DVDVR Message Board

SMACKDOWN LIVE TO FOX, OCTOBER 2019

6 hours ago, Raziel said:

Stephanie Levesque is REALLY fucking good at her job.

Paul is pretty damn great in his role also.  Execs and media people all rave about him and he turned NXT into not only a true minor league system but a 3rd brand that will someday be profitable.  And he likes wrestling and he had enough sense to sign a bunch of dudes that would keep the diehards from leaving.  If Samoa Joe, AJ Styles, etc.  were operating at the super indy level that's some eyes that might not be with WWE anymore and the merchandise is flying off the shelves. 

Even if NXT isn't profitable, who cares?  It's developmental.  It's research and development.  That shit never makes money itself, but if it can produce (let's say) one or two main event level stars per year, it'll make the money back in the long run in spades.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Paul is pretty damn great in his role also.  Execs and media people all rave about him and he turned NXT into not only a true minor league system but a 3rd brand that will someday be profitable.  And he likes wrestling and he had enough sense to sign a bunch of dudes that would keep the diehards from leaving.  If Samoa Joe, AJ Styles, etc.  were operating at the super indy level that's some eyes that might not be with WWE anymore and the merchandise is flying off the shelves. 

What Papa H did by bringimg im guys tyst are actually interesting and went away from the Johnny Ace model is what brought me back to watching any kind of wrestling in 13 years. 

HHH with The Network has me over $500 since i heard about it. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

We joke about how terrible the actual shows are but they have tons of talent and a lot of dudes who are over..   I don't know if the shows will ever be good but there's enough there for people to keep watching and that's all that matters. 

It's really interesting that you can just buy a bunch of the best talent, and it doesn't matter how you book them or even if you try to fit them into a mold because they are so charismatic that they keep enough people watching. 

I haven't seen a WWE show in almost two years, but the autopilot nature of the main shows makes a ton of sense from the perspective that it's just easier to buy talent and have them make the most out of your shitty writing than it is to try and write compelling weekly television for one show a week, much less two shows a week. 

Talent can overcome anything but not being used. I think the Invasion was the best in ring period the WWF ever had and it is one of the worst booked too. You can't take the best off the WCW, WWE and ECW rosters and not have great matches.

Which is more or less how it is now. But I watch wrestling for big characters and stories along with the matches. I don't think we will ever see a truly great angle again. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Victator said:

Talent can overcome anything but not being used. I think the Invasion was the best in ring period the WWF ever had and it is one of the worst booked too. You can't take the best off the WCW, WWE and ECW rosters and not have great matches.

Which is more or less how it is now. But I watch wrestling for big characters and stories along with the matches. I don't think we will ever see a truly great angle again. 

Vic, you're first line is perhaps the truest critique of wrestling ever written. Bravo.

• Like 1

It baffles me when people complain about Smackdown or wax poetically about the "Smackdown 6" when, in the last month, we've gotten/are getting:

Rusev/Bryan

AJ/Nak

Bryan/Jeff Hardy

Bryan/Samoa Joe

Which, on average, have gotten 15 minutes a piece.  If you're not happy with that, you're never going to be happy with anything WWE puts on TV.

"

• Like 6

I've been happy with all of that, but I think some of the complaints come from using Bryan to put over Rusev who creative clearly has no plans for except to stomp out any chance he has to get over and AJ/Nakamura hasn't been the feud it should have been given their history. Nearly each match of theirs has had screwy finishes and the feud has been put on the WWE treadmill where it's dragged out and not in a good way.

Again, I've been fine with a lot of it, but even I sat there last night thinking that they killed Nakamura. At first the heel turn seemed like a good idea, but the dude no longer feels special.

Some other complaints I've seen have had to do with where Sanity is and how the women's division is booked on SmackDown. Despite that, there's still a lot of positives that go overlooked, like the tag division on SmackDown, the matches you highlighted, the other potential matches we have, and more.

• Like 1

Side Tangent (or something to just file away)

With FOX completely losing the UFC package - it increases the chances that shows like NXT and 205 Live get put on FS1

Will it actually end up happening - who knows? (Actually probably not but clearly they are afraid to waste money)

16 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I've been happy with all of that, but I think some of the complaints come from using Bryan to put over Rusev who creative clearly has no plans for except to stomp out any chance he has to get over and AJ/Nakamura hasn't been the feud it should have been given their history. Nearly each match of theirs has had screwy finishes and the feud has been put on the WWE treadmill where it's dragged out and not in a good way. 

Again, I've been fine with a lot of it, but even I sat there last night thinking that they killed Nakamura. At first the heel turn seemed like a good idea, but the dude no longer feels special. 

Some other complaints I've seen have had to do with where Sanity is and how the women's division is booked on SmackDown. Despite that, there's still a lot of positives that go overlooked, like the tag division on SmackDown, the matches you highlighted, the other potential matches we have, and more.

But here we are a few weeks later and who isn't better off from Bryan losing to Rusev?  Bryan came back after the loss with a scary intensity and Rusev is so over that Aidan English and Lana are totally over by proxy. 

The other stuff I get - Carmella as champ is about the worst option with the current women's division but they're still majorly featured and usually given 2 major matches/segments on a show where there's only ever 5 or 6 total and Sanity is suffering from being way too similar to a Bludgeon Bros feel. 

And Nak, well yea but I think that comes from our own inflated expectations, where everything past his debut match with Sami has been what it is and it probably isn't changing at this point.  At least it's better than Jinder in the title picture for 6 months. 

Like I said, I understand all of that and I didn't have a problem with Bryan losing to Rusev. I'm just pointing out why other people may have been annoyed with seeing Bryan lose. Rusev desperately needed a big win like that though and I wouldn't be surprised if he won MitB. Seems like the type of booking WWE would go with.

It's worth noting that the Disney and Comcast offers to Fox are something like $50 billion. $1 billion over five years to deal with one night's programming, every week, seems somewhat more reasonable with that in mind.

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Side Tangent (or something to just file away)

With FOX completely losing the UFC package - it increases the chances that shows like NXT and 205 Live get put on FS1

Will it actually end up happening - who knows? (Actually probably not but clearly they are afraid to waste money)

I was thinking about this as well.  UFC still is a nice chunk of the programing on FS1 so they'll have plenty of time to fill.  I wonder if we'll get SD replays, quarterly specials, or WWE 24 style documentaries on FS1?