talent. Nicole and Billie Kay had some awesome matches back in Shimmer. Also very excited for Kacy Catanzaro.

Barbi Hayden is a yuck no. Saw her and a rookie two months in face the Reality of Wrestling champion (whose name escapes me), and the rookie had BY FAR the better match.

Jinny is a great heel whose personality work is absolutely top notch. If they let her do her character she'll have Full Sail absolutely hating her before her match begins. Her wrestling is improving, but she's still mostly about some cool moves rather than being a complete wrestler.

• Sad 1

Thinking about it - some of the random names from the Performance Center that I could see being in are

Aliyah - Similar to say where Lacey Evans and Bianca Belair were last year when they were in it. Plus allows them to have another non-American (Aliyah is Canadian)

Jessica Elaban - They need first round fodder and The Jessie Show just tweeted that she is getting to go on her first NXT road tour (the West Coast one next week). Plus, she is a goofy babyface that people dig.

Shadia Bseiso - She has gotten heavily featured due to being their first woman from the Middle East to sign. Would represent Jordan. Has very little training but that didn't stop them from putting Kavita Devi in last year.

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Aliyah - Similar to say where Lacey Evans and Bianca Belair were last year when they were in it. Plus allows them to have another non-American (Aliyah is Canadian)

Didn't she actually lose a match to participate in the tournament to Belair last year? I hope she does get in this year.

• Like 1

On 7/13/2018 at 1:05 PM, RIPPA said:

I also had time to kill today in between presentations so I was trying to figure out people based on countries.

The WWE said there will be 12 countries represented this time (there were 17 last time)

Again - all pure speculation on my part

• US - This will be half the field. Kaitlyn and Kacy Catanzaro are already in
  • Australia - Rhea Ripley. Potentially Toni Storm (though they could decide that this year she represents England)
  • Philippines - Vernice Gabriel
  • South Korea - Mia Yim (based on who she represented last year)
  • Puerto Rico - Mercedes Martinez (based on who she represented last year)
  • Wales - Nixon Newell/Teagan Nox (based on who she represented last year)
  • China - Xia Li 
  • India - Kavita Devi
  • Mexico - Zeuxis
  • Japan - Io Shirai confirmed. Potentially Meiko Satomura
  • England - Jinny
  • Canada - Nicole Matthews

Countries represented last year that I didn't use: New Zealand, Germany, Scotland, Dominican Republic, Brazil, Tonga

Philippines is a 1st time this go around.

Of the 12 I listed - most likely to get bumped would be South Korea, Wales and Puerto Rico since I am basing that on people returning from last year. I can't envision them not representing Mexico, China and India. 

Considering Mia lives with Jessamyn and Baszler, I assume she's a lock and I'm shocked she isn't already in NXT.

4 hours ago, nofuture said:

I'm honestly surprised Aliyah is still around.  She's been on the roster the longest out of all the women and still isn't even a semi-regular on the NXT and is usually just fodder for the Coconut loop.

Ironically....

So who knows if they were just doing something different or maybe they are moving her away from wrestling

• Like 2

BTW - Renee Young followed a whole lotta people on Twitter yesterday so some folks are all CLEARLY THIS MEANS THEY ARE IN THE TOURNAMENT!!!!

One of them was Sienna - who was just announced as having left TNA