DVDVR Message Board

MAE YOUNG CLASSIC 2018

RIPPA

Joining them as part of the Mae Young Classic broadcast team will be Cathy Kelley and Shadia Bseiso, who will conduct backstage interviews with competitors throughout the tournament. Hailing from Jordan, Bseiso is the first woman from the Middle East to be recruited into WWE’s developmental system, training at the WWE Performance Center. Kayla Braxton will serve as the tournament’s ring announcer.

I want partial credit!

http://www.espn.com/wwe/story/_/id/24318709/wwe-beth-phoenix-renee-young-feature-mae-young-classic-commentary-team

That is the ESPN story that focuses on the announcing with quotes from Cole, Beth and Renee

Interesting nugget in that article

"Renee and Beth know what they stand for and they know what they want to say and we're going to allow them to have those opinions and tell those stories," said Cole. "There is some controversial stuff that these wrestlers have been through. We're going to talk about that even if some think it's the wrong thing to do, because it's the right thing to do because these women's stories need to be told."

4 hours ago, nofuture said:

So they've dropped the Netlfix "drop everything at once" model and are back to a weekly schedule after NXT.

I would have preferred Mauro. He always gets super excited and probably knows more about the women involved than anyone else doing the announcing so Cole is kind of disappointing even if it is w/o Vince in his ear.

They never used the drop everything at once model. The CWC was weekly while the first MYC was 4 episodes a week. Looks like they are using the CWC model this time.

Guest Edwin
2 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Meiko got a nice reaction. Toni and Io got the biggest reactions. This can't air fast enough.

Toni Storm and Raechel Evers got the loudest reactions.

Edit: Lacey Lane and Aerial Monroe got the loudest reactions.

Guest Edwin
Just now, Eivion said:

I was just talking about the Parade of Champions. I'm not at the show. How was it?

It was fun, but a lot of the matches were pretty rushed.

I'll post spoilers with some thoughts when I get home.

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Apparently the WWE is trying to cut down on spoilers

He got caught posting GIFs that's why. It was only a matter of time

I enjoyed the show tonight. Won't spoil anything but just say that it was awesome to see Meiko live. And Ariel Monroe is the Jazzy of the MYC this year. She was incredibly over.

Guest Edwin
Spoiler

Episode 1:

Tegan Nox def. Zatara -- average/unmemorable

Rhea Ripley def. MJ Jenkins -- average/unmemorable, but both girls were really over, more so Ripley. There was a botched springboard attempt here by Jenkins, but no one really seemed to mind.

Lacey Lane def. Vanessa Kraven -- solid David vs. Goliath type match. Lane was way over and got the biggest pop of the first show. There was a botched spot here from Lane doing one of those Rey Fenix esque rope work leading to an armdrag, but again no one seemed to care.

Meiko Satomura def. Killer Kelly -- easily the best match on this episode and possibly MOTN. Satomura dished out a pretty nasty beating, but Kelly looked good regardless as she was able to keep up with Satomura.

Spoiler

Episode 2:

Deonna Purrazzo def. Priscilla Kelly -- far better than expected/good. I remember someone on here saying Kelly was bad, but she actually didn't look bad here.

Zeuxis def. Aerial Monroe -- fun match. Monroe got the loudest pop on this episode and she looked good as she's really charismatic. I thought Zeuxis looked good as a heel, but she didn't get much of a reaction unfortunately as everyone just seemed to care about Monroe only.

Kacy Catanzaro def. Reina Gonzalez -- another solid David vs. Goliath type of match. Reina is a huge power house and Kacy is extremely athletic and can pull off some amazing spots.

Mercedes Martinez def. Ashley Rayne -- it's either this or the previous match for best match on this episode. Martinez got a nice reaction and both girls put on a solid performance.

Spoiler

Episode 3:

Kaitlyn def. Kavita Devi -- this was alright. Kaitlyn was way over and Devi got some fans behind he, also.

Toni Storm def. Jinny -- this was really good. Storm got the loudest pop on this episode and one of the loudest pops all night.

Xia Li def. Karen Q -- another really good match and the crowd was really hot for this as they did the Low Ki vs. Amazing Red kung fu movie type sequence and Li landed some pretty neat strikes that kept the crowd going.

Mia Yim def. Allysin Kay -- yet another really good match and Yim got the second loudest reaction on this episode after Storm.

Spoiler

Episode 4:

Hiroyo Matsumoto def. Rachel Evers -- another really good match. Evers got one of the loudest pop on this episode and the crowd was split 75 - 25 in favor of Evers. Matsumoto's dropkicks are brutal.

Taynara Conti def. Jessie Elaban -- another really good match. Conti looked great. She worked real stiff and landed some brutal strikes. Honestly a standout performer for me. Would love to see her face Satomura or Matthews.

Nicole Matthews def. Isla Dawn -- another really good, albeit a bit one sided match. Matthews dominated the majority of it and put on a brutal beating on Dawn. Would love to see her mix it up with Satomura or Conti. Heck, I would have loved even seeing her mix it up with Kelly.

Io Shirai def. Xia Brookside -- another really good match, albeit it was really short. Both girls looked really good.