DVDVR Message Board

MCU Trilogy Battle.

Which MCU Trilogy is the best and the worst?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Which MCU Trilogy is the best?

• Iron Man (Iron Man, Iron Man 2 and Iron Man 3)
    • Captain America (Captain America: The First Avenger, Captain America: The Winter Soldier and Captain America: Civil War)
    • Thor (Thor, Thor: The Dark World and Thor: Ragnarok)
    • Avengers (Avengers Assemble, Avengers: Age of Ultron and Avengers: Infinity War)
  2. 2. Which MCU Trilogy is the worst?

• Iron Man (Iron Man, Iron Man 2 and Iron Man 3)
    • Captain America (Captain America: The First Avenger, Captain America: The Winter Soldier and Captain America: Civil War)
    • Thor (Thor, Thor: The Dark World and Thor: Ragnarok)
    • Avengers (Avengers Assemble, Avengers: Age of Ultron and Avengers: Infinity War)

I got it Avengers mildly over Cap. My four favorite MCU films, by a huge margin, are the first two in each of those trilogies, but with Avengers first and AoU 4th. First Avenger slightly above Winter Soldier. I have Infinity War a bit above Civil War, which just edges it for Avengers.

So, Iron Man 3:

My main Iron Man 3 criticism goes to what they did to the Mandarin. Sir Ben Kingsley’s Mandarin was great in the trailers and in the film before the reveal…that he’s played by a drunken actor called Trevor Slattery. The Mandarin is a creation by Aldrich Killian so all the attention is directed at him which gives Killian anonymity to do what he does. I have no problem with Sir. Ben Kingsley’s performance pre and post reveal. I wish we got the Mandarin before the twist for the whole film as he was menacing and Killian was a step down from that Mandarin. We again have a businessman with a grudge like in the previous two Iron Man movies.

My two other complaints: Tony Stark builds crappy suits and when Stark controls the Mark XLII without wearing it, you’re preoccupied if he’s in it or not and if he is, Tony isn’t at risk. I’m not a fan of Tony Stark’s arc reactor getting ditched either. Iron Man 3 is one of the most controversial comic book films ever.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Contentious C said:

Is this something you're basing on reviews of the movie, or just opinions of people you've spoken to? 

People who ask question have never haunted the iMDB message boards for laughs.  Too bad they're gone forever.

19 hours ago, Contentious C said:

Seeing Cap's style of patriotism really just ought to say to the average American: "Patriotism: You're Doing It Wrong".

It is unfair to measure Cap's moon eyed American idealism in the face of Nazi Germany by using the cynicism of modern politics as the yardstick.

The whole point of patriotism is it is hard to do it wrong.  You can still love your country and find fault with its institutions or you can agree with the mandate and still love your country..  

This is why we have a Constitution that protects everyone's inalienable rights.  Too bad that there are too many people these days on both sides of the political spectrum that fail to realize that dissent that is an important part of democracy because it is supposed to lead to a new consensus..

Or at least that is what I was taught in Civics class in middle school.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, The Natural said:

So, Iron Man 3:

My main Iron Man 3 criticism goes to what they did to the Mandarin. Sir Ben Kingsley’s Mandarin was great in the trailers and in the film before the reveal…that he’s played by a drunken actor called Trevor Slattery. The Mandarin is a creation by Aldrich Killian so all the attention is directed at him which gives Killian anonymity to do what he does. I have no problem with Sir. Ben Kingsley’s performance pre and post reveal. I wish we got the Mandarin before the twist for the whole film as he was menacing and Killian was a step down from that Mandarin. We again have a businessman with a grudge like in the previous two Iron Man movies.

My two other complaints: Tony Stark builds crappy suits and when Stark controls the Mark XLII without wearing it, you’re preoccupied if he’s in it or not and if he is, Tony isn’t at risk. I’m not a fan of Tony Stark’s arc reactor getting ditched either. Iron Man 3 is one of the most controversial comic book films ever.

For me The Mandarin didn’t even have to have the magical rings just be the badass from the trailer but I will not accept any argument against them considering Killian and his generic goon’s “super power”. Also agreed the Tony controlling the suit thing sucked as well. Really deflates probably the best scene in the movie in the airplane rescue. 

• Like 1