DVDVR Message Board

[NXT] May 23, 2018 TV Show

Peck

Solid angle at the end. Husbands, listen to your wives and not the neckbeards who attend Full Sail tapings. I did enjoy them calling for medical help and, instead, Nigel decided to stroll over. 

The random Coachman cameo in the crowd was hilarious too.

• Like 1

I get why the crowd wanted Johnny to fight on and I know it's an angle, but I was sitting there thinking "Dude, listen to Candice."  If I didn't read the spoilers this should have caused Johnny to walk away for awhile with Ciampa getting more and more desperate to get Johnny back in the ring.

Really liked the Lacey/Sane match.  Just a sense of urgency from both wrestlers you don't see on the main roster.  Definitely Lacey's best match and she's really clicking as a heel.

Other than that, pretty efficient use of the hour.  Every segment built towards something and they got multiple angles over both in and out of the ring.

• Like 2

Hard to have a sense of urgency with 50/50 booking.... Just sayin'... You hit the nail right on the head as to why NXT is the best promotion going today, despite the frequent plundering of top-tier talent by the main roster. It's the scripting and presentation, EVERYTHING means something, there are no wasted interviews, in-ring monologues or other horseshit. If the camera is on a wrestler, there's a reason for it, be it an up-coming match on that show, a future PPV or even just to build the character, there is thought behind it. 

Kairi/Lacey was really fun, easily the most I've enjoyed one of Lacey's matches so far.

The Gargano/Ciampa segment at the end was nice. Ciampa running off a bit freaked out was neat. Even he still has some limits.

17 hours ago, nofuture said:

Lacey/Sane has had 50/50 booking, but each match actually matters and they're not treating it like just another match.

It's hardly 50/50 booking when they're talking about the third match in a trilogy as the blow-off. This is called "building to a payoff", not 50/50 booking.

Has TM61 ever done heel before? Because they seem to be better being heelish.

Kairi Sane definitely has bulked up more.

Damn fine outing for Lars; Ricochet and Velveteen really put him over well. And they are damn fine tag team too.

Ciampa isn't just a mustache twirling villain: he actually showed shock and I dare say concern after Candice got knocked out.