DVDVR Message Board

SMACKDOWN LIVE TO FOX, OCTOBER 2019

1 minute ago, Victator said:

Could be they are trying to get Friday numbers up. 

It's possible, especially with promotion on MLB and NFL games. Haven't networks tried and failed for a long time now to boost Friday numbers?

9 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Fuck. They're never going to book an angle  again.

Maybe they'll be able to pay Brock for a new contract that has him working a more regular schedule...

Naaaah

Also, likely without a brand split and with each show on a different network, I bet we'll go right back to seeing the same exact shit on each show. I think I hated that the most about the last time they ended the brand split.

• Like 1

I bet the brand split stays the same.  Not sure FOX would want a cliffhanger on Friday being resolved on USA on Monday.  And vice versa.

This deal to me says more about the slow death of network primetime television than the power of WWE.  FOX is clearly getting out of the scripted TV show business and focusing more on live, live, live.  Saturday nights are already sports, Thursday nights will be soon, now Fridays go live.  I can see FOX being an almost exclusively live event channel sooner rather than later and Vince was in the right place at the right time.

The last time Smackdown was on a broadcast network the OG Brand Split was in effect, and Eddy was basically carrying SD along with Rey.  It was still seen as the B show despite having higher viewership because Raw will FOREVER be the Flagship show.  Will it still be live on Fridays? I doubt it, as the production costs for the show would SKYROCKET if the split it from the Sunday-Tuesday run they've been doing for almost 30 years.  $200M/yr is only $3.8M/episode, which puts it at around 1/2 the cost of an episode of Stranger Things.

Just now, Betsy Zeidler said:

The last time Smackdown was on a broadcast network the OG Brand Split was in effect, and Eddy was basically carrying SD along with Rey.  It was still seen as the B show despite having higher viewership because Raw will FOREVER be the Flagship show.  Will it still be live on Fridays? I doubt it, as the production costs for the show would SKYROCKET if the split it from the Sunday-Tuesday run they've been doing for almost 30 years.  $200M/yr is only $3.8M/episode, which puts it at around 1/2 the cost of an episode of Stranger Things.

I doubt Fox would be paying $200 million a year for a taped show.  It's definitely going to be live.

2 minutes ago, The Green Meanie said:

So like FOX, Fox? Or something crappy like FX?

Fox proper

Not FS1 like everyone assumed it was gonna be on

Just now, Betsy Zeidler said:

It's part of the Disney (or Comcast, I guess) acquisition, yeah.

So, obviously it's like when Mr. Fuji sold the contracts of Warlord and Barbarian to fund the Orient Express. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Someone else will produce the shows and they'll just air the shit. Brooklyn Nine Nine was produced by NBC Universal and it aired on Fox. Either that or it will be cheap ass reality TV.

1 minute ago, RIPPA said:

God with all this money - the Main Event for Mania 2020 is so going to be Hologram Undertaker vs. Hologram Andre the Giant

At last, the Saudi prince can book his dream card.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, EVA said:

At last, the Saudi prince can book his dream card.

Sumo guy vs. Indian guy in a 60 minute Iron Man match with Guy in the Crown as the special ref