DVDVR Message Board

SMACKDOWN LIVE TO FOX, OCTOBER 2019

I have no opinion on whether Cormier's commentary is a good thing or bad thing; I just think it's funny when Vince is forced to do things with his company that he doesn't want to do.

• Like 2

Cormier's commentary is good, but I think it's only good when he's in there with Anik or Joe because they're all friends and have a rapport together. Anik becomes the straight man while Cormier and Rogan make it feel like it's buddies talking about MMA, but you know, more informed. At least when Rogan knows who is fighting anyway.

Cormier definitely has a passion for wrestling and WWE, but I wonder how well he gels with everyone else calling wrestling matches. Plus, the whole point to him retiring was to be at home more with his kids. I just don't know how long this will last. Maybe he gets a sweetheart deal and doesn't have to do all of the travel everyone else does.

4 hours ago, Hamhock said:

I have no opinion on whether Cormier's commentary is a good thing or bad thing; I just think it's funny when Vince is forced to do things with his company that he doesn't want to do.

So you love 3 hour Raws then?

• 5 months later...

If this means long form segments like the ones they're rolling out on the WWE PC YouTube channel, then that's fucking awesome news.  

That's low key been the best thing they've put on in years.    (That's  Borash's contribution, right?)

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

If this means long form segments like the ones they're rolling out on the WWE PC YouTube channel, then that's fucking awesome news.  

That's low key been the best thing they've put on in years.    (That's  Borash's contribution, right?)

I'm a little cautious about being too excited, even with that:

From the explanation, it's clear HHH wants "longform segments like the ones on the WWE PC YouTube channel". 

FS1, on the other hand, sees this as "it's a podcast where people talk the news and events of WWE on television." 

...and Coach will be the person hosting it. 

Dave was saying on WOR the other day that it's possible they end up expanding SmackDown to three hours with the third airing on FS1, and WWE getting an extra $50 million a year.

4 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Dave was saying on WOR the other day that it's possible they end up expanding SmackDown to three hours with the third airing on FS1, and WWE getting an extra $50 million a year.

Hopefully Smackdown Live will succeed where RAW and Monday Nitro tend to fail. 

Having said that with how big the roster is, you'd like to think wrestlers would make it with an additional hour.

I honestly don't know if it's possible to do a good three hour show every week. The pressure on the writing, and trying to hold the audience's attention, ends up just being too much.

I mean, if Fox really will pay them the extra money for something that will barely increase costs at all, they'd be crazy not to do it. But I don't think it's a great idea.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Wyld Samurai said:

Wasn't Joey Ryan also on GLOW for an episode?

Yeah, as Mr. Monolopy. So was Laura James. Interesting timing on that connection, since TMZ is saying they've filed for divorce.

The new logo for Smackdown on FOX supposedly leaked and it's... different?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Casey said:

Yeah, as Mr. Monolopy. So was Laura James. Interesting timing on that connection, since TMZ is saying they've filed for divorce.

So it'll be called Smack!Down now? S!D does kind of look like Sid though...

Sid Vicious to WWE! It's confirmed!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Casey said:

"Dope new logo" is overselling things juuuuust a bit. 

1 hour ago, Godfrey said:

So it'll be called Smack!Down now? S!D does kind of look like Sid though...

Sid Vicious to WWE! It's confirmed!

Circle of life.

Also. Kind of looks like one of the spoof “coming this fall to Fox” bits you would see on the Simpsons or Family Guy.

• 1 month later...

From the new WON

FOX had a summit meeting on 7/17 talking to the affiliates about the fall schedule. They spoke about WWE and these were the key points in the presentation. Smackdown will be airing 51 weeks a year on FOX. It will be preempted for the World Series (although it may move to FS 1 that week). There will be a one-hour launch show in late September to build to the 10/4 debut at the Staples Center to introduce the WWE and its talent to the FOX audience. FOX is in talks about getting NXT onto television. While not said, I can definitely see NXT on FS 1 head-to-head with AEW. It’s kind of a no-lose situation for WWE. If the ratings are close with NXT on a weaker platform, it’s a blow to AEW. If NXT does significantly better, yes they did beat WWE but again, are on a stronger station and they only beat the developmental brand. Plus, if it siphons viewers from AEW, even 10 percent, it accomplishes the goal. This is not a done deal yet, but the weekly talk show on FS 1 is a done deal, as has already been announced, with Renee Young as the host. FOX wants everyone to promote WWE as a legitimate sport, not that the outcomes are real, but that it is a choreographed sports presentation as part of a Thursday through Sunday sports block in the fall with the NFL on Thursdays and Sundays and College Football on Saturdays. In mid-September, they will start promoting the 20th anniversary of Smackdown show, which the presumption is will be the 10/4 episode. They pushed at the meeting that there will be a lot of surprises on that show. They are also planning a huge promotion for WWE where wrestlers will be taking a moving truck to big, middle and even small markets to promote the move to FOX. They are also planning a digital primer, where viewers can get a behind-the-scenes look at the product, which will teach viewers inside terms

I like how they're thinking of NXT on FS1 as a way to hurt AEW's ratings, but with DVR the whole argument is kind of pointless to me.  If it was the late 90s then that might hold more water.

3 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I like how they're thinking of NXT on FS1 as a way to hurt AEW's ratings, but with DVR the whole argument is kind of pointless to me.  If it was the late 90s then that might hold more water.

Not necessarily - if you assume most places are using Nielsen ratings and Nielsen either uses live viewing on live viewing + same day DVR viewing (at least in the common reporting you see). The average person - most likely - isn't going to be able to watch their recording in time.

Yes it wouldn't affect overall viewing - especially assuming Turner/TNT would get the reports that show how many people watched their AEW recording withing 3 days (and how many watched within 7 days) - but look at now.

RAW and SDL ratings are reported as live viewing. We never hear about the "(insert number here) people watched RAW within the week"

So - technically - yes it would hurt the ratings